Clay bar anyone used these? - tokyo20
Thinking of using them to remove tar marks and other gritty surface contaminants. Its a fairly new car. Is it tricky to use??
Clay bar anyone used these? - Roly93
Havent used a clay bar, but you only need a dab of petrol on a rag to remove tar marks. I understand the clay bar is meant for removing tiny surface scratches on paintwork (the kind left by the car wash) to return the paintwork to a glass-like finish.
Clay bar anyone used these? - Mad Maxy
Roly, no. OP is right. Clay bar removes persistant surface contaminants - tar spots, dead insect marks, bird poo marks.

Clay bar is dead easy to use. It's a pad of resin with a very fine abrasive; looks feels like plasticine. Get the Meguiar's kit in Halfords - tenner or so. Comes with instructions.

Basically the clay needs some lubricant to work properly, which is why a spray comes as part of the kit, although a concentrated solution of car shampoo will do. Spray area to be cleaned, rub area with clay - say 10 to 20 passes. Marks vanish, pain surface feels as smooth as glass. The clay could well remove any wax protection, so apply some wax where you've clayed.

Ideally, clay the whole car, polish, apply a glaze, apply several coats of wax or some other sealant. Admire whenever you can.

IMO petrol or any spirit on paintwork is a no-no. For minor scratches, Scratch-X or, better still, a very mildly abrasive polish applied via a machine - maybe best left to professionals.
Clay bar anyone used these? - nick
I was thinking of using white spirit to remove cavity wax from the body on my Subaru. It's pretty thick where it has dribbled out of drain holes etc when wax was applied as part of the anti-corrosion service for the body guarantee. I've done it in the past but only on older cars, never one with modern paint. As long as it is waxed afterward, will any damage be caused? Any professional valeters on here? What would they use?
Clay bar anyone used these? - tokyo20
Will do just that! wish me luck!!!!!!!
Clay bar anyone used these? - oldtoffee
Clay bar will work but to save time (and wear and tear on the bar) you could use Autoglym tar remover which is safe and works very effectively and quickly. Then claying will remove other surface contaminants ready for a polish if it needs it and a wax which it will.
Clay bar anyone used these? - steveb
Claying, followed by polish and waxing will make the car easier to clean and wax in the future, as the wax spreads more easily and you can use less.

Will also bead water easily.

Steve
Clay bar anyone used these? - hbosken
Have a look at what this guy (bit of a nutter if you ask me) did with clay...............

www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=3478...1
Clay bar anyone used these? - Mad Maxy
I've seen that post on the Corsasport board. Well OTT/obsessional, but I admire the quest for perfection and the attention to detail - and the results as well.

In fact, reading it and seeing the results tempted me to get the same guy round to give my MINI Cooper S some treatment - but nothing like as much treatment, of course. However, I've decided to have a go myself, though I'll be omitting the machine polishing (paint as well as the headlights) - at least for the time being. So it'll be the usual clay - Scratch-X - paint cleanse, then a glaze, then a sealant and then a good wax (multi coats preferably).

I'm looking forward to choosing some new products: Menzerna, Poorboys, Zaino's? Maybe invest in some Zymol Concours at £164 a pop. I think I'm slightly mad...
Clay bar anyone used these? - Roly93
Roly no. OP is right. Clay bar removes persistant surface contaminants - tar spots dead
insect marks bird poo marks.

I stand corrected !