Audi A4 TDi 115 (2000) - Power loss - Dieselhead135
About two months ago started to get intermittent problem with power loss, as if turbo wasn't working, turning it off and re-starting got rid of the problem for a while but now the problem is constant .... 0-60 in about 40 secs! .. Have had the air flow meter changed - no change, what next? any suggestions?
AUDI A4 TDi 115 (2000) - Power loss - Roly93
Next step is to look at the EGR (N75) valve function as this is the most likely culprit of these symptoms after the MAF, as you would be loosing most of your turbo boost to the exhaust system.
AUDI A4 TDi 115 (2000) - Power loss - Dieselhead135
Thanks for this, I am not too familiar with the workings of the turbo charger, but if I'm making a suggestion to my mechanic I'd like to know in broad terms where abouts on the system this component is located and what it does.... is it a valve for controlling the flow of exhaust gases? From your experience is there a lot of work involved in it's replacement and what would the likely component cost be?

AUDI A4 TDi 115 (2000) - Power loss - Roly93
The EGR valve is a valve that is designed to open when the engine is in an 'off boost' condition to route exhaust gasses back into the inlet manifold for emissions reasons. It is situated between the exhaust near to the turbo and bolted onto the inlet manifold nearby. It is a fiddly job to replace but not overly difficult to the mechanic who has done one before. I'm not sure of the cost of a new one, but it may be that it only needs a thorough clean as they tend to get jammed up with horrible gunge inside the inlet manifold, or alternately it may just be the vacuum diaphragm thats gone.
AUDI A4 TDi 115 (2000) - Power loss - Screwloose
Dieselhead

Your next step is a code read at any garage with suitable equipment. [That's most of them.]

Then come back with the code for advice.
AUDI A4 TDi 115 (2000) - Power loss - nortones2
Mechanical/pneumatic problems may not be captured by the code reader Look at the vacuum pipes for security/ageing, the turbo variable vane mechanism, before handing out cash or giving carte blanche to the mechanic. Issues on both these have been covered before. If they are relevant, the solutions cost pennies in comparison with the garage prefered diagnosis......Go for the basics first.