Fabric roofs and chamois - Citroënian {P}
OK, I realise this is perhaps schoolboy stuff to a lot of you, but my school didn't teach me propperley

1. What's the best way to keep a chamois leather in good condition so that it lasts a long time and works properly? My old one hangs in the garage getting stiffer and stiffer, rotting away. Don't want that to happen to my new hyper expensive one from Halfords...

2. Should I be doing anything with the fabric roof on the MX5 to keep it in good order. Not even sure if I should be washing it when I do the rest of the car.

Any advice, as ever, much appreciated. (I realise not to use the chamois on the roof, btw!)

Happy Easter to all

Lee

-- He\'s a cheeky wind-up scamster and he\'s on the radio....
Fabric roofs and chamois - flynn
I wash the dirt and detergent out of my chammy with my wife's posh hand soap. Replaces the oils they have when new and keeps it as soft as wifey's hands.
Fabric roofs and chamois - the original horse
always keep your leather damp, store it in a plastic bag sealed, rinse in cold water before storing.
vinyl roof? just wash it and make a good job of rinsing, once again cold water.
the old kiwi boot/shoe polish brings up a tired roof, not sprays or liquid, you want to be putting it on with a brush and buffing with a brush, dont overload brush/roof, take your time , probably only need to do it once a year.
Fabric roofs and chamois - martint123
Yup, went over my roof with the kiwi polish a couple of weeks ago. Imprves apearance and waterproof qualities no end.
Fabric roofs and chamois - Vansboy
This is how we I take care of Mrs V's Montana...

When you wash the car do the roof at the same time, make sure lots of water rinses it, WITHOUT a jet, or any pressure, else you'll have arear of the fabric go bobbly (tchnical term) like old jumpers & woolens do. Don't leave ant detergent residue, or this will leave white patches.

Also wash off bird mess, fast, or more stains!!

Then dry off, with a synthetic wash leather or micro fibre cloth. You'll find the chamois leathers will go hard/smelly/split & difficult to keep fresh. They're really best for keeping the insides of the animal in & its fur out!!

VB
Fabric roofs and chamois - bathtub tom
I think we have conflicting advice here for different materials.

1. Vinyl roofs (rooves ?). I understand this to be vinyl material glued to metal roof. Shoe polish seems to work very well.

2. MX5s have two types of soft top material.
a. Cheap standard.
b. Mohair (additional cost option).
RTFB !
Fabric roofs and chamois - mjm
Citroenian,

Son's MX5 vinyl roof was kept in good order using Autoglym product for vinyl roofs occaisionally and Autoglym shampoo as normal.

It gave up the ghost and I fitted a Mazda Mohair roof to it last Easter. That was cleaned with Autoglym car shampoo until last winter when the hard top was fitted. Took hard top off about a month ago and hood looked like new. It has been washed a few times since with Autoglym, again and looks fine.

He has just bought some stuff from mx5parts, 3 plastic bottles of it, all for mohair hood treatment.

1 cleaner, 1 waterproofer, and 1 colour restorer/rejuvinator.(I probably need the last more than the hood). :)

Looking at the hood it needs hoovering more than washing to get the wind blown seeds off it!
Fabric roofs and chamois - Victorbox
Renovo products to keep your hood in good order - such as here www.vertar.com/renovo/?gclid=CNHlzoDhs4sCFQOIlAodL...A
Fabric roofs and chamois - Simon
Didn't they used to reckon that pouring a bottle of Pepsi over a vinyl roof made it look like new or is that another urban myth???
Fabric roofs and chamois - artful dodger {P}
Many years ago I was told that to keep a chamois soft, you should rinse it well to remove any dirt and soap residue and then finally rinse in water with some white vinegar. I have never tried this but it is worth trying on an old chamois to see if it works.

--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Fabric roofs and chamois - L'escargot
Courtesy of Kent Car Care ..............

Caring For Your Chamois Leather
Chamois Leather can be expensive and so you need to care for your Chamois in order to get the best out of it. Contrary to popular belief, storing a Chamois Leather wet in a jar or sealed bag will cause it to deteriorate quickly and leave it virtually useless. This is because Chamois Leather is tanned with fish oil giving it its unique 'smell' and also enhancing its absorption. Storing the Chamois wet causes the skin to naturally deteriorate. Likewise, if a detergent, (such as washing up liquid), is used to rinse the Chamois, it will remove the oil oxidized into the skin during the tanning process, leaving it (once dry), hard and brittle, and less likely to freely absorb both dirt and water.

The best way to look after your Chamois is, after washing your car, to rinse it well with warm water and lather it with a bar of soap (yes, just an ordinary bar of regular soap just as you would use to wash your hands). Rinse the soap and dirt from the Chamois under the warm water and lather the soap in again. Without rinsing in clean water, squeeze dry and leave the skin to dry naturally, away from direct heat. Leaving the soap in the skin helps keep it supple and soft. The next time you need to use your Chamois, rinse in warm water, squeeze dry, and it is ready for use.

--
L\'escargot.
P.S. Now I've found out, I'd better do as they say!
--
L\'escargot.
Fabric roofs and chamois - s61sw
I would say that the best way to look after a chamois is to leave it in the shop in it's wrapping, and buy some micro fibre cloths instead. They are much better at water absorption, kinder to your car's paintwork, and easier to 'maintain', - just stick in the washing machine on a 40 degree wash without fabric conditioner.

S6 1SW
......... buy some micro fibre cloths instead.

They're probably alright for anyone with silky smooth hands. I can't stand them because they stick to the roughness on my hands, especially when dry. Eugh!
--
L\'escargot.
........ - just stick in the washing machine on a 40
degree wash without fabric conditioner.

It would probably be cheaper to buy a new one each time!
--
L\'escargot.