abs light on, meriva 06 - penguin
Hi all, I got my 06 meriva 1.7cdti 11 days ago, it went back in yesterday as the abs light kept coming on, they replaced the sensor but today the lights come back on. They have told me its safe to drive. The brakes seem fine but I concerned about the light being on. I will be ringing them agfain in the morning, any ideas?
Thanks
Julie
abs light on, meriva 06 - Dynamic Dave
They have told me its safe to drive.

Did they also tell you that the ABS system will be inoperative?

That aside, only real way to tell what the problem is, is to have the fault codes read out.
They tested the car on some machine and got a code so they changed the sensor (as they said thats what it was) I don't really understand abs its the first car I've had with it. They said I still have brakes but not the abs?????
Thanks
abs light on, meriva 06 - jc2
ABS only operates in extreme emergency situations and may not be needed even then;most drivers will never experience ABS in operation-the brakes should still operate normally without it working-in fact,they must-it's a legal requirement.When you put on the brakes in an emergency,you may lock the wheels(ie.stop them rotating).ABS stops this-you can't lock the wheels.
abs light on, meriva 06 - Red Baron
Thought...if you did have an accident and the insurance company found out that the ABS was not working then they could quite reasonably refuse to pay out. Functional ABS may have lessened or even prevented the accident.

Its not he sensor, then.

Have all of the interconnects been checked. When I bought my Alfa, after a few days the ABS light came on. I traced the routing of the wires and found that one of the connectors was not fully mated. Connector was under the rear seat cushion.
abs light on, meriva 06 - Ruperts Trooper
It's a recent car with a fault being investigated under original manufacturer's warranty. In the absence of advice from the dealer, or the insurer, not to drive the car why should the insurance be invalidated? If the insurance were invalidated the dealer would have to expedite the work as "vehicle off road" and provide a courtesy car.
Thanks all. The car has been picked up this morning and the garage are now looking at it, hopefully it will be sorted this time.
abs light on, meriva 06 - wbd
ABS light on will fail MOT.
You had best check with your insurance company about driving with ABS light on ...If they say OK make sure they enter it on they records and take the name of the person.Just to be on the safe side.
Hopefully they will fix it.
Brian
abs light on, meriva 06 - bell boy
im a bit surprised that the garage told you to carry on driving it penguin
i would have said holy batman and got catwoman to have a word in their shell like.
dont accept it back unless its fixed proper
abs light on, meriva 06 - Ruperts Trooper
I don't think it's normal for Vauxhall dealers to treat an ABS sensor fault as "vehicle off-road" - they certainly didn't when one of my front sensors went faulty. I was aware that ABS wasn't available but the car was otherwise driveable.