535 Headgasket & Block tester - norwittyoramusingname
I have a '89 bmw 535. I noticed some condensation on the oil cap the other day, therefore I changed the oil and took the car for a run. At the end of 50 miles I open up the cap and the white milky substance is back again. On the test drive the temperature guage drops to zero then back up to the middle after 30 seconds. Thinking head gasket I order a block tester.

Just tried the block tester. Nothing. Liquid stays blue. I keep trying for about 15 minutes and eventually it turns green. (Which is something you only see on diesels according to the manual). Given that it was neither yellow or blue I decide to give it another go. I stick it in, it stays blue, then all of a sudden (after 2 minutes), the car shoots all it's coolant out over the driveway. Assuming it must be a head gasket fault I refill the system and turn the starter and expect it to do the same. Nothing. Engine fires up and it's as if nothing happens.

What do I do next. Any suggestions? Did the car object to being block tested. Do I have a warped head?

Thanks

Steve