Car hire in Majorca - Walton2
Hi
We are going to Puerto Pollensa (North of the island) in July. Probably want to hire a car either to collect at the airport for the 2 weeks or in the resort for 5 days, haven't decided which yet. Has anybody any recommendations or 'stay clears'. Only need something like a Corsa/Polo although air-con would probably be nice. Thanks
Car hire in Majorca - Armitage Shanks {p}
I hire cars quite often and start with www travelsupermarket.co.uk or it might be.com. Then there is www.holidayextras.co.uk or .com and of course holiday autos. Just put in your dates and type of car and up will come the answer! A 2 weeks hire with pick uo and drop off at the airport might be cheaper than 5 day hire in the resort and 2 taxi transfers - depends on the distance involved, of course
Car hire in Majorca - bathtub tom
Plenty of car hire places in all the resorts, much cheaper than the airport in my experience. I tend to do this, but came unstuck once in Cala Millor with an old Golf that kept blowing wiper fuses (it rained most of that week), and only ran on three cylinders. They then tried to give me a Uno which was visually much worse. Talked LOUDLY and S L O W L Y in English, they eventually gave me a refund for the unused days.
I got a diesel Yaris in Cala D'or last year at bargain price. It had a parking ticket on it when I picked it up, the hire shop binned it. I hope I don't get arrested on the next visit.
Car hire in Majorca - rtj70
Back in 2003 we were on Majorca. We wanted to visit the capital for a shopping trip from near Sa Coma. With four of us, it was quite a bit cheaper to hire a car for the day than to use the bus! We used the hotel's recommended company (and I knew I'd get a Corsa/Fiesta) and also had Super Collision Damage waiver included. Ended up with a newish Fiesta 1.4 TDCi 5 door.

So could be easier/cheaper to sort out 5 days hire at the resort instead of the airport?
Car hire in Majorca - daveyjp
My parents booked through holiday autos via the Jet2 website - 2 Ford Focus for a week picked up and return to airport. We went out later and picked up a car in resort - ?50 Euros for a smart roadster for the day - a real hoot on Majorcan mountain passes. If you don't need a car for the whole duration I'd wait until resort - the smart was expensive compared other motors which were from ?20 a day.

We did this in Tenerife and played a few hire companies off against each other for a good deal - saved 30% off day rate without trying.
Car hire in Majorca - Group B
We stayed in Puerto Pollensa in 2004, a great little place.
I hired a car, I think it was from Europcar, who have an office in the centre of town, with English speaking staff and had no problems. Paid for the cheapest car-with-aircon option but luckily they didn't have one in stock so got a Megane at no extra cost. Can?t remember the price, it must have been fairly competitive, but we only hired for 24 hours.

Definitely worth a drive is the cliff road to Sa Colobra on the north west coast. Have you been there before?
An amazing road that zig-zags down the hill with dozens of hairpin bends, reminiscent of the Stelvio Pass; leads to a secluded bay at the bottom that is like the land that time forgot (apart from the fellow tourists)..
I think its great fun; some drivers say they hate it! Watch out for coaches, they only just make it round the hairpins, and cars are expected to stop for them.

On the way up there you can see Pollensa town with the 365 steps up to the church, a monastery, then after Colobra, carry on to Soller which is quite quaint.

Rich.
Car hire in Majorca - borasport20
We hired a car (a Twingo, iirc) from somewhere on the main road leading into Puerto Polensa and had no problems - apart from that, I would echo everything Rich said, with the rider that if you want to go to Palma, take a bus !

If you drive over to Cala San Vincente, have a look at www.lamoraleja.net/web/ing_home.htm

That's the owners private vintage car collection on the ground floor

n.b. - I'm jealous - a really nice place, I've never felt more comfortable on holiday

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Car hire in Majorca - Walton2
Thanks to all respondants. I think we'll probably wait until we're there. At least then we can see if there's something on somewhere that we want to see and can hire around the required day. Love Manorca so looking forward to first visit to Majorca