03' Focus TDCI lacks power - GC1971
Hi all, I've just replaced my 90BHP 1.8 Tddi with an 03 115BHP 1.8 TDCI; but it feels the other way around! The old car had a good zip to it especially at 2K RPM; but the new car just feels asthmatic. It is 102K and has FSH. (Belts just done); -and is an estate. (The old one was a hatchback).
Does anyone know a cause for lack of power? -Or are the estates that much heavier?
Cheers
03' Focus TDCI lacks power - DP
I went from a TDDi estate to a TDDi hatch and the performance was near identical, so I would expect your new TDCi to feel significantly quicker. Both great cars by the way!

Was it like this when you test drove it, or before the belt was done?

Cheers
DP
03' Focus TDCI lacks power - bathtub tom
Just because it's got more horsepower doesn't necessarily mean it will feel (or be) quicker. Perceived power is often torque, and the rev range it's available at. How do the torque and power curves compare for these engines? In my experience, an increase in power from an engine usually means a reduction in the torque.
I had a TDDI, and loved the torque. I swapped it for a petrol with more power, but it doesn't feel anywhere near as quick.
03' Focus TDCI lacks power - MikeTorque
102K miles could have something to do with it. An engine loses power and torque with that kind of mileage.
An the estate is slightly heavily than the hatch and if it's been a work horse most of its life then it will have taken its tole on performance.
You could try using a good all round diesel fuel engine cleaner to see if that cleans out the muck in the engine and helps performance.
03' Focus TDCI lacks power - GC1971
Hmm, I've never used these; -do they work?
To be honest I'm new to the whole Diesel game; I only had the hatch for 6mth before we had a baby; I was going to check the plugs but i guess that's a bit pointless. (or am I wrong?)
I was wondering whether there is some sort of advance pipe that is known to get blocked; that sort of thing.
03' Focus TDCI lacks power - Aprilia
These engines are not DIY friendly. I wouldn't play with it. Get the ECU codes read. Possibly the injectors need recoding (common on Ford).