VAG 1.9 Tdi losing boost > 3k rpm uphill - mss1tw
My Toledo (2002, nearly 70k miles, 1.9 TDI 110) keeps losing the turbo when I nail it - mostly when going up hill and only ever over 3000rpm, sometimes as high as 4000.

Of course, it's not every time, that would be too simple!

I have a VAG-COM cable arriving soon which should hopefully let me code read it.

I'm aware of some the common problems, just wondered if the uphill and over 3k revs would enable anyone to help me narrow the cause down.

Thanks.

slight alteration to subject line PU
Keep losing boost > 3000rpm uphill - autumnboy
Could be a split somewhere on your piping between the Turbo and Cly.Head. Had the same problem on a PSA 2.0 HDI. Found one of the Pipes split.
Keep losing boost > 3000rpm uphill - dxp55
A mate had a Disco TD5 and he suffered loss of power - turned out to be a loose turbo pipe where it fitted to inlet manifold - put foot down and it blew off -back off was OK on small throttle openings - he was also getting loads of black smoke. - worth a check.
Keep losing boost > 3000rpm uphill - mss1tw
Thanks guys. Have put BP premium diesel and some injector cleaner in so if it's just a gum up somewhere that should clear it.

Will have a look around for damaged pipes!
Keep losing boost > 3000rpm uphill - adverse camber
or the maf ?

(general cover all suggestion for loss of power)
Keep losing boost > 3000rpm uphill - mss1tw
Does the MAF knock the turbo out as well then? Interesting...
Keep losing boost > 3000rpm uphill - hm
Mate,

check you pipe work......espacially the one that goes from the turbo to the inlet manifold, that is the big plastic one, check the 2" hose that connects to the turbo to the plastic pipe..oftern they split but you need to wiggle it...if you just look or feel you can miss it.

If you get your VAG com I'm betting it will say your manifold press is abnormal.......

It could be the MAF sensor, everything on these cars talk to each other....try cleaning it first..but I'm still betting the hose issue....

also, not so common on the newer ones but (and this taken from the car by car breakdown) Power loss on TDI 90s and 110s over 3,000rpm can be cured by replacing a thin hose that runs from the exhaust, near the turbo, to the ECU