Fun practical used car for £6-8k - halsteadk
Hi,

I have about 6-8k to spend on a used car, maybe up to 3 years old and 50k miles. I currently have a Peugeot 306 which is now very old and needs a financially-nonviable repair, but is still excellent on twisty roads with good handling and steering feedback. I need something fairly practical (say Focus sized or bigger) although rear seat comfort is not very important (so a coupe with fold-down seats is fine, just so I can take four people or a longish load occasionally).

A Focus seems an obvious choice but a little bit "common", I'd have to choose between a 1.8 petrol, TDCi 115bhp or perhaps an ST170! I really like the look of the Hyundai Coupe but am not convinced they're very good to drive. I'm not keen on the new MINI and don't see myself as a BMW driver, but would still like plenty of toys for the money (choice between a high-spec Mondeo and a poverty-spec BMW or Audi and I'd go for the Mondeo straight away; likewise I'd tend to go for a Seat Leon rather than VW Golf). I could consider an Alfa but concerned about reliability. I would definitely consider a diesel as I prefer the low/mid range torque to high revs driving style (which puts me off the 1.8 Focus).

Insurance not too much of an issue - I can get a quote for £500 for a brand new Focus ST but I know some cars have an unusually high insurance group. Running costs need to be reasonable, as does reliability. Most likely to buy from a car supermarket like Car Giant but wouldn't buy privately or blindly over the internet.

So I was wondering if anyone can give me any further suggestions or ideas!

Many thanks,
Keith
Fun practical used car for £6-8k - OldHand
In my opinion you won't be able to do much better than a Skoda Octavia VRS or Fabia VRS at the top of your budget range. Great fun to drive although the diesel skabia is a bit nose heavy and runs out of ideas (and revs) pretty quickly IMO. The Fabia will also hold much of it's value.

If you're a badge snob then maybe Seat who you've mentioned could be an option with their Leon VT/Cupra?
Fun practical used car for £6-8k - Jase
I was going to recommend a Leon. £8k might even get into a Cupra R and definitely a facelifted Cupra. Cupra Diesel (150BHP variant of FabiaVRS engine) worth considering if they are in budget and again, the normal 130TdiSE definitely will be. Depends on your annual mileage which engine type makes sense. All have about the same and very good spec.

Good luck!

Fun practical used car for £6-8k - halsteadk
"badge snob" - :-) not so much that I'd have a Mondeo over a BMW 3-series, but I think I would choose Seat over Skoda. There's just something about the front of the Skodas that puts me off - but the Fabia vRS does look good in the right colour and I can't ignore Skoda's excellent reputation. I do like the Leon and a 150bhp diesel version with some toys would definitely be something I would seriously consider. Thanks for suggestions so far, keep them coming!
Fun practical used car for £6-8k - smallfish
Having had a 1.8T petrol Leon Cupra for the past year I'd highly recommend it as an all rounder. Great value and it's a hoot to drive. That said, whilst it's plenty quick enough for me, it's heavyish and not the sharpest car I've driven on twisty roads.

The earlier models had a better spec - leather etc - but the later facelift one still has Climate control, 6CD changer and looks much better IMO. The Cupra R is much more in your face looks wise and has better brakes and steering than standard cupra.

I often think about what I'd replace it with and I honestly can't think of anything else!