Golf Headlight beam deflector templates - KenC
Can anyone suggest an online website where I can find the outline to make up a headlamp beam deflector(s) for a VW Golf Mk4 - for driving in France.
Unlike certain other manufacturers there is no template in the handbook.
I know all I need is some black tape in the right place.
Headlight beam deflector Templates - Armitage Shanks {p}
The only way I found, to do this on a 307, which has completely clear lenses was to buy the headlamp protecting shields/covers which were marked with the corners of the required masking area. Some change out of £30 as I recall.
Headlight beam deflector Templates - pmh
Park square on about 10m from a vertical surface, mask out one headlamp completely and by trial and error mask the other headlamp when on dip to remove the kickup to the lhs. Repeat for other headlamp.
Tidy up the sticky tape to look neat. But do not use a stanley blade directly on the headlamp if it is not glass!

There have been scare stories in the past about black tape keeping the heat in and damaging the plastic reflectors. I do not know whether this is FUD put out by people selling overpriced bits of sticky translucent plastic (vaguely looking (but only looking!) like a fresnel lens, but to date I have not had problems for the last 20 years. Lets see if the Picasso survives.

--

pmh (was peter)

Headlight beam deflector Templates - topbloke
not sure what year model a mk 4 is but most of the later vw's and audi's have a lever within the headlamp to convert for the continent may be worth looking in the hand book it not done already
Headlight beam deflector Templates - Hamsafar
Yes I'm sure the Mk4 has projector headlamps, so I don't think you can stick something over the lens. But as said above, I also think there is a small metal lever behind the cover on the back of the lamp .
Headlight beam deflector Templates - Armitage Shanks {p}
Black tape causing problems is much worse for Halogen lamps SFAIK due to the heat generated. At £1000 each for a C5 it is worth not getting this wrong!
Headlight beam deflector Templates - jc2
Most projector headlamps have a lever to control the beam.Halogen headlights have been fitted to most cars since the 80's and halogen bulbs are available to fit to older lights.I think you mean gas discharge lights.I don't know about other makes but Ford workshop manuals(genuine ones) normally have a page showing what part of the headlight to cover-not always where you would expect.