mk 3 fiesta timing chain - milkyjoe
would like to know the easiest way to change the timing chain on a fiesta , this question is aimed at the more experienced cliantel who peruse this site , short cuts and stuff , its done 130k and rattles like a skeleton in a biscuit tin falling down a flight of stairs
mk 3 fiesta timing chain - bell boy
there arent any short cuts
use all the bits ie dont use the old tensioner coz its easier
it will probably be noisy again in 1000 miles
final comment deleted - DD
mk 3 fiesta timing chain - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Its going to be a bit messy so try and arrange to start the job one evening and finish it the following day. Drain the sump of oil and while its draining remove the exhaust downpipe. Remove the sump and let the block drain overnight.
Next morning remove the alternator belt and slacken the crankshaft holding bolt by locking the flywheel with a screwdriver in the ring gear.
Remove the crank pulley
remove the chain cover and remove the old gasket from the block (you'll have to cut it with a sharp knife at the water pump)
replace the crank pulley bolt with a few big washers so you can rotate the engine to lign up the dots on the cam and crank sprockets
remove the cam and crank sprockets and chain and discard
remove the snail cam chain tensioner and discard
assemble the new chain and sprockets so the dots are aligned
fit them to the cam and crank checking the alignment
fit the new tensioner
fit a new oil seal and refit the cover with a new gasket (part of the water pump gasket, cut to suit unless you are renewing the pump as well) use sealant at the water pump joint.
clean up the sump (wire brush and a gas blowlamp works well)
refit the crank pulley
clean up the block with a scraper
I use a contact adhesive to stick the gasket to the bottom of the block
apply a smear of sealant to the sump face and refit
tighten the bolts carefully and evenly going round and round at the correct torque figure (about 7- 10lb ft) just keep going round and round until the bolts stop giving a little before the wrench clicks
refit the exhaust
refill with 10w/30 oil and a new filter
Adjust the valve clearances, (tip) trim the end of the feeler gauge to about 3 mm wide, this lets you set the gap where the wear is greatest.
Hopefully it will be a bit quieter now but allow for the wear in the rocker shaft and cam followers and cam bearings to spoil the effect a bit.
This is in no way a definitive description of the job but should get you through it. I can generally do this job in a couple of hours as a guide.

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
mk 3 fiesta timing chain - milkyjoe
thanks andrew for taking the time to reply to my question, it looks a lot less daunting than i thought it was going to be, ive got a week off work so i should get it done by then, im not a mechanic as you can prob appreciate but if i dont have a go il never learn, either that or a blown engine immenent!!! cheers ...paul