porsche - rear wheel drive quandary - chrissie
I own an Audi TT, looking for a red one for months, but come accross a boxster porsche, gleaming red, I am worried because its rear wheel drive, had a MR2, back end went on me twice, i do alot of miles, lost confidence in rear wheel drive, but would luv this boxster, any advice???

{Slight edit to subject header to make less vague - DD}
porsche - rear wheel drive quandary - tr7v8
Get some professional driving tuition. And I don't mean IAM, something like an HPC course or similar. Various instructors, give us an idea of where you live & we'll try to help or alternatively ask on Pistonheads or similar.
porsche - rear wheel drive quandary - Mad Maxy
The Boxster is a very safe car with no handling vices. But it can't defy the laws of physics, so my advice would be to treat it with respect, especially at speed. (Goes for any car, actually.)

But watch:

- the costs of maintenance - Porches cost a lot to keep in tip-top condition, and don't take kindly to a 'park it and drive it' mentality
- the costs of servicing, especially if you do high mileage
- fragile interiors, especially early ones
- iffy reliability - early Boxsters especially can go wrong and cost a fortune to put right.

IMO the TT s a much better ownsership proposition - although nothing like the drive of a Boxster. But don't be seduced just by the latter's looks.
porsche - rear wheel drive quandary - OldHand
Main problem with Boxsters is rear main seal (do a google search Porsche RMS) which mean a very expensive rebuild with no guarantee that it won't happen again. Also affect most 996's.

The handling is really benign, treat it with a modicum of respect and it won't bite back. Personally I'd avoid the 2.5 as too slow and too likely to have something wrong with it. Go for a 2.7 or better yet a 3.2 S.

At least the boxster is a 'pukka' sports car, a TT as I'm sure you know is just a tarted up MKIV Golf and while it's a good car it's not a proper sports car.

porsche - rear wheel drive quandary - Bill Payer
I think it depends how old it is - my next door neighbour has an oldish Boxster S and he reckons it doesn't have any form of traction control and is absolutely lethal in the wet.

The newer ones have PSM (Porsche Stability Management) as standard - I've seen that on one of the motoring TV programs and they couldn't even make the car skid on a skid pan with it engaged.
porsche - rear wheel drive quandary - chrissie
Hi
Thanks for that, with other replies, i think i will stick to my tt roadster, its four wheel drive, and most importantly, i feel safe.

chrissie
porsche - rear wheel drive quandary - boxsterboy
Having driven Boxster Ss with and without PSM (Stability Management) on track days I would strongly recommend you tick the PSM box. It's a very gentle interuption that allows a modicum of drift and will be far safer on a wet public road. Without PSM you can get caught out, but you have to have been a bit stupid or unsympathetic to the conditions, unless confronted by a genuine 'accident'.

Boxsters are 'proper' sports cars, unlike TTs which, whilst good in their own right, are a different type of car. If you do get one, I strongly recommend track instruction to fully learn the ropes.