Toyota carina e - question? - Greg R
Hi everyone

I own a toyota carina e, and have LPG installed.

My question is:

I have had installed the flash lube system, of which details can be found at www.flashlube.com.au/valvesaverkit/index.html

When an engine normally runs, what flows where the lubricant is allowed in (between the butterfly valve and inlet manifold).

The reason I ask, is if it is petrol, then could I use petrol as a lubricant alternative safely as I have found that the flash lube smells exactly the same as petrol. Can this effect fueling in the engine etc?

Your expertise is much appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

Toyota carina e - question? - mjm
I don't think it is petrol. Adding petrol at that point would affect the fueling. Petrol has no lubrication properties. It is probably an upper cylinder lubricant such as Redex.
I was under the impression that petrol lubricates - that is the reason LPG can be bad for an engine as it doesn't have these lubrication qualities.

When you say redex, which additive would that be?

Thanks
If you log onto the Frost restoration products site, and type Redex into the search engine, it will show you the product.

www.frost.co.uk/

In the "olden days" whenever dad filled the Bedford CA van up with 2 star the pump attendant always asked if he wanted a "shot" of redex with each gallon. It was supposed to lubricate the valve guides and upper cylinder walls. Whether it worked or not I don't know.

I am assuming that the kit you have fitted to the Carina is attempting the same thing.
www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8888&fro...0(250ml)

So in theory this should do the same thing as the Flashlube?
It isn't exactly the same on paper. The flashlube is said to contain a substitute for lead as well as the upper cylinder lubricant.

Is this the same 1992 Carina as you posted about in September 2004? If it is and you have had no valve/cylinder head problems then I would doubt that you need anything added.