Oil Spec change question,confused - misterp

I can get an oil and filter change on my Diesel corolla 2003 for £25 from National..Much cheaper than Toyota.

However they specify the oil to be used as Visco 7000 0w-40

I enquired at my Dealership last service, and they said they used Shell Helix 10w-40

The handbook says ''Oil grade ACEA,b1,API CF-4 or CF''

Visco is CF

The hand book also says ''SAE 5W-30 is the best choice for fuel economy and good starting in cold weather,if you use SAE 10W-30 or higher at very low temperatures the engine may be difficult to start''

Basically, will I be ok with this oil from National as an interim,until my next main dealer service in November??

Thanks
Oil Spec change question,confused - quizman

The Visco 0W/40 from National will be better than the Helix 10W/40, so you will certainly be OK. If you want the same lower spec oil as the Helix, National do a semi sythetic oil for £20, I think it is Duckhams.
Oil Spec change question,confused - Dave N
If the book says use SAE 5W-30 CF, then use it. You would also do well to use a genuine Toyota filter.
Oil Spec change question,confused - MW
A 0w-40 oil will be superior, as it is thinner in winter (when you need it) and therefore offers better protection. Being thin, it is easier for the motor to spin over and start. This Visco oil is a top spec, and at that price amazing. I might be very careful about a decent filter though. Take your own,; you are still quids in.
Oil Spec change question,confused - misterp
Interestingly I swung by my local National this morning, Knowing the online qouted price (without 10% online discount) to be £26 .

The guy then proceeded to quote me £35 ( £26 for semi synthetic)!! I played along asking if they had the correct filter in stock. He got out his unipart catologue and could't find a filter for my Corolla 2.0l D4D 53 plate. I suggested I supplied a toyota filter,and he point blank refused to consider it, burbling on that ''if anything wen't wrong...'' I gave up confirming that he was unable to provide any service for me.

Makes me think I'll just stick to 10k oil changes if its this much bother
Oil Spec change question,confused - Bill Payer
Makes me think I'll just stick to 10k oil changes if its this much bother

On the whole, I'd rather my cars were left alone than messed around with un-necessarily. It?ll leak oil afterwards, or they?ll round-off the sump plug, or only refit some of the undertray bolts.

Regarding the grade of oil, I?m not sure it matters much in the UK due to our relatively mild year round temperatures. My car (Mercedes C270Cdi) suggests a wide range of different grades according to the ambient temp, but it looks like anything from 0-20 would do when cold, and from 30 to 50 when hot. xxW30 oils mainly came along as they improve economy slightly, although it seems to be important on some engines - Ford Zetec engines can have problems with sticky valve gear if greater than W30 is used.