Replacement Windscreen? - Wee Willie Winkie
I think I need a new screen. Starring stone chip more than a 5 pence piece, which I am sure will only get worse.

Question is, do I call Autoglass or RAC windscreens? I would prefer OEM glass, rather than an aftermarket replacement (bad experience with another car)....

Any observations out there?

Cheers,
DB
Replacement Windscreen? - mal
I was going to have an RAC own brand fitted until I was informed by a member on this forum that I could have insisted on an OEM screen. The own brand screen had already been ordered by them and there was no problem at all when I rang them back the next day and asked if I could have an OEM screen fitted.
Replacement Windscreen? - L'escargot
Definitely ask for either a genuine replacement, or at least one made to the same specification by the same manufacturer. In the latter case the only difference should be that it won't have any of the car manufacturer's markings.
--
L\'escargot.
Replacement Windscreen? - jlo
I have just had my windscreen replaced by RAC Autowindscreens and have to give them a big thumbs up.

Fitted in 45 mins at my home. Also used the same make of glass 'Saint Cobains' as previously fitted from the factory(Although does not have the VW mark on the windscreen) so happy with the work.

Just paid my £60 excess and job done.

Cheers

Jlo
Replacement Windscreen? - Ben 10
Used Autoglass last year through my insurer. Never again. Car is silver so didn't immediately see a full length scratch along the top of roof adjacent to windscreen. Presumably made by the tool for cutting the sealant. Rubber mouldings at base not tidied up. Interior mirror moulding broken, but put back by fitter. Only noticed when I came to clean screen some weeks later. Whoever you go with, go over with a fine tooth comb, cause when they go, you'll probably have no come back.
Replacement Windscreen? - L'escargot
Whoever you go with go over with a fine tooth comb
cause when they go you'll probably have no come back.

I had an electrically heated windscreen replaced by a local company and when I told them that several of the wires in the replacement screen didn't work they changed it without question. However, they didn't use OEM screens and the heated area is less than on the original screen. This has made me resolve that in future I will only use a company that fits OEM screens or screens from the same manufacturer made to the same specification.
Replacement Windscreen? - henry k
>>However, they didn't use OEM screens and the heated area is less than on the original screen.
>>
You have raised a very good point. It is very difficult to identify this difference until after the screen is fiited ( and used).

A few years ago I had the rear screen replaced on my Cortina. The contour was quite different because my DIY fitted third brake light no longer sealed against the glass.

My heated front screen was fitted by Autoglass and the fitter did a superb job.
Replacement Windscreen? - james86
I used Auto glass a year or so ago and had a bad experience. The fitter made lots of marks on the interior trim / roof carpet around the top of the windscreen which I immediately noticed, but appeared to clean off easily so did not make a complaint.

Next morning I noticed that the drivers side door pocket (storage compartment) had a big crack down it that definitely wasn't there before. They denied all knowledge though and in fact the crack is still there to this day.
Replacement Windscreen? - Dulwich Estate
I can only add to this gloomy workmanship thread. I had a new windscreen about a year ago - not OE, but good enough. I soon after got a 5p sized chip bang in the middle of the screen, just below the mirror position. I got it repaired for free (yeah - just wait until insurance renewal time!) and it's only very slightly better than I could have done myself with a squidge of epoxy glue. The hole is filled and virtually flat, but I can still see it.

Next time I'll fix it myself or get a new screen.
Replacement Windscreen? - Optimist
Two things worry me about the poor reports in this thread:

1) If the new screen isn't properly sealed in the car will get very wet inside.

2) I thought I read somewhere that the screen is actually an important part of the car's structure and strength. Therefore very important that properly fitted.
Replacement Windscreen? - henry k
>>I soon after got a 5p sized chip bang in the middle of the screen, just below the mirror position.
I got it repaired for free (yeah - just wait until insurance renewal time!

Strange you say that!
My renewal from Direct Line arrived today aaaaand there is now a added clause - £10 excess for windscreen repairs.
Are other insurers doing the same?
Replacement Windscreen? - martint123
Are other insurers doing the same?

Yes, I've spotted a few when comparing prices and policies.

Seems it is the huge number of claims they are now getting due to the "free windscreen repairs" set up by franchisees in supermarket car parks.
Replacement Windscreen? - PoloGirl
I've got a £50 excess on my windscreen, on the company insurance, and we have to use Autoglass.

I've noticed that my screen steams up more easily on the inside since I had it replaced, but on the plus side, I no longer have the circular marks on it from the factory that no amount of cleaning would take off.
Replacement Windscreen? - gordonbennet
Do you have a local indy that you use for maintenance?

My merc indy recommended a small local company in Northants, and the standard of work and screen quality is brill, maybe ask for a recommendation.

By the way screen excess with NFU is £25, and you have choice of who to use.

Replacement Windscreen? - zookeeper
i worked for autoglass (solarglass) in the late 80s , you cant imagine how many screens were broken during the picking process from steel bins , and then not properly loaded on the vehicles for distribution ... we had to load them in order of curveture , from mini's to volvo f10s with lots of cardboard for packing in between screens ... i have to say i didnt stay long at the job