peugeot 206s 1.4 tiptronic auto fault - angieb
hi there, can anyone help me please

i just bought a 2004 peugeot 1.4 206 s semi automatic. I bought it from a local garage with 5k on the clock so I rang the previous owner (who was a nun) and she confirmed the mileage to me and also that the car had no faults.

I had had the car about 10 days when the following fault occured:- the car lurched forward, the gearbox clunked and the Sport & Snow indicator lights came on together along with an audible bleep, the car then lost acceleration, it didn't stop or feel like it was going to stop, it was just really sluggish and if I had to stop at lights or a junction it was very very slow pulling away again. I looked in the handbook and it said the following "If the Sport & Snow indicator lights flash, accompanied by an audible signal and a message on the multi-function display, consult a PEUGEOT dealer".

I took the car back to where I bought it from and they ran diagnostic tests which showed nothing, the mechanic said it could have been a one off blip on the cars computer and to bring it back if it happened again. It has now happened several times and is going back in to the garage this week. In fairness the garage are really good and I trust them implicitly but should they be looking at the fault whilst the car is still under the Peugeot warranty ? Also if this garage try to fix it and make it worse I assume I won't be able to then take it back to Peugeot ?

In between times it runs like a dream, but it is quite unnerving when it happens. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen please ? Is it dangerous ?

Finally how would I stand if I asked for a refund ? I drive young children up & down the motorway in this and when it loses acceleration it is really scary and to be honest I have lost all confidence in the car now, am I within my rights to ask for a refund or am I obliged to let them repair it ?

Thanks for any advice, I don't think the mechanic has any idea as to what is causing it so I am sure he would appreciate some info too