avensis diesel or petrol? - scfc_151
Im interested in a toyota avensis estate 2004. Ive seen a 1.8 petrol but have always driven diesels.

I was wondering with regards to fuel and servicing, which would i be better off with

I drive on average 10000 a year and my current car get between 45-50mpg which im very happy with.

Any info on drive quality etc appreciated

Thanks
avensis diesel or petrol? - Brian Tryzers
If it's just about the costs, a petrol engine will probably cost you less overall. But if you like the whole diesel driving experience - and the Avensis diesels are very nice - I suggest you calculate the cost of each option and see if you're prepared to pay the extra for the diesel. If it was me, I probably would.
avensis diesel or petrol? - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Avoid the petrol 1.8 VVTi - oil consumption issues have dogged this engine in both the previous and current shape Avensis. I believe the 1.8 may be the only Avensis with Electric Power Steering, which is a personal dislike of mine.

As for the diesels, I think in 2004 they were only making the belt-cam 114ps 2.0, which never had a brilliant reputation for drivability. A chain-cam 150ps 2.2 was introduced sometime in 2005 I think, this is an excellent engine in my opinion (which is why I bought an Avensis fitted with one). At facelift time last summer, the 2.0 diesel was replaced with a new 130ps chain-cam 2.0 - by all accounts it's far superior to the original 2.0.

So, if it's petrol go for a 2.0, if you do lots of miles, see if you can stretch to a 2.2 diesel - cheapest examples I have seen on Toyota's website are between £11k and £12k.

The car itself is excellent, in my opinion, and I would strongly recommend one. For more opinions you might want to look at the Avensis forum (google it).
avensis diesel or petrol? - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Sorry - I see you have already said how many miles you do. I'd still recommend a 2.2 D4D if you can find one in budget - superbly refined motorway cruiser, under 2000rpm @ 70mph.