VW: New tyres with tyre pressure monitor - Gordon A
Hopefully this isn't a daft question, but about to get some new front tyres for my 2006 Passat that's got the tyre pressure monitoring option, and was wondering if there's a different procedure for fitting tyres to cars with pressure monitoring? I ain't got a clue how it works, hence why I'm not sure if changing the tyres is the same as on a vehicle without TPM!

TIA
VW: New tyres with tyre pressure monitor - Collos25
The sensors are in the valves make sure the tyre fitter knows this so he does not try to remove them also that the wheels are returned to the same position and are not taken to far away from the car.
VW: New tyres with tyre pressure monitor - Big Vern
Not too familiar with the VW system, but in general make sure the fitter knows about the TPM sensor. He should avoid using the spade to break the bead at the valve, elsewhere is ok, but just take care that the stretching bead does not foul on the TPM sensor.

If the tyre changing head is at 12 o clock you should start removing the tyre from the rim by placing the valve at 3 o clock. This way the tyre iron is first inserted 90 degrees behind the sensor and by the time the head gets round to the sensor the bead is off the rim and places no load on the sensor.

The sensors are tested for fitment stresses but you can do some damage to them if you do not take a little bit of care, especially with low profile tyres.

When you look at your valves are they rubber like a normal valve or metal and held in place with a nut?

The previously posted advice about trying to put the same rims back on the same position in the car may save alot of hastle however good systems shouls be able to cope with this, unfortunatly I do not know too much about the VW system and the advice may save you a trip to the dealer to get the wheels programmed back to the correct location.

Out of intrest how much does VW charge for the TPM option?

Search on wikipedia for TPMS to get an idea of what the sensor is likely to look like.