Seicento - mistake? - stunorthants26
Im thinking of buying an 03 Seicento. Ive read HJs bit about it and have avoided the 900cc version and power steering.
Its done 39k and is pretty well immaculate, sold at a main dealer with a good prep package.

Anyway, has anyone here owned one and able to give any impressions of what problems may crop up? I imagine the later ones were the best sorted, but Im struggling with the idea that a Fiat will be reliable - its been fully serviced all its life and is certainly well cared for so Im hoping it would be and Im just judging Fiat on their earlier rubbish.

One thing I noticed - the gas pedal was sitting very high - is this normal or is it adjustable as it was arkward coming back onto the gas after braking?
I did think I could put some thick mats in the footwell to bring my feet higher up so no need to lift my foot up to drive, but wondering if this is just 'character'?

Anyone got any real world economy figures?

Thanks in advance

Stu
Before anyone corrects me, having read a little further, I have realised it must have had PAS - salesman didnt think it did so I took his word. Still, aslong as it works eh.
Seicento - mistake? - oilrag
Good move Stu, We had one and no problems. Best is the galvanising so no rust.
Cant remember about the pedals, but it was about the best city car we have had.

lots of info here on the Fiat forum

www.fiatforum.com/cinquecento-seicento/

Regards
Seicento - mistake? - Another John H
the later ones all had the 1108 "FIRE" engine which needs regular coolant changes (or the pink / OAT stuff) to help avoid head gasket problems. A proper service schedule at a good garage would have done those changes.

A good one is a delight, a bad one a horror - try and find out the history of the car.

Seicento - mistake? - bell boy
Dammed good cars.
Havent had a badun yet (touch wood).
check the power steering is working properly on a test run, specifically on full lock low speed situations.
brakes can be problemsome (typical fiat problem) you say fsh so this shouldnt be a problem.
check leccy windows .
Radiators are a bit heath robinson.

Basically if car right/ colour right/ get it bought,they can be good fun economical and very stable on the motorway .at 70 even
Be aware not an ideal car if you are a tailgater (i know your not).
As far as I could tell, the PAS felt fine. I took it up to 70 for a short period and I agree, it felt very stable, something that suprised me! What should I look for on full lock?
Brakes were fine and quite powerful and progressive. Eleccy windows definatly worked OK as I used them several times during test run and C/Locking also working OK. Didnt test airbags ;-)

If I aim to change the coolant every year with the good stuff, will this avoid any issues with it?
Is it a cambelt engine, if so whens it due?

The car is Capri Blue, which I must admit, I rather like. Its not one of those in your face small car colours but nor is it dull.

Im more likely to be tailgated than tailgate myself :-)

Thanks for info so far, its making me feel the inclination to drop a deposit tomorrow morning for the car.
the power steering stops working is the answer
if youve driven it and its ok then dont worry
its a belt but its non interferance so doesnt need doing yet
i wouldnt personally do the antifreeze every year,i mentioned the radiator because they are cheap and nasty and very low down .
capri blue? a solid colour then? kick them on it as its not the nicest colour going
make sure you get the 2 blue keys and the cd radio front (these often go missing )
Reason I asked bout PAS is because the assistance felt strange, but then its the first Seicento ive ever driven and I had just got out of my Suzuki which has PAS and is very light and smooth in a jap kinda way. I may just have not been used to it. I wasnt sure if it was unfamiliarity with the feel of the car but I thought I could feel it weighting up sometimes, but may have been my imagination!
The PAS is electronic, and I'm still getting used to the feel of it in a Punto 6 months on.
In the event of problems, I understand you are likely to get an apparently random PAS warning light which will clear on stopping and re-starting. Then it won't clear one day - probably a sensor problem.
The power assistance is in the column, not the rack, and FIAT part costs several hundreds and needs to be "calibrated" when fitted.

The "FIRE" 8 valve engine is safe - if the belt breaks you get towed home and fit another. Damage uncommon.
The scheduled belt change used to be 60K miles / 5 years, not sure what it currently is.
Seicento - mistake? - Quinny
They are better with 2 Suzuki Hyabusa engine in the back,one on each wheel,like they do in Autograss racing.
Certainly didnt have any problems with the PAS. Ive bought it now and very happy with the purchase.
Its my first italian car, which, given how many cars ive owned, its a big day for me as there are few first in my car buying, but Im hoping that my general view of Fiat is improved by owning one.
We shall see.

My girlfriend certainly likes it as she has a Ka and thought I should have something different.
Its certainly more economical on paper and looking cheaper to run.

I shall post again in a couple of weeks when Ive had it for a week and done a few miles, see how Im feeling about it then!

Have to say, I would recommend the dealer, Lutterworth Ford, who were very friendly and helpful, but this is perhaps because it is a small dealer unlike the huge Ford concern nearest to my home which is run like a car supermarket and is big on pressure selling. I hope their aftersales is as good as the sales!
you wont need the aftersales if youve bought wisely as you seem to have.
Thats what Im hoping, but if I assume I wont need it, fate will make the car fall apart about 5 seconds afterwards, so ill wait till I get a feel for the car. Short of dismantling the car, I have done all I can to make sure its a good one.
Incidentally, the dealer is doing the full 4th year Fiat service, using genuine parts - nice to hear - salesman said that for the little extra it costs them, the hassle it reduces is worth its weight in gold.
What a great attitude!
Seicento - mistake? - PR {P}
A certain Michael Schumacher would go for it...........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip2HkHREJ9U
A certain Michael Schumacher would go for it...........
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip2HkHREJ9U

Yes, for money.

There's a limited edition "Schumacher" version of the Seicento.
Seicento - mistake? - P3t3r
>> A certain Michael Schumacher would go for it...........
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip2HkHREJ9U
>>
Yes, for money.
There's a limited edition "Schumacher" version of the Seicento.

I searched the 'net and it looks like Schumacher's first car was a Cinquecento. I think I read somewhere that he had a couple of Cinquecento's for racing.
They stopped making the 899cc ones around the year 2000. They newest 899cc you'll get are something like W reg (maybe X or Y). I have an 899cc and I do enjoy it. Although some people recommend avoiding the 899cc they are very reliable and it's perfectly adequate for normal driving, not a problem on motorways either. The 1.1's do have head gasket problems.

The 899cc one will do approx 40-60mpg (stop-start town - motorway).
ive just bought an x reg 899
power steering as well
radio fronts gone though ..........as usual
What causes the HGF on the 1.1?

I avoided the 900cc ones on the back of HJ's remarks altho the extra power from the 1.1 is welcome anyway as I will be doing mainly M-way/A-road work with it with a weekly trip into town.

Erm, not certain really, but I think luck has something to do with it. Some can go for ages without a problem, others can fail soon after 30,000 miles. Regular servicing and sympathetic driving (don't put your foot down when cold) will probably help though.
I avoided the 900cc ones on the back of HJ's remarks
altho the extra power from the 1.1 is welcome anyway as
I will be doing mainly M-way/A-road work with it with a
weekly trip into town.

Yeah, the 1.1 would probably suit you better, but the 899cc isn't necessarily a bad buy. I'm perfectly happy to drive my car on motorways, I recently did over 400 miles in a day and didn't have any problems.
Im just hoping that the servicing that has been done so far, plus my gentle driving style will avoid any problems. I will heed the cold driving tips.
I just asked what the cause is because the well known probs with the K-Series are due to specific design faults but can be worked around and modified.
ive not done a h/g yet but i buy carefully
no chavved up cars
no high mileage liers
just proper cars like yours
i really think you wont have a problem if you keep the levels correct
i could service a sissy in a few hours so why shouldnt it be done properly
sit back and enjoy it
rovers went bust/fiat are still going/that engine is a stonker nearly as good as the old twinky they used to do
My Seicento was owned from new by a school teacher - not sure if thats good or bad!

Is there a specific fluid/concentration that is best as I will be using my local mechanic to do servicing ( he does exactly what is asked so I just give him a list or schedule ). Im planning on using genuine parts aswell, cant do any harm.

As I read it, Fiat is only just finding its feet again financially but then its selling some fine cars now, so its well deserved. I have to say, the Panda coming so high in the car surveys is mighty impressive when you look at other cars made in the Med and where they have been coming.
the punto was always a good car
so was the chinky and then the sissy
some were bad ie bravo
overall fiat cars have good responsive engines ,but,poor electrics and in the old days bad bodies
theres a lot of bad feedback because a lot of fiats have been company/hire cars that have been clocked by large amounts
buy a good proper fiat and its up there with any genuine proper bread and butter car
I must admit, the Grande Punto still months after I first saw one, looks fab. I have no idea how they drive or what the interior is like but such a good looking car.

Mid 90's Puntos that ive come across have all been horrible, esp with electrics and theres nout more annoying than electrics. So many with poorly earth rear lights, just reinforced why I didnt like them back then - a lottery car, sometimes it works, other times, not so.
It was cars from this era that painted such a bad picture for me. Not wrong about the Bravo/Brava, cheap for very good reason. Ulysse was no better. Barchetta was nice tho.

I think actually, its the latest Punto that has softened me to the Seicento and when they get to 4-5 years old, I may be seeking one out, just have to see how they do in JD Power and hope used values drop enough!
Seicento - mistake? - barchettaman
.....Barchetta was nice tho.....

Oh yes.
(regretful sob)
Seicento - mistake? - The Purifier
If the prices of the old Punto (a horrible car in my opinion) are anything to go by, then the prices for the new one will be as cheap as chips in no time so no need to wait 4-5 years for one, by which stage as it being a Fiat would surely have seen much better days! To be fair though they have apparently improved quality so only time will tell how it lasts.

What exactly made you go for a Seicento though out of interest?
>>What exactly made you go for a Seicento though out of interest?<<

It was the newest, lowest mileage car i could get for my budget, plus it was by far and away in the best condition and I liked the way it drove, plus the seats were comfortable.
A slight lie told as I found a very nice Daihatsu Cuore with less miles altho a year older, but it was an auto which meant a screaming 4700 rpm at 70 - no good if your planning much M-Way work like I am and detrimental to fuel economy.

I only wanted to buy a car from a main dealer so I was a little restricted with my budget of in and around 3k as not all dealers bother with cars at that end of the market.

I dont like independant dealers as unless you know them personally, they have nothing to loose by selling rubbish cars, whereas main dealers do tend to stock better cars on the whole. I worked for an independant, RAC approved dealer and he still sold complete rubbish sometimes.

Not only that, but ive not come across an independant who backs their own warranty rather than sending you round the houses with a warranty company - been there, done that and never again.

Im also secretly hoping that the seriously cheap running costs are true ( so far they are ).

I did look at a Ka but I think its a vile looking car and could only find poverty spec cars that were quite old. Also looked at a Suzuki Alto but didnt much fancy it as it was the old shape model.
Im happy with the Fiat - there are a lot of them around so there must be something in it.

Seicento - mistake? - boxsterboy
I must admit the Grande Punto still months after I first
saw one looks fab. I have no idea how they drive
or what the interior is like but such a good looking
car.

Yes, the Grande Punto is a fabulous shape, but it's getting a bit on the big side for my liking.

I was toying with the idea of one but the lack of the right diesel in the right trim specification plus a penny-pinched interior meant I didn't get as far as a test drive.

>>

As I understand it, head gasket failure on the 8 valve "FIRE" engine is mainly due to either of the following:

antifreeze left in for years, beyond the life of its corrsion inhibitor, due to cheap-skate servicing or lack of servicing.

antifreeze changed, but system not bled properly, giving air pockets in the head which cause localised overheating and warping.

I'm not sure when FIAT started using it, but my 55 plate Punto has pink antifreeze which I understand is good for many years.

Have a look at the colour of your Seicento's antifreeze.

Many thanks, I will bear it in mind and make sure my mechanic knows. Im sure he has serviced one before though.
I spoke to the dealer on wednesday as he rang me to tell me they couldnt get the car ready for thursday as arranged due to needing a part. It turns out that wndscreen washer motor had failed, thus is wouldnt pass MOT.
Anyway, is this a common problem or is this a one-off? Ive not heard or sen it mentioned anywhere. Hoping to collect car Monday :-)
I spoke to the dealer on wednesday as he rang me
to tell me they couldnt get the car ready for thursday
as arranged due to needing a part. It turns out that
wndscreen washer motor had failed thus is wouldnt pass MOT.
Anyway is this a common problem or is this a one-off?
Ive not heard or sen it mentioned anywhere. Hoping to collect
car Monday :-)

I've never known the washer motor's to fail. My washer motor hasn't given me any problems and it's over 7 years old, but I don't use it much. My rear jet is clogged, which I suppose could lead to a motor failure, but I'm not too worried.

I think coolant is supposed to be replaced every 2 years, and my coolant isn't pink.
ive never done a motor on one of these
it must be down to non useage
make sure wing and liner are neat when you collect as one of these needs to come off to get to the pump
the plastic goes a little brittle
Seicento - mistake? - rtj70
A few years back my wife's washer motor packed in on the Seicento and we know the cause - although it should not have failed in my opinion.

Basically she drove to work with wipers on (it was raining) and left the wipers in the on position. The windscreen froze and wipers stuck. Turn on car and it tries to move wiper and cannot and burns out the motor. A fuse surely should blow but no it does not and you need a new wiper motor (quite easy to fix?).

Trouble was when it happened, there was a shortage of wiper motors - no doubt lots had failed at the same time. Local independent type service/MOT/tyre garage had two Seicento's parked up waiting for parts.

Wife's car was still under warranty so she eventually persuaded the FIAT garage to take it in and get a courtesy car in the meantime. You could say leaving the wipers on and letting them freeze was not claimable on warranty but it was.

Couple of times the PAS light has come on (twice?) and no power steering. Turn off ignition and back on and working again. Touch wood not going to fail.
To be honest, if I had done that, Id have accepted blame myself although obviously it was an accident.
I usually put a sheet over the windscreen of my cars when its freezing and put the wipers back down to hold the sheet on ( aswell as trapping the two ends in the doors ). This seems to work and saves alotta scraping! Frost can ruin wiper blades very quickly thats for sure.

Im hoping my PAS doesnt fail, we shall have to see! I collect it at 4:30 this afternoon, cant wait!
Picked the car up, handover was swift and easy. Car was very well valeted, a credit to the valeter given that Im rather picky. Even had 1/4 tank of fuel in it!

First impressions of the car:

Ive sorted the high gas pedal by sticking a piece of wood ( 10 ins long 1x4 ) in between two mats which raises the 'floor' level by about an inch and a half.
This makes the driving position far more comfortable and has solved my only real doubt I had before I bought it.

Seats are soft and comfy and the ride is very reasonable for such a short car, only at higher speeds does it jiggle a little bit.
Steering takes some getting used to - its very direct but almost completely lacking feel, though Ive acclimatised to it now ive done a few miles.
Gearbox is very nice - light, precise and clutch is progressive.
Performance is OK, though slower than my van, its refined when cruising which is helped by the extremely tall gearing - 5th is useless below 40 and 4th is only good at 30 if its flat or downhill - the economy figures suggest the gearing has alot to do with its misery returns.
Electric window switch is actually out of sight from the driving position, obscured by the steering wheel so some initial fumbling for that.
Storage space is excellent and the boot swallowed a weeks shopping which wasnt expected. Missing a cup holder though.
Trim quality is a mixed bag - seat fabric is as new so its obviously hard wearing. The dash plastics are as cheap as chips but its a budget car so its only what one would expect really - still, the design is easy to use and looks good.
I wish it had a temp gauge though.

On the whole, its impressed me far more than I expected - maybe its the truth of cheap cars lead to lower expectations - having driven and owned several city cars ( Daihatsu Cuore, Daewoo Matiz and old shape Mini ) id say its the nicest one of the lot overall - I fancied a Lupo/Arosa but they are too dear for what they offer.

I will wait and see how the reliability stacks up - a friend of my mums said her mother has one and swears by the thing, so much so that she wont drive anything else now.
My mum has named it ( what can I say, shes my mum ) so its now known as 'Mario', goodness only knows where she got that from!
Seicento - mistake? - rtj70
"To be honest, if I had done that, Id have accepted blame myself although obviously it was an accident"

I'd partly agree but my wife used to work at Manachester airport and car parked in an exposed car park. So with some unexpected freezing weather and forgetting to turn off wipers....

And I've done the same in the Mondeo (auto wiper which I leave on) which did not blow a fuse or burn our a motor. So why would a wiper motor not behave the same on a Seicento? Well it's down to engineering/design and under load a fuse should blow. Hence replaceable on warranty because it should not happen.

An analogy:

Indesit washer dryer has a path through from drum to top of dryer heater for suds. Soapy wash (like when washing sports shoes on the sports shoe programme) results in suds getting out of drum and dripping on circuit board. End result = dead circuit board. Whilst under warranty they replace these blown boards without question FOC because they can hardly say "don't wash sports shoes"... normal out of warranty price including labour = £160 ...??!!? Machine when new £300.
Oh dear - it lasted half a day!

Filled it up with petrol today and oops. Fuel leak obvious - seemed to be leaking around the seam on the tank - is this normal?
Id read about rusty tanks but mine isnt rusty that I can see, but perhaps higher up? I think perhaps when it was MOT'd, because it was low on fuel, this wasnt apparent at the time.

So far, the dealer has acted promptly to my complaint and will be sending out a recovery truck to me ( a good 15-20 mile journey ) after lunch and didnt even suggest that I drive it, which many of the cheekier dealers sometimes do.

I hope they handle this issue as swiftly as the sale. I mentioned to the service manager that Fiat had troubles with fuel tanks on these and he said he would ring them and find out whats what. So far impressed with their response altho disappointed its happened, Im also aware of the fact that until the car was filled up with fuel, nobody would have spotted it.
ive never replaced a tank
but
the siecento i have also appears to have a nice shiny new one fitted
nice to hear of the prompt attention you got