The wheezing Cavalier (Vaux'95/2.0/GLS). - FotheringtonThomas
Sometimes when turning the steering wheel there's an odd wheezing noise, seemingly coming from somewhere behind the dash. just in front of the steering wheel. What might that be?
The wheezing Cavalier (Vaux'95/2.0/GLS). - bell boy
might be a top dry bearing bush
consider taking the steering wheel and squab off to lightly oil it
battery disconnected first though
theres only me on here likes letting airbags off
The wheezing Cavalier (Vaux'95/2.0/GLS). - FotheringtonThomas
Thank you for your reply. The wheezing sound seems to happen near the extremes of lock. The car's done 164K, if that helps.
The wheezing Cavalier (Vaux'95/2.0/GLS). - injection doc
Sounds like the power steering to me, is the belt tight & try changing PAS oil, take the return off & put in bucket, start & fill very quickly from big supply! only takes a few secounds. It may just be the pump getting tired
The wheezing Cavalier (Vaux'95/2.0/GLS). - Dynamic Dave
If it sounds like it's coming from directly behind the steering wheel then it *could* be the sprung brass finger that makes contact with the connector ring behind the steering wheel for the horn. On my old Cavalier it was dry, and a small amount of contact grease soon shut it up.

Bear in mind that if you have to remove the steering wheel, then there's the airbag to take into consideration. Disconnect the battery for at least an hour (to allow the capacitors to discharge) before contemplating removing the wheel.
The wheezing Cavalier (Vaux'95/2.0/GLS). - cheddar
Could simply be a bit of foam sound deadedning rubbing against the column.
The wheezing Cavalier (Vaux'95/2.0/GLS). - Victorbox
Could be a symptom of the dreaded Cavalier / SAAB cracked bulkhead problem. SAAB forums mention a wheezing sound when turning steering wheel as bulkhead moves with steering rack which is affixed to bulkhead.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?p_make=SAA...1

www.saabphotos.com/gallery/My-NG900-Bulkhead-Repai...1