Decisions, decisions .......... - Chad.R
Has anyone experienced the BMW 540 (E34 model, 1993-1996) with the 4.0ltr V8 and 6 spd manual gearbox ? The engine is said to be superb (as long as you don?t have bore wear problems) and prices are well below 10K now for fBMWsh, but long legged examples. I've read loads of reviews on the auto version, they are more common as you?d expect but I have an aversion to auto boxes, but haven't got any info on the 6 spd.

I?m comparing the 540 with an early 90?s E34 M5 (3.6ltr/315bhp or 3.8ltr/340bhp straight 6 with 5spd manual) again with fBMWsh and around 100K on the clock also available for well under 10K now (Though, around this mileage the M5 may need expensive engine repairs and will also benefit from new suspension).

The M5 would beat most so called sports cars hands down for pure enjoyment and driver satisfaction ? it?s a proper sports car just with a saloon body, the 540 on the other hand will be more ?relaxed? (if you can call 286bhp and almost 300 lbft of torque relaxed !) and more flexible as it can be had in estate form. Fuel consumption is fairly similar, but M5 servicing and insurance would be higher.

I don?t know how but I?ve managed to talk SWMBO into getting these 2 into the short list along with the Land Cruiser 4.2 TD VX, and before you invoke section 28 and send the men in white coats round, I am aware that both the BMWs could prove to be financially crippling???well you only live once and all that.

Just off to re-mortgage the house, sell the wife & kids into slavery and trade a few body parts??

Chad.R
Re: Decisions, decisions .......... - J Bonington Jagworth
Why does a 4 litre V8 need a 6-speed box? I'm with you WRT autos, but with an abundance of torque (I assume) why all the ratios?
Re: Decisions, decisions .......... - Trevor Potter
Quite so.
I drove a friend's car (20 years ago!) after complaining about him being dead lazy.
He started in 2nd then put it in 4th (it only had 4).
When I tried it, after ten minutes I was doing the same.

The car? A V-12 E-type.
Re: Decisions, decisions .......... - Chad.R
JBJ,

I think the main reason for coupling the 6 spd to the 4.0 V8 was marketing. (I think the 6spd was engineered primarily for the 94/5 model M5). There was talk about cruising economy in 6th, but I cant see anyone buying a £40K+ car worrying too much about fuel costs. The manual box was offered as a "no-cost" option as all 540s were autos.

You're right about it not needing the ratios though - 3 gears would be fine;
1. Slow, 2. Naughty and 3. Really naughty

Chad.R
Re: Decisions, decisions .......... - Andy P
Shouldn't that be:

First gear - slow
Second gear - 3 points and £60
Third gear - 12 month ban.

Andy
Re: Decisions, decisions .......... - Dog Breath
Not quite the same...but I have a '96 735 with a V8 - the engine is fantastic.
Re: Decisions, decisions .......... - Chad.R
DG,

Have you had the car from new? If not what checks did you do to cover yourself from the dreaded "nikasil" problems.

If the 540/M5 idea fell through I was going to consider an early 740, a great car, it's just the auto box that put me off

Chad.R