Corsa to sell - effort to put in - IanJohnson
My son has accepted a job and will have access to a cheap lease car so his (I paid for it) 52 reg 1.0 Corsa is to sell in a month or so.

It has around 17k miles on it and has been used to get him initially to sixth form after we moved and to work in summer holidays from University and very occasional use in between. Most of the runs have been 10-15 miles. It still has the original tyres (two only half worn - were switched front/back about 18 months ago) and the spare is unused. Everything works as it should.

It has been garaged since we got it (early 2004) and Vauxhall services up to end of warranty. I have serviced it since (Halfords semi synthetic yearly). It came with a Cassette player which he replaced with a Vauxhall CD player (we still have the cassette player)

It has a car park ding in one rear wing and an area of about 1sq inch on the bonnet where there is chip damage. Other than that paint is very good - Red car that has not faded - and he kept it clean and polished when he was at home. Wheel trims are scuffed.

Was surprised yesterday when I looked at 1.0 Corsa prices in Auto express and Fleabay so what is worth doing to this before we sell?

I had originally thought nothing expecting it to be 1-1.5k but at the prices that are being asked would it be worth:
1. getting ding fixed
2. getting bonnet damage sorted.
3. change radio back to standard and sell CD unit on E-bay
4. Re-paint the wheel trims (or replace if this does not work)
5. Establishing exactly what model it is - I think it is a Club (remote central locking, steel wheels, elec f windows, CD player, RWW, not much else).

And where is the best place to advertise (South Staffs).

Am sorely tempted to take the replacement car off the wife's insurance and keep it in the garage as a spare!
Corsa to sell - effort to put in - M.M
Ian,

This should sell well, it is the type of car folks are always asking for (2nd car/student etc).

For what it's worth I would...

1. See what the ding would cost. If it looks like "Dentmaster" ought to do it for £50 but you are quoted £200 leave it!
2. If a £3 touch in stick will make a job of this do it.
3. Don't bother about changing the CD out to sell... hardly a luxury item now and a very good selling feature.
4. Yes do the wheel trims with paint. I assume they are the originals so do not spray over the Vauxhall logos and do not replace with a £10 set from a boot sale.
5. Club sounds like a cheap model so better to list all the features inc CD player!

I have sold two cars in the past 6mths and achieved higher prices on EBay than I could ever have hoped for. With the history, low mileage and spec you should be giving this a glowing description. Also nice crisp well lit images against a good background are essential to top money. And if you EBay it just mention the "ding" and include a photo that shows it... and say if it concerns anyone they can get it done by "Dentmaster" for £50.

DW
Corsa to sell - effort to put in - IanJohnson
Would only replace wheel trims with originals, will also have to check the MOT expiry.
Corsa to sell - effort to put in - DavidHM
Wheel trims tend to be cheaper on eBay:

These are good rip-offs for £25 tinyurl.com/2cnmvz

Or for £40 you can get the real thing: tinyurl.com/3dafcn

I never believe in reminding a buyer how cheap a car is to fix. Whenever I see that in an eBay ad, I assume the seller is lying. If it's so cheap and easy, he'll do it himself.

I'd be inclined to leave the CD player in the car; your target market for a Group 1 1.0 Corsa is under 20 and will not want the original cassette player under any circumstances. The old cassette might still make £15 or £20 on eBay though.

Other than that, a thorough valet will lead lots of buyers to overlook minor scratches. It's up to you whether you do it professionally but a good clean, vacuum and polish will pay dividends, especially if you sell via the local paper.