Mazda 323 or Skoda Octavia - tpj
I am thinking of buying either an 02 reg, or thereabouts, Mazda 323 or Skoda Octavia in 1.6 petrol engine size. Would appreciate comments from anyone who has experienced either. I'm looking for a car that is nice to drive car, both around town and on 100 mile motorway journeys, that will cope with 2 adults, 2 teenagers and luggage.
Mazda 323 or Skoda Octavia - rtj70
No experience of either but the Skoda is bigger isn't it so more space? Estate will certainly have more luggage room.
Mazda 323 or Skoda Octavia - mr.freezer

Don't know much about the Mazda but rear leg room in the previous shape Octavia was not great. I found it difficult to fit a child seat and child behind the passenger seat with my munchkin wife in the front.

Everything else about the car impressed.
Mazda 323 or Skoda Octavia - pete&hisgolf
I have a 1999 323. Plus points are that it handles well and is reliable. I don't have a family, but I think it is generally regarded as having good internal space for a car of its class. It won a Which? magazine 'best used buy' a few years ago. Downsides are the choppy ride, and it feels a bit insubstantial when compared to Octavias that I've had lifts in.
Mazda 323 or Skoda Octavia - barneybee
Having driven both, I'd go for the Octavia. More modern inside and most likely cheaper parts/servicing.

Mazda 323 or Skoda Octavia - movilogo
In what price range you're getting 02 Mazda 323? Incidentally I'm also interested Mazda 323 - but not getting a good example in South East! Even local Mazda dealers can't find one.

A close friend of mine had this car and it had been faultless for 2 years [after that he sold it].

Between the two, my choice will be Mazda!

Pity that late Mazda cars are not that good
Mazda 323 or Skoda Octavia - tpj
Movilogo - the main Mazda UK website has a good search facility for main dealer 323s, although you may have to travel a bit. Locally (South West) an 02 323 seems to be priced between 4k and 5.5k dependant on mileage and spec. Partly why I am looking at both the Skoda or 323 is that you can get decent examples at main dealers/franchises within this price range, plus their reputation for reliability. Also, as I would like a good family car without sizing up to a Mondeo/Passat or MPV.
Mazda 323 or Skoda Octavia - J Bonington Jagworth
"nice to drive"

Depends whether you mean easy or involving. I would guess Mazda for the former and Skoda for the latter, but cars are personal things, and there may be something about either that does or doesn't appeal. I can confirm HJ's opinion of the (older) 323's that they are "sensationally reliable"...
Mazda 323 or Skoda Octavia - expat
I have a Mazda 323 1.6 which I bought new in 1999. Since then nothing has gone wrong. (It will probably blow up now I have said that). I would strongly recommend them. There is quite reasonable room in the back for adults and the hatch is more like a station wagon than most. A very good car.
Mazda 323 or Skoda Octavia - Galad
I've had a (2002) 323 TD since new and with 68k now on the clock the only parts replaced are a set of front pads (plus routine service consumables). Most reliable car I've ever owned. Good rear leg room sacrificing some boot space. Downside though is quality of the ride and seats and it's rather dull to drive. But no regrets. FiL ran a petrol version for 4 years and it was impeccable.
Mazda 323 or Skoda Octavia - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
SWMBO ran a 2001 323F GSI for few years. No problems just routine service plus new front discs and pads (cheap) at 34,000 miles. The burnt out clutch was not her fault by the way.