M6-M5 ? - borasport20
I need to be travel to Hereford tomorrow morning for a meeting at 10am - does the team think straight M6-M6, or M6-M6 toll M42 M5 ?
--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
M6-M5 ? - cheddar
M6-M6 toll M42-M5 takes you right round Birmingham, dont think that would be better.
M6-M5 ? - Brian Tryzers
And you're as likely to get delayed on the M42 as on the M5. There'll always be traffic at that time - I'd take the most direct route.
M6-M5 ? - Mad Maxy
In my experience (from the junction with the M40) M42-M5-M6 and M42-M6 are the same distance, and just as (un)congested depending on time of day. M6 toll is never congested.
M6-M5 ? - local yokel
> In my experience (from the junction with the M40) M42-M5-M6 and M42-M6 are the same distance

My father, who did Manchester-London 2x weekly, reckoned one was a mile longer than the other - but I can't remember which one, and I can't ask him as he's gone to the great highway in the sky!
M6-M5 ? - Brian Tryzers
Yes, but he was going to the M40. The OP is going to Hereford, which means the M5, and getting to that via the M42 will be almost twice the distance.
M6-M5 ? - Alyn Beattie
Not sure where you are leaving from, but the A49 is worth considering, most of the old bottle necks have now been by passed, eg Ludlow.
--
Alyn Beattie

I\'m sane, it\'s the rest of the world that\'s mad.
M6-M5 ? - borasport20
Alyn - i'm travelling from Wigan to Hereford, and long, long ago, I had a very bad day hitch-hiking down the A49 from Wigan to Hereford. An experience that has left me very averse to
a) Hereford,
b) hitch-hiking
c) Bulmers Farmhouse Rough

none of the route planners suggest the A49, but I might just try it, possibly on the way back, depending what time the meeting ends

--
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
M6-M5 ? - stokie
The A49 section between Warrington and Shrewsbury is slow and winding, took me an hour last time I did that stretch
M6-M5 ? - simonc1978
How about the following: M6 to Stafford, then Telford, Bridgnorth, Kidderminster, Worcester, Hereford?

M6-M5 ? - cheddar
> In my experience (from the junction with the M40) M42-M5-M6 and M42-M6 are the
same distance
My father who did Manchester-London 2x weekly reckoned one was a mile longer than the
other - but I can't remember which one and I can't ask him as he's
gone to the great highway in the sky!

When I did London - Manchester regularly I found M40-M42-M5-M6 invariably the best however the OP is coing from the M6 southbound to Hereford M5 southbound so there is no logic in going east of Brum.
M6-M5 ? - borasport20
f.y.i, I took the M6-M56-A49 - 3 1/2 hours there, a more leisurely 4 hours + stops on the way back.
50% of the time you've got 'open' road, 50% of the time you've got a queue of lorries stuck behind a tractor and no hope of overtaking.

Glorious day, beautiful scenery, buzzards everywhere, got through 6 cd's of a Henning Mankell novel - on the whole, it probably took just as long as going round the motorway, but, once I knew I could get there close to my ETA, and once you've come to terms with the fact that if you can't overtake you can't overtake, it becomes a very relaxing experience. Doesn't mean I'd want to do it every day though !

--
www.mikes-walks.co.uk