Parking fine on private land - Keith S
Moving house the other day and hired a van. Forgot to swap the permit for my space to the van and got a penalty charge of £75.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to avoid paying all or some of this, or should I just grin and bear it?

Thanks
Parking fine on private land - Armitage Shanks {p}
A good start would be to write to the people who own the land and have issued the penalty to you and explain the circumstances. It isn't a fine, these can only be issued by courts SFAIK - it is a penalty charge and may not be legally enforceable. Go and have a look at www.pepipoo.com where your question is the subject of endless discussion!
Parking fine on private land - Ruperts Trooper
It's a civil penalty charge, just like Asda supermarkets. As I'm not legally trained I've no idea whether it's recoverable as a civil debt.
Parking fine on private land - tr7v8
Tell them to go find the driver of the vehicle as they cannot prove who was driving. & then ignore it. Go to Speeding Plod & the Law on Pistonheads or Pepipoo as both have covered it.
Parking fine on private land - Micky
Private land? It's probably an invoice then, Pepipoo.

You are not the registered keeper, therefore you can ignore the invoice should you wish to do so. But check the terms of the hire agreement, you might find that the rental company will debit your credit card if they subsequently receive an invoice from the parking organisation, although any contract that may exist is between the driver and the parking organisation, not the rental company and the parking organisation.

You might decide to contact the parking organisation to discuss the issue, the downside is that you will then probably admit to parking without the permit during the conversation.

A devious person would do nothing at the moment and then if things get sticky he would tell the parking organisation that he had displayed a permit, assuming it's available for use for any vehicle. But that would be a fib, so don't do it.