Trader advice - nclpilot
Hi

I have just bought a 51 reg mondeo with 99000 on the clock. The dealer has sold it cheap (at least I am led to believe at £2300) and I have been given a 28 days engine and gearbox warranty. I took it for a test drive and all was OK.
Having driven the car over the last few days, the car seems to be juddering when in 2nd/3rd gear. Also, it is taking two/three goes for it to start. Does anyone have any ideas as to the problem? Someone suggested spark plugs.

Would I be covered for the above issues under the 28 days engine and gearbox warranty?

Thanks guys
Trader advice - Collos25
Take it back and get your money back because it sounds like the clutch is on the way out and it ain't going to be cheap and neither was the car .
Trader advice - spikeyhead {p}
What engine is in it and what spec level? That will make a big difference to whether you've got something cheap or not.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Trader advice - Altea Ego
99000? very convenient number that! bet its clocked
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Trader advice - scrapmetal
"99000 very convenient number that!"

Looks like someone wanted to to sell just before the 100,000 mile mark, probably why it has been traded in.
Trader advice - LHM
it sounds like the clutch is on the way out ..........

Ah, but it was an engine and gearbox warranty - nothing about no clutch, guv...... :-)
Trader advice - nclpilot
The car is a 1.8 zetec.

Cant be clutch as it has just been replaced with receipts retained.

Oh, well looks as though I will be shelling out
Trader advice - local yokel
Why can't it be the clutch? All you have is a piece of paper.
Trader advice - sine
Its very unlikely to be anything wrong with the engine but is likely to be something outside the engine, e.g. a sensor, airleak, spark plugs, injectors.
In anycase the 28 days warrenty thing means nothing.
Have a look at www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=43

Your description of the fault doesn't suggest to me that anything is wrong with the clutch.
Have you approached the selling dealer? Report the fault soon.
Trader advice - jc2
Doesn't sound much like clutch;sounds more like misfire.
Trader advice - cheddar
>>the car seems to be juddering when in 2nd/3rd gear. Also, it is taking two/three goes for it to start.>>

... doesnt sound like clutch, perhaps an air leak on the inlet.

Does it have service history?
Could the juddering be as simple as plugs and HT leads?
Trader advice - madf
Just take it back.. trader to sort it.
His responsibility under law.
madf
Trader advice - nclpilot
I have taken the car back and left it with them.
When I called they were a little hesitant to take it back, but did agree to take a look.

The problem seems to occur when accelerating in any gear - the car seems to 'judder' but the rev counter does not change ie it stays constant. As regards the start up, it wont start first time, it always takes at least two go's. When I test drove it was OK though.
Trader advice - TurboD
ah ,but was it warm for the test drive?
not a cold start then. How long was th etest drive?, 2 miles or 20?
These cars are very cheap unless a really well cared for example with one owner and service history.
But clutches go at 100K often, was it a genuine replacement with the front subframe aligned properly?. What about a read out of the computer, faults etc.?
Trader advice - nclpilot
No, the car was cold when I tested it. I took it on around a 8-10 mile drive through the town and onto a motorway so I got a good feel for it.

It has two owners with a FSH.
Trader advice - yorkiebar
Sorry but clutches dont just "go" at 100k. They can die at any time depending on how the car is driven and the driver and the terrain. And what is a "genuine" ford clutch?

100k miles on a car means nothing. Its how it has achieved the miles that matters . A 50k mile bargain may be a lot worse than a 100k mile car.

Dont just look at mileage.

And the problem sounds more like misfire/breathing problem than clutch imo.
Trader advice - nclpilot
An update for one and all - collected car this afternoon and the problem was a misfire. All repaired
So what did they replace?
Trader advice - nclpilot
Spark plugs. Runs like a treat now
Trader advice - TurboD
as a follow up to clutch wear. my last three vehicles have had clutches wear out at 108K, 110K and 78K.
No they don't 'go', they slip , gradually at first ,hen more ,as you ignore them.
I use cars in an 'average' fashion, I presume 'Motorway milers' get far more and 'clucth riders' less.
Trader advice - Lud
I am amazed that a) any dealer would sell a car with knackered plugs and b) that any driver wouldn't think of looking at them.

Bit variable in the back room, what?
Trader advice - nclpilot
Lud, I do not really have any great understanding of cars which I why I go to traders and 'trust' what they tell me. I wouldnt even know where to look for plugs.
See my post above! Just what Dr LY suggested.