Induction Kit = Performance Increase? - GregSwain
Have been considering replacing the standard air intake on my Almera with a K&N induction kit. The kit only costs around £45 and looks easy to fit, but would there be a noticable change in performance, or would it just "sound faster"?!?!

Also, what would the implications be for insurance? Would I need to inform my insurance company that I'd modified the car?!

Thanks.
Induction Kit = Performance Increase? - LeePower
Yes, you need to tell your insurance company.

Also after a while the novelty will wear off & the noise will get on your nerves, wouldn't bother wasting the £45 on it.
Induction Kit = Performance Increase? - GregSwain
Thought as much. Am not paying £45, and increased insurance premiums, just to have a noisier car. Thanks!
Induction Kit = Performance Increase? - DP
www.pumaracing.co.uk/gentune.htm

Scroll down to the Air Filters section.

I spent a whole rainy Sunday afternoon once reading all the articles on this guy's website. A refreshing outlook on engine tuning, and some really quite amusing contempt for the "bolt on" approach endorsed so heavily by the tuning comics.

Cheers
DP
Induction Kit = Performance Increase? - craig-pd130
The Aussie tuning mag Autospeed did a very thorough test of the restrictions in a typical modern car's induction system (I think it was a Honda Integra Type R) by measuring the pressure drop across various elements -- the airbox snorkel, the airbox itself, the filter, etc etc.

It found that the biggest overall pressure drop lay in the metal bits -- the intake manifold itself, and that relative to this the airbox, filter etc represented only 2% of the overall pressure drop.

Their conclusion was the same, it's very rare that a modern car will experience ANY benefit from an induction kit, and more often will suffer a drop in BHP due to hot air being ingested
Induction Kit = Performance Increase? - geoff1248
Get some stick on stripes, these always make cars go faster.
Induction Kit = Performance Increase? - Micky
Unless you have forced induction of some kind, it's difficult to obtain substantial bhp increases with modern cars without emptying the wallet. Probably better to sell the Almera and buy something more interesting.
Induction Kit = Performance Increase? - sierraman
Reiterating really,but what was done to engines in the 60s and 70s to increase efficiency has already been done on modern units.Poorly designed,strangling filter boxes were the norm then,but not now,so K&N type kits are more for under bonnet show.