VW Passat Brakes - bhoy wonder
Bought new rear pads for my Passat (54 Plate). Was trying to change them but could not get the pistons to go back. I think I will need a tool to do this. Can anybody advise as to where I can get this tool and how much it will cost to buy.
VW Passat Brakes - Screwloose
bhoy wonder

If this one has an electric handbrake, you'll need a scan-tool to wind back the pistons and re-set the computer. VAG-Com is probably your best bet.

wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/VW_Passat_%283C%29_Pa...e
VW Passat Brakes - adverse camber
54 plate would be old style though, wouldnt it ? - but thats another reason not to buy a new vw.
VW Passat Brakes - Hamsafar
Yes, you need to rotate and push them back with a special tool which is around £25 from a motor factors.
VW Passat Brakes - Mondaywoe
Don't know the rear brake setup on Passat at all, but the C5 front calipers have 'wind back' pistons. Strictly speaking you should use special tools (one for each side, actually because one side winds anticlockwise and the other clockwise) Having said that, though, I can do the C5 with a big screwdriver and a G clamp. Use the clamp to put (slight) pressure on the piston as you wind - upping the pressure gently as the piston moves in.

The C5 handbrake works on the front calipers so you also have to be careful about the windng direction - ie winding incorrectly can knacker the internal handbrake mechanism. I guess the Passat will have the HB working on the rear (??)

Another point to watch is that there is a danger of forcing dirty fluid back into the ABS pump if you don't release a bleed nipple on the caliper you're working on. Unfortunately, this results in having to bleed the system and because some cars require to be hooked up to the computer to operate the ABS valves while bleeding it lands up being a dealer job anyway! After changing my front pads last time I had to take it into the dealer for bleeding to get a good pedal again.

Graeme
VW Passat Brakes - LeePower
You can buy a brake calliper piston wind back tool for less then £10 from Draper that will fit on the end of a ratchet, attach it, insert it & twist away

Its a metal cube & has many different teeth patterns for different calliper pistons & fine for diy use.

tinyurl.com/2l72nt

VW Passat Brakes - 659FBE
I have a clone of this car (B5.5 Passat) and have done this job recently.

The pistons must be wound in with the correct tool. Both are right hand threads. The "cube" tool is useless and is likely to cause damage. Laser tools market a much better one (available from GSF) which works well. Do not allow the old fluid to go back into the ABS system or master cylinder.