Tricky fault diagnosis with a Hyundai - stunorthants26
My mums Hyundai has finally had a proper issue, such that it has been off the road for nearly a week now.

The problem appears to be a glitch with the ESP. It operated without warning on a straight piece of road at 40 mph in top gear at a steady speed, ESP light flashing. It appeared to brake the NSF wheel, possibly others but it pulled hard to the left, and brought the car almost to a halt on a main road before it would release the brakes and allow the car to accelarate again.

Hyundai have taken the car off us and given a loan car. Every working day, they have phoned to update us on what progress they have made but they are having trouble locating what caused it to happen and they said that in no uncertain terms, should it have done what it did, so yes there is a problem, but so far, cant find it.
They first got a bunch of codes from the car and sent them to Hyundai who responded with a list of things to look at. This didnt bring anything up so Hynudai have suggested that there is possible water ingress somewhere, but where is anyones guess and it could have originated in another system.
As such, its looking like a lengthly process but my dad has some concerns about the situation.

He knows he cannot reject the car as its too old ( 2005 27k ), but he does not want the car to come back with no fault found either, so he has told the dealer that if they send it back without having discovered the fault, he wants the full facts stated in writing and their assurance that there is no fault - no idea if this is why they are going to such lengths to locate the issue.

His main worry is IF there is a fault and say this happens again and it causes an accident, how will this affect any insurance claims - will it invalidate his insurance? Is he to take the dealers word that it is fault free despite having experienced an obvious problem?
As it stands, neither I, nor my mother who was also in the car at the time, will drive it as it was utterly without warning - the sensation that you have no control when you know you should is frightening.

How is it best to handle this? My dad asked me to pose the question as he has never had a problem as serious as this that cannot be found. He cannot currently afford to replace with without loosing a bucket of money either.
Tricky fault diagnosis - injection doc
Just a stab in the dark!, has the car got matching tyres on it ie same make? I have had in the past some odd combination of esp & abs faults when different brands although same size have been fitted. I have found that the same size tyre but different brand can vary significantly in diameter causing faults at 40 or 70 mph. Im not saying this will cure it I'm just asking the question
Tricky fault diagnosis - stunorthants26
Funny you should say that - my dad had the front tyres replaced recently, but the new ones were put onto the back and and the original back ones put onto the front - would the non original rubber on the back affect the front?

Very interesting thought, thanks!
also mean't to add has the tracking been adjusted? is the steering wheel in the dead straight ahead posiyion when driving in a straight line? most esp systems have a sensor on the steering columb & if its out it miss computes!. & with a combination of tyres could cause a problem that doesn't throw up a fault because there is nothing wrong!. I would follow these theory's up next, I'm not commenting on the tyre mix due to the cretinus remarks made by some threaders who lack experience & a technical mind I'm just hinting at experiences I have had with working in a diagnostic field for thirty + years
The ESP has now been ruled out by the dealer and they are working on the assumption that its a fault in the braking system, most likely ABS although they have already found a faulty brake light switch which they say could possibly be related.

What is nice, is that at no point have we been fobbed off whatsoever - so often you read about cars going back for the same fault time and time again but the dealer doesnt find it.
Its a real shame the problem has occurred but its comforting to know the dealer takes it seriously - apparently its proving quite a challenge for the mechanics as they arent used to having such brain teasers with Hyundais!
Have had word from Hyundai who have diagnosed a faulty ABS pump and are sending it back to Hyundai to be stripped and checked, replacing the current one with a new one.
They intend to do a 100 mile road test as its a safety related issue.
If they hear back from factory that there was no issue, they will have the car back in but they are hoping that it is a mechainical failure in the pump as all electrical systems have checked OK.

Still impressed with their ongoing effort to keep us informed each day and the offer of a larger loan car for a long trip taking 4 up plus luggage ( we have a Getz diesel currently and its a bit small for luggage ). They dont have anything on the loan car fleet but are trying to source something from the group.

thamks for update, sounds like one of the control valves in the pump sticking. It sounds like you have had a very attentive dealer who have taken the issue seriously they are one of very few. well done & hope it all gets sorted.If they fix it I wouldn't mind putting money on it that you would buy another car from that dealer should the situation arise
Regards