'93 218 immobiliser - piers
I have a 1993 Rover 218SLD Turbo, which recently suffered an alarm malfunction, I disconnected the alarm, but this seems to enable the immobiliser, which I cannot find a way to reset. Having spoken to Rover they are relatively clueless, and suggest I bring it in. Given that I cannot start it that would mean me paying for recovery to a dealer, given the value of a the car, I was wondering if anyone knew the way to reset the immobiliser without me having to go to a dealer. The key has no fob, and there seems to be no code anywhere. Alternatively does anyone no how I can temporarily by pass the immobiliser (a contradiction in terms, I understand) just so I can get it start to drive to the dealer ??

Subject line tweaked - PU

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/10/2007 at 18:45

Re: rover 218 immobliser - smokie
On a Sterling I had a while back there was something about putting the key in the driver lock then turning it to the right them left then right etc according to your code eg 234 would be two turns to right, then 3 to left then 4 to right.

I can't remember the exact purpose of this but it might apply to yours, and might jog someone's memory about this function.
Re: rover 218 immobliser - mike harvey
I can imagine some people in the business having a great deal of fun with enquiries like this, along the lines of " Yes, pull the handbrake lever 4 times, press the horn once, wind the window up and down, and kick each tyre in a clockwise direction. If that doesn't work....... " there was something over the phone by supposed BT engineers a few years ago that got people to kneel down a few yards away from the phone and quote some phrase or other louder each time. Hilarious from the other end of the phone. How do we know when they are taking the micky?
Mike
I see your point, but let me reassure you I am not in the business.

I was so sick of the car I even chucked my Haynes manual away so I can't refer back to it. But there was definitely a procedure like that which was something to do with the security code...I think I got alerted to it by Rover themselves when I called them with a problem, I just can't recall what the problem was...
Re: rover 218 immobliser - mike harvey
Smokie, I was not for one moment suggesting your reply was not sensible, it was that some of the procedures sound outrageous enough to be wind-ups, and how do we know? I remember setting the engine management ecu on 800 series Rovers involved pressing the clutch 8 times while turning the ignition on and off or something, and it worked! Remember putting your cassette / radio in the deep freeze over night to de-code it? I fell for that one;prat!
Mike
OK I remember why I needed this procedure. The car had separate plip and key. 1 plip died and Rover wanted an arm and a leg to fix it (supply was about £35 and also needed workshop time to programme, total around £100 IIRC), so I carried on with just one. The procedure was a failsafe for me to be able to unlock the car and use it (ie disable the immobiliser) using the key if the second plip broke too.

I got the hint from Rover HQ themselves, but later found the detail in the car handbook (the Rover one, not Haynes)

Might help...
Re: rover 218 immobliser - piers
I not only have no code, but the key does not have a fob or plip, I have even disconnected the battey and alarm fuse, but imobliser is still enabled. Any way of shorting it?? Rover themselves are no help, and just suggest I bring it in, which difficult considering it won't start
Re: rover 218 immobliser - Dave Lacey aka Dr Dave
Lock and unlock the drivers door with the key; that should disarm the alarm/immobiliser and enable the engine to be started.
Re: rover 218 immobliser - lily_my_lovely
No that doesn't work!

If you don't turn off the alarm/immobiliser with the fob, when you open the drivers door with the key, the alarm goes off and the immobiliser stays on!

What Smokie said was correct, in your Rover manual there would have been a card with your "Emergency Key Access" (EKA) code on. Its a 4 digit code which you enter to disable the immobiliser using your key and the drivers lock in the same kinda way you would open a safe.

To active the code, you need to do the following:-

1. Open and close drivers door
2. Put key in lock and turn to the lock position (clockwise) and hold there for minimum of 5 seconds
3. Then turn key to the left (anticlockwise/unlock) for the correct number of turns for the first digit. So if your code is 3456, you turn the key cleanly to the left 3 times, returning fully to the centre position after each turn of the key.
4. Then turn key to the right (clockwise/lock) for the correct number of turns for the second digit
5. Then turn key to the left (anticlockwise/unlock) for the correct number of turns for the third digit
6. Then turn key to the right (clockwise/lock) for the correct number of turns for the fourth digit
7. Finally, turn the key to the right (anticlockwise/unlock) on more time to open the door and this will remobilse the engine.

If you cock up, you will hear a warning bleep and you will need to open and close the door to cancel the error and enter the code again.

After three failed attempts the system invokes a delay of 10 minutes before you can try again.

I can't work out the length of time it will take you to try all combinations if you haven't got your EKA.. lets see 9999 combinations, with 3 attempts every 15 minutes.. is that about 34 days? Good Luck anyway!
Re: rover 218 immobliser - joanne42
i have tried this do i have to wait till the door looks then count or does the locking unlocking count towards this if my code was say 3456 do i unlock and count 3 then lock and count 4 etc or do i count the lock as the first i treid this and my alarm has now come on but car is still not starting although its turning over changed sparks ignitor module and re soldered main relay ant ideas
Re: rover 218 immobliser - samc123
i done mine by ..... locking the door with the key then un locking it , press the lock button on fob until the doors lock then unlock with fob and away u go well it did it for me any ways gd luck all
rover 218 immobliser - Doc
Have a look at:

www.advanced-diagnostics.co.uk/rover.pdf

This deals with the Rover alarm system.
rover 218 immobliser - DL
"No that doesn't work!"

Yes - It would on a pre-94.5MY car, believe me.....
rover 218 immobliser - philr
Is there a simple answer to this problem? I am no mechanic. I am on long term sick and can not afford to get Rover to sort this problem out.

The battery was removed and replaced by the previous owner and now the car will not start.

Are car alarms and immobilisers designed to deter criminals or to immobilise people from using their cars? Oh, for the simple days...
Lock and unlock the drivers door using the key.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
rover 218 immobliser - Civic8
The immobiliser is built into alarm system. so by removing fuse it wont work. You will still need keycode to deactivate or sync alarm with immobiliser. As has been said if remote was used to lock car. it is needed to unlock. then use the key to lock/unlock. I see no reason why rovers wont have a record of the code as long as you show reg/no chassis/no and proof of ownership?
--
Was mech1
Well, if you are doing bangernomics, I would simply lay in some new wiring to the starter motor and fuel injection stop solenoid and do without the immobiliser altogether.

This will enable you to start and stop the car normally but you won't have any immobilisation at all, which on a banger, isn't really a problem, is it?
--
rover 218 immobliser - Simon
DL, I know you are the Rover expert so hopefully you may know the answer to my question. My Rover Metro, 95 M reg, has no working remote plips anymore and therefore the immobilser is never activated. (I just turn the key in the door to use the car). Now this has never caused any problems yet but I know that if the battery goes flat or gets disconnected then the immobilser will activate. On a similar principle to your answer for the Rover 218, could I get away with re-wiring the starter and fuel injection stop solenoid in order to cut out the immobilser circuit altogether or does my car work in a different way?
Yes, Simon - the same procedure applies in your case aswell.
--
Thks DL, advise appreciated. Hopefully a rookie like me can identify the solenoid and starter motor ;o)

I am wondering if the car alarm is still going to be a problem. I don't think they have a key fob any more, I think it might be lost.

Is the car alarm easily disconnected? If so how?

Many thanks in advance DL.
Disconnecting the alarm/immobiliser will cause you more problems (IMO) than it will cure.

I would go the route previously mentioned and forget about the alarm, it isn't the greatest thing anyway.
--
Thanks DL. I assume you mean bypass alarm by locking unlocking the drivers door.
Not certain what DL`s last post was refering to. if you mean you have petrol/single point/multi point injection. it is controlled by ECU. this ECU if the same as 2/400 series has inbuilt alarm/immobiliser.It isnt possible to rewire.Would like DL to confirm though. And you didnt state what cc and model?
--
Was mech1
diesel rover 218sd, turbo diesel, M reg.
Can only repeat first post I made. I doubt you or anyone else would want to get involved in rewiring. would cost more than car is worth. assuming its possible. which I doubt. would like DL`s input on this.ie oppinion
--
Was mech1
rover 218 immobliser - k8r4u
Had exactly the same problem with my L-reg 414 last week. The AA sorted it out by:

1. Open drivers door, open bonnet, wind down drivers window, close drivers door.
2. When the alarm stops, lift the bonnet and disconnect the negative lead from the battery.
3. Connect a power pack to the positive terminal and the engine block.
4. reach in the drivers window, switch on the ignition and leave for 3 minutes.
5. Switch off the ignition, disconnect power pack, re-connect battery.

Bingo ! car starts.
>>The AA sorted it

First time I have heard of AA sorting it out..Good on them

Ps. thanks for the info
--
Steve
rover 218 immobliser - Alarm magic man
hi, its is realy simple to get rid of the immobliser, {information on how has been deleted - I suggest you email Matthew, using the address below for details of how to disable the immobiliser - DD}

and problems i can send over via an email a pic on witch cables to cut and join together

have fun guys!!!!

my email address is, matthew@gismocity.co.uk

and my website is www.gismocity.co.uk (as you have might have worked out its all about gismo's)
Amm,Not a good idea to publish this on any site,it could lead to vehicles being nicked.I would suggest as you have the answer to have said e`mail me for (how to do it)not common knowledge to most, only the few due to reasons I mentioned,rather hope it is deleted
--
Steve
rover 218 immobliser - Dynamic Dave
rather hope it is deleted

It has been. DD.
Thanks DD
--
Steve
rover 218 immobliser - alex.kh
Hi DD any chance you can send me the info on getting around the immobliser as i have broken one of the buttons off the remote. So the car is stuck on the drive and i am gettin ear ache from the Mrs. Thanks Alex
Hi DD any chance you can send me the info ....

All the info is in "Alarm magic man's" post, which is just a few posts uphill of this one. You need to contact him (through the email address) mentioned in that post. DD
sorry guys, didnt think befor i posted!!!, im so used to telling ppl, as i fit alarms and do it day in day out

hope i didnt upset any1
all the best

rover 218 immobliser - bell boy
good man,.............i saved it just in case for future reference,you never know the science museum might get one of those rovers in a case one day and need the start details.........:)

rover 218 immobliser - big sue
My son has Rover 414, he lost fob at T in the park and has also lost code!! He changed the battery and was suprised to find the immobliser on!! He needs his car for work. Can you e-mail details on how to get rid of this?
Ta
Susan

susan_jarvie_2004@hotmail.com
rover 218 immobliser - idokostevens
..i saved it just in case for future reference you never know the
science museum might get one of those rovers in a case one day and need
the start details.........:)
I'll appreciate if you can send me the procedure. My wife's rover 414 has been parked for 8weeks now. the car battery was flat and we removed for recharge. Upon recharge, we found that the fob wouldn't work so we thougt the fob battery was faulty and we changed that too.

the fob has not worked till now although i later learnt from the web that there was a procedure to follow in changing the batteries. I have tried all the procedures but it seems it is too late in the day for that. The central lock is working fine, if i use the key in the driver's door. I have been informed it's the immobiliser and my mechanic informs me that there's no help he can render.

I'll really appreciate if I you can assist me in this regard. Matthew's website is tagged "inactive" while his email does not work too as it is based on the inactive website.

Kindly assist if you still have the procedure saved. My email address is idokostevens@gmail.com.

Thanx in advance.
>>Kindly assist if you still have the procedure saved. My email address is idokostevens@gmail.com.

Procedure is for the petrol ecu,which isnt going to help you,but a company does reprogram the immobiliser to be shut off.

try
0208 315 8309
www.ecuclinic.com I dont know them personaly but hear they are good

Edited by dk54 on 30/10/2007 at 18:03

rover 218 immobliser - idokostevens
Procedure is for the petrol ecu which isnt going to help you but a company
does reprogram the immobiliser to be shut off.

My wife's car has a petrol ecu. thanx for the number and website. I'll give them a try. although personally i would prefer if i can sort out the problem myself.
Any chance you still have the info on how to dissable the immobiliser on the rovers as mine is stuck on the drive after i broke the remote & i dont fancy spending loads of cash to fix an old banger ! Any advice or tech info will be a great help.

My E-mail address is - alexonthespanners@hotmail.com

Thanks. Alex
Alex, sorry to sound blunt, but what part of

"All the info is in "Alarm magic man's" post, which is just a few posts uphill of this one. You need to contact him (through the email address) mentioned in that post."

did you fail to understand?

DD
yep been there done that and the e-mail address and the web page is INACTIVE as mentioned in other posts so i was appealing to anyone who had saved this info for future use. thanks Alex
rover 218 immobliser - bell boy
have they got one in yet old fruit?
hi, its is realy simple to get rid of the immobliser,
{information on how has been deleted - I suggest you email
Matthew, using the address below for details of how to disable
the immobiliser - DD}
and problems i can send over via an email a pic
on witch cables to cut and join together
have fun guys!!!!
my email address is, matthew@gismocity.co.uk
and my website is www.gismocity.co.uk (as you have might have worked
out its all about gismo's)

hi ppl, iv just setup a formroom for ppl wanting to know how to sort out the rover's, please go to www.gismocity.co.uk/rover/
rover 218 immobliser - PJ182
hey all i just want to say what a great help you have all been with my problem.

i have had the same problem with an L reg 218 SLD rover and have spent two days on it! finally, after finding the security code (and it not working) and also trying many things to bypass the immobiliser we took the door pannel off to see if there were any obvious problems.

all that had happened was the switch had come away, and either needed to be taped up (to stop it bieng used) or fix it back into place with some superglue. after doing this we managed to mobilise the car as normal and now do not have a problem.

so, i would suggest to everyone with a problem like this on this car to TAKE THE DOOR PANNEL OFF, see if there are any obvious problems (like a switch hanging off the lock mechanism) and to work from there. this also seems like a weak point in the car and therefore may be a design fault, as it looked as if the previous owner had this problem.

hope this helpes everyone, and saves you some money (we saved 80 quid!!)

feel free to email me with questions, PJ
rover 218 immobliser - Robin the Technician
www.gismocity.co.uk/rover/

This link does not work?????

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
>>This link does not work?????

it hasnt worked for months so assume it dont exist anymore
it hasnt worked for months so assume it dont exist anymore

According to swhois.net/ the site was registered on 28-Sep-2005, and the renewal date was 28-Sep-2007. That's the reason why it doesn't work. The registrant hasn't renewed his website.
rover 218 immobliser - scooby69
please could u send me information on how to disable immobiliser as i rang rover and they said it will cost about 300 pounds to fix and the immob is useless anyway i wii be very greatfull for any info
rover 218 immobliser - scooby69
yes
rover 218 immobliser - mark2006
hi, i have just replaced the head gasket on my rover 620 and left the battary off too long and now the immobaliser has kicked in, i have no code or fob and would like the info on how to bypass / disable it please.
please can you e mail me details
mark260681@yahoo.co.uk
mant thanks
mark
please can you e mail me details

It mentions above that you have to email Alarm magic man, not for him to email you. As he hasn't visited this site since Feb 2006, it's very unlikely that he will see your request anyway.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=5358&m...e

DD.
rover 218 immobliser - mark2006
you asked to get in touch with details

rover620 sli
s reg
no fob or master key
honda engine
immobliser locked on

am wanting to disable it or reset.
many thanks mark
Mark2006,

It's no good posting the info here. As I previously said, YOU have to email Alarm magic man. His email address and website are clearly mentioned in the link I posted last night.

DD.
rover 218 immobliser - dj67blue
Hi, I had this same problem with my Rover 414 and after 2 weeks trial and error I found out that if you disconnect the white plug hidden behind the front bumper (below the passenger side light) for about 5mins then that resets the alarm/immobiliser system.
'93 218 immobiliser - manred
what ol matey said with the key is true goto www.remotekey.co.uk/cars/rover/eka-code/ this will tell you in detail what to do. you must do it precisely