wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - PoloGirl
Tried a plug in ipod adaptor last month, with the FM transmitter. Disappointed with the sound quality / interference / general faff involved so took it back, got a refund and booked Gunther in to have a VW ipod kit fitted.

Today, 150 pounds later, I'm seriously underwhelmed.

It doesn't show track names on the stereo display so you can't scroll through and find a particular track or podcast.
It doesn't allow you to sort by album/genre/artist (which is, after all, the whole point of the ipod)
It's not in a cradle in the glove compartment, just plugs into a wire that hangs down.
When the ipod is in use, it shows which track is playing on the ipod, but the controls are disabled, so, for example, you couldn't ask the passenger to scroll through for you.

In very small print in the instructions there is something like "the track information is stored in the ipod and not the adaptor, so this information wont be available while using the adaptor". And there is something about going through and organising your music into five play lists, which I have neither the time or inclination to do. Grrr.

I know that all new Golfs come with the ipod kits fitted as standard, as do a lot of other cars now. Are they all like this, or can other people see track names?
wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - KMO
Some certainly work fine. My third-party one (Dice Electronics) gives you album/track/artist names on the display, and navigation via the steering-wheel controls. Navigation can be a bit cumbersome though, but on the positive side the controls on the iPod also still work simultaneously.
wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - Dynamic Dave
Out of the three recently tested on The Gadget Show (iTrip, i-Cast universal, & Macally FMCup)

the Macally FMCup came out on top, IIRC.

tinyurl.com/yqt94f
wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - Altea Ego
Probably becuase you dont have an ipod kit fitted. You have an aux in socket fitted. That means it will take any MP3 player (or any external analogue music source) The price you have been charged is just for labour and a few bits of wire, not the box of tricks to make an IPOD fully radio integrated.

To use an ipod properly it has to be integrated into the radio, usually using the remote cd autochager line (that can carry control data) - Usually if your radio has a cd chager, you cant have a fully integrated ipod control because your data line is already used.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - DP
Sis-in-law has the Dension IceLink kit fitted to her mk4 Golf. They had to disconnect the in dash CD player, but who needs a CD player with an iPod?

Sound quality is fantastic and it looks good, but doesn't display track information on the stereo display (Just "CD" and the track time). It does have a pukka cradle though.

Cheers
DP
wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - BB
Pologirl, unfortunatly this seems the case on a lot of cars. Whilst I am not an Ipod fan (an Archos is much better) I did consider getting a Volvo ipod kit fitted but when I read in more detail on volvo forums, it did state that you would not be able to view tracks on screen and indeed you could only move between 5 playlists. I didn't see teh point and so did not bother.

Something I did consider was this piece of kit below but in the end I just bought myself a new Archos PMA so didn't bother.

tinyurl.com/2w3cfk
wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - Altea Ego
Its seems the 5 playlist thing is emulating a cd changer. Tricking it into thinking it has 5 huge cd's!

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - No FM2R
>>Probably becuase you dont have an ipod kit fitted. You have an aux in socket fitted.

Stumpy is almost certainly correct and I would return to the fitters and raise the point.
wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - rtj70
On my 2003 Mondeo Ghia, there has always been an AUX in socket in the back of the glove box. So plugging any MP3 player in with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack lead will work. If you fit the iPOD in a cradle of some sort in line of sight you can then control the player with it's own controls. It's looking like the VW solution appears to be better than a £2 3.5mm jack lead plus cradle, but maybe not?

Personally, I have a 6 CD-RW disks which I frequently update with my current favourite tracks/albums and load them up in the CD changer. And I can always plug in the iPOD via AUX if I wanted to and just leave it in the cup holder. And being a 3rd gen iPOD you can also attach the in-cable remote control that comes with it near you to pause/fast forward if you want.
wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - Pugugly {P}
An Alpine adaptor on my the 5 Series, plugs into the bottom of the iPOD and allows you to jiggle and read tracks. Can't remember how much it cost though......(Birthday present from SWMBOd), set sits in a nice little crevice...
wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - IanW1977
It sounds like someone has cashed in on the I Pod in Car system in a big way - That's an obscene amount of cash to spend.
I just bought an aftermarket Kenwood Stereo (Well I say bought I bought it in 2003) - The leads you want to look at are the ones that plug into the back of the Stereo's CD Changed making the ipod act as a Multichanger.

The leads for the Kenwood is about £35 KCA IP500 - And You could have easily got a brand new decent Kenwood Car Stereo for £120.

This shows all the track info on the Stereo and lets you search by album, artist, genre etc and also lets you shuffle.
wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - cheddar
It sounds like someone has cashed in on the I Pod
in Car system in a big way - That's an obscene
amount of cash to spend.

Agreed, I have recently fiited a Pioneer MP3 CD player, OK it was on offer though it was only £100 inc adaptor / cables etc so it integrates perfectly with the Ford column controls, it illuminates as per the Ford dash, it displays artist name, album title, track title, genre and data rate.

At a few pence per CD-R I just RIP and burn a new compilation when I feel like it, at a whim, jeez, I am a devil aren't I a free spirit a DRM rolling stone ;-)
wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - bignick
for that money you could have gone for an in dash replacement stereo that will read CD/R or RW and MP3 - then just burn a couple of hundred tracks to a CD and away you go.

wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - mare
I use a old fashioned CD - tape adaptor with my iPOD. Cost £6 from ASDA. Works a treat, bit of hiss sometimes.
wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - PoloGirl
Hmmm... well what I've had fitted is called an ipod kit and sold as an ipod kit. I was told when I booked it that I couldn't have it if I had a multi-changer, which I don't.

What are my chances of being able to take it back, as it's a bit rubbish, and I wasn't told it wouldn't do the key things that an ipod should do? Sound quality is great, but it's missing the point by a long way. And yes, £150 is an obscene amount of money to spend to not know what tracks you're listening to.

wired-in ipod - are they all like this?! - cheddar
>>What are my chances of being able to take it back, as it's a bit rubbish, and I wasn't told it wouldn't do the key things that an ipod should do?>>

If it genuinely does not do what you bought it for or, even better, were told it would do then you have a good case. The problem will be that a lot of the £150 will be labour which is something than cannot be put back in to stock, being willing to accept a credit note might help, might not be any good for you though if your employer/lease company pays for your services.