car messers only "top secret" - bell boy
spent the best part of the day finding out why the fuse blows on a fiat siecento today
ran the engine up to make sure the electric fan works -it didnt
ripped the front off the dash (dont do it unless you know how they come apart) i know now though :-(
fuse box out
all cables connectors systematically undone
found the heater motor
all undone
no joy
taking plugs off back slam in case a short here
plus lots of head scratching and fuse blowing going on

when

ding ding

i checked the ciggy lighter

wo and behold some nice little child had hid a 5 pence piece in there

this has happened 3 times in ten years ,so some things you never learn on

just think if you had to pay to have this fault found
car messers only "top secret" - injection doc
Well I would of thought of all people you would of looked there first! its so common now with 5p's 20's & as most are now upright its a regular occurence even down to the ends of all these phone charger bits dropping in etc. as the saying goes start with the simplist 1st! but yeh I can sympathise.
Regards the Doc
car messers only "top secret" - Number_Cruncher
spent the best part of the day finding out why the fuse blows on a fiat siecento today

It's a good feeling when you do finally find the fault though!

The problem is, how much can you charge the customer for picking 5p out of the cigarette lighter?

Number_Cruncher
car messers only "top secret" - Xileno {P}
Some creative thinking needed.
car messers only "top secret" - Pugugly {P}
"The problem is, how much can you charge the customer for picking 5p out of the cigarette lighter"

Not 5p and that's a fact !
car messers only "top secret" - Dalglish
it has been nagging me who bell boy reminds me of.

finally worked it out - he is "oldman". am i right ? bellboy oldman?
car messers only "top secret" - Lud
I must say I have been wondering where oldman was. You're right Dalglish, there is a similarity of style.
car messers only "top secret" - jase1
Hmmm, I know a couple of car dealers locally that would "benefit" from me going around putting 20p's in the cig lighter sockets of all the cars.
car messers only "top secret" - bell boy
yes tis eye
car messers only "top secret" - Lud
Tee hee om. Now we will have to think of you as bb or ball bearing.
car messers only "top secret" - mss1tw
Been thinking this for a while but didn't mention it!
car messers only "top secret" - Cliff Pope
If you are ever locked inside a room or safe or cold store, and fail to attract attention, put a coin inside a light fitting, refit the bulb, and switch on.
I learnt that in some film.
car messers only "top secret" - Nsar
Please enlighten me!
car messers only "top secret" - Cliff Pope
Please enlighten me!

You are locked in, and shout to attract attention, but no one can hear you through the insulated 3 foot thick walls. Putting a coin (it was an old sixpence in the film, I think) in the light socket and putting the bulb back in on top shorts the terminals. Turning the light on blows the fuses. Caretaker goes to switchboard, and sees fuse to circuit x room y has blown.
Replaces fuse, waits a few seconds, then you switch the switch again. Caretaker puzzled - why doesn't it blow immediately if there is a fault? Tries again - same result.
Sets off to investigate. Releases you.
car messers only "top secret" - Baskerville
But what if it's not a caretaker? What if it's a Dalek? Now it's coming to get you. Doesn't sound so clever now, does it, eh?
"But what if it's not a caretaker? What if it's a Dalek? Now it's coming to get you. Doesn't sound so clever now, does it, eh?"

Brilliant Baskerville - just brilliant.
car messers only "top secret" - Clk Sec
Nsar

I bet that response was a shock to the system!

Clk Sec
car messers only "top secret" - Nsar
I'd sort of guessed that might the answer but wasn't sure if the metallic contact or the fact that it was a coin was the most important bit....meanwhile back on motoring
car messers only "top secret" - MikeTorque
Talk about a good laugh, nice one bb. Did you check the coin(s) for said culprits finger prints or did they come clean or were they framed ?
Looking forward to your next posts on how to rebuild your motor and make it child proof.
Have you thought of contacting Brainiac (Sky program), they (me to) love stuff like this.

What movie was the one with the light and sixpence in ? (another one for Brainiac - maybe)
car messers only "top secret" - Aprilia
Years ago, if you fancied a car at auction and you were crafty enough, swap two of the plug leads over. The car would still run, but badly. That tended to put the other bidders off.
car messers only "top secret" - Carl2
I once had a mini engine (old type) and gearbox split on the bench because 2nd and 4th gear could not be engaged only to discover that a small stone had got on top of the plate that held gear stick in place under the car. Had I known this I could have removed it in about 4 or 5 mins from under the car! In my defence I was 17 and very keen at the time.
car messers only "top secret" - none
Another auction trick was to remove a four speed marked knob, and replace it with a five speed one.
car messers only "top secret" - MikeTorque
I liked the one about a guy who striped down the engine to fix the pistons and rings, put it all back together again, started the engine, put it gear and wondered why it didn't go anywhere, he was baffled so decided to call out the rescue service. Upon arrival a nice chap asked a few questions that had nothing to do with the car. The car owner seem baffled at the questions so asked "why are you asking me all these questions ?", the rescue man replied "I was checking if you were one brick short of a full load as you have a couple holding your car up"!
I think the Sixpence trick with the light bulb was in "Callan"