Buying at BCA - khizman
I am considering buying a car at auction, I have found one I like the look of and am considering going along and bidding on it.
I am wondering what happens after you win the car, how do you pay for it?
I know there is a buyers fee for the car.

After you have won the car, do you have to take the car straight away? Can you pay by debit card?
If there is no tax/mot on the car, what do you do then, how can you get the car home?

Buying at BCA - massey
If its a cheapie they will take cash (under a certain amount due to money laundering regulations)

Check with the Auction house

Pay for it at the payments window usually very soon after the hammer falls. The cashier will issue you a release docket which you take to the key room for the keys

No tax and mot........is your problem and the car should be towed or trailered away if you want to be completely legal. Very few will be taxed.
Buying at BCA - massey
BCA offer a transport service:

www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/Default.aspx?page=3...7

Buying at BCA - khizman
I want to avoid paying for it :D

No Tax is a pain though, I may end up getting it delivered from someone, don't these transport people loiter in auction halls?
Buying at BCA - Jamesh266
Last time I bought from BCA at Blackbushe (November 04), you had to pay a deposit of £500 or 10% of the purchase price (whichever is the greater) at the rostrum as soon as the hammer fell.

You could collect the car straight away afterwards, but they give you two working days to collect the car, so you could arrange insurance in advance of collecting the car, and then buy your tax disc at a post office on the way home if you wanted to be completely legal. You can pay by cash (up to £9000) or bankers draft. I think they accept debit cards too.

The buyers' premium varies depending on how expensive the car is, and whether you are a trade or a public buyer. The last car I bought at BCA cost £1450 and the buyers' premium was £125.
Buying at BCA - Vin {P}
BCA very definitely do accept debit cards. Bung down a £500 deposit on it when you arrive, Then you settle the balance if you buy a car, or you get it back on your card as you leave if you don't.

My advice would be to use an auction buyer. He won't get carried away and will know what to look for on the car. Do a forum search on Joe Dowd and you'll find a dozen recommendations. On a car up to about £10K, he'll cost you a net £125, and is worth every penny at that price.

V
Buying at BCA - khizman
problem is, the car is on auction on tuesday!
So I don't have much time.
I think I will use a car transporter,
The car is being auctioned 130 miles from home, so I don't realy want to go back to collect.
Buying at BCA - CJay{P}
I do hope that you have looked at the autotrader for prices. Costs soon mount in auction buying, one might find oneself asking the question - was it worth it. A regular auction buyer tells me that auction prices these days are pretty strong.
Buying at BCA - Vin {P}
Khizman,

I hope you'll take this in the right spirit. You sound like you're planning to buy THIS car and turn up with a transporter. If the car's not quite right, you're likely to buy it anyway after the time, effort and money you've already invested. If the bidding goes too high for you, you're likely to keep going past the point of the car being a bargain, again because of the time and effort you've expended.

I know nothing at all about what you're buying, or your circumstances, but I humbly suggest that you're setting yourself up for a fall. I guarantee that unless you're after real exotica, there'll be another one along soon in another auction. Don't paint yourself into a position where you feel you need to buy a particular car at a particular auction if you can help it.

If it's any help, I speak from experience. The time I did go to auction when I really did have to have a car, I bought a lemon, because I ignored what my instincts were saying (I NEEDED a car, so stuff my gut feel!). Fortunately, it was enough of a lemon to reject. A lucky escape that taught me a great deal.

It depends on your time requirments, but if you can wait, an auction buyer doesn't care if he sees ten ropey cars waiting for the good one to come up - he'll wait for the right one before suggesting you bid on it. All that time you won't be traipsing up and down the auction sites, wasting your time and money.

If you feel you must have the car your way, I'd suggest you set a firm limit on how much you will pay, and under no circumstances go over it.

V
Buying at BCA - khizman
That sounds like some good advice, thanks.
Shall I just give Dowd a call on tues mornign and hope he's there?
Buying at BCA - horatio
If I were you I would expect the car to sell for just above the CAP clean price - given on the auctionview service up to CAP cln + 10%. Then you have buyers premium to pay on top of that price, the receptionist can give you approx buyers premiums. So you can look on autotrader to make sure you will not be overpaying for your motor.

They don't always list price guides for all lots though.

How you get it home is up to you, hire a transporter is a good way to do it.
Buying at BCA - khizman
Well, got auctioncarbuyer involved, I was unsure of the process, but he just told me not to buy the car as it wasn't good, he spent around 30 mins faffing around putting the service history together of the car only to find out it wasn't a nice car :(

Oh well, I will definatly use him again if a similar car comes up,,,
The hunt continues....