Renault 5 (1996) radiator prob - ColRenualt
Recently my Renault 5 1996 Campus has started to have what I may be heating problems. The problem seems to be around the radiator overflow container. On journeys where I do not have to idle such as motorways, the car is fine. However if there is heavy traffic and I am idling for a extended time, smoke comes out of the bonnet and there is a bubbling noise from the overflow container, which is very hot to touch. Refilling it with water works for a small period of time, however it comes back when I have to endure heavy traffic again. It also seems to cause the car to rev very highly when interchanging gears, and sometimes almost stalls it. My original thought was that the radiator fan was not functioning, however now I have eliminated this I'm not sure what it could be.

Any thought appreciated!
Chris

Renault 5 (1996) radiator prob - bell boy
if you are sure that the fan is working as per it should then next look at the radiator with your eyes,between the round cores that the water travels down are flimsy bits of ali that act as surface area to cool these cores down,are these all nearly in place or have they deteriated and few and far between?
next thing being careful that the fan can come on at any time run your hand over the radiator when hot looking for cool spots which means blocked radiator
after that if everything ok suspect no impeller left on the water pump internally
make sure pressure cap is up to manufactureres spec 14lbs? or whatever
after that its head gasket

im sure somebody can add more?

Renault 5 (1996) radiator prob - Simon
I would agree with bell boy and say look at the condition of the radiator next.
Renault 5 (1996) radiator prob - Civic8
sounds like w/pump to me,partial blocked rads usually cause overheating on runs rather than in town,just my thoughts