1.4T VW Golf? - lazza
Just had a look at VW website to look for a Golf and astounded to see they do a 1.4 TSi 6-speed that kicks out 170pfs(160bhp?). Can't really see a piffly small engine lasting long in a heavy car such as a golf.
1.4T VW GOLF? - wontane
It is supercharged and Turbocharged - old story now actually.
I understand it runs a but rough but I think the intention is more power with less emmissions and fuel.
1.4T VW GOLF? - Vincent de Marco
It also comes with the superb DSG 6-speed autobox - an optional extra, naturally - but really, really worth it.
- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western democracy.
1.4T VW GOLF? - dodo
Had one for the weekend with the 170 bhp engine. Actually a lovely car to drive - economical and very docile. Could go very quickly if needed and less nose heavy (or indeed noisey) than the 170 bhp diesel version I drove later. Lots of clicks and whistles though!
1.4T VW GOLF? - Lud
Clicks and whistles... drool... now that's what I call an interesting motor. Reckon you'd want a fairly new one though.
1.4T VW GOLF? - AlanGowdy
I believe Fiat is also fitting small-capacity super- and turbo-charged petrol engines to some of its upcoming models. It's all very interesting - possibly the way back to competitiveness for petrol engines to enable them to compete with diesel's current overwhelming superiority in achieving good performance with good economy. I may even consider one myself.
1.4T VW GOLF? - DP
Clarkson called it "one of the worst five cars ever made" in his Times column, saying it was too jerky and rough but not having driven it, I can't comment.

In theory it;s a nice idea. The fuel efficiency and torque (almost) of a diesel with the quietness, response and top end power you only get with a petrol engine. I do wonder how such a highly stressed engine will cope with 100,000 miles with a typical driver's lack of understanding / care about keeping fluids topped up as well as modern extended service intervals, but I guess VW must know what they are doing.

Cheers
DP
1.4T VW Golf? - flynn
Can't really see a piffly small engine lasting long in a heavy car such as a golf.

Suppose the answer is, if it's designed to, it will.

I've still got an old 1990 Citroen BX 16v which pushes out 160bhp from just 1905cc to propel a fair-sized car from 0-60 in just over 7 secs. (Or did when new.) Does it without any turbo or supercharger whizzy things, just one of those new-fangled electronic fuel-injection thingies, the Bosch Motronic. Don't get to use it much now but 17 years old and still going strong.
1.4T VW Golf? - LeePower
Nice to hear someone still has a running BX 16 valve going strong, most if not all get broken just for the engine that then finds its way under a 205 bonnet.
1.4T VW Golf? - Avant
I've seen some road tests of this model suggesting that turbo lag is particularly bad with this engine. Make sure you try one on the open road and see if you can live with it.
1.4T VW Golf? - runboy
I've seen some road tests of this model suggesting that turbo
lag is particularly bad with this engine. Make sure you
try one on the open road and see if you can
live with it.

Interesting as the supercharger is supposed to overcome this. Reviews I've read have been good.
1.4T VW Golf? - Mad Maxy
IIRC I heard HJ on the radio commenting on driving the 1.4TSi and the 170 bhp diesel and saying the petrol was much nicer - more low-down torque and progressive power delivery.

Sounds an interesting motor.
1.4T VW Golf? - alex823
I drove one a few months back. Was very impressed. Lots of low down torque (like a diesel) but also very happy to rev like a normal petrol. In the short 20 minutes or so i was driving it I didnt really notice any turbo lag. It was certainly a lot better than the 2.0 VAG diesel I drove in a Leon which was clattery and boring to drive. Thought it handled very well too. Only thing I would criticise is being a Golf it was typically boring to look at inside and out and lacking in features as standard which makes it a bit pricey.

Go and drive it for yourself and igore what reporters say (they usually get it wrong anyway in my experience).
1.4T VW Golf? - Aprilia
Just seems like a lot of expensive and complex technology to get 160PS. Its a lot easier and cheaper just to make the engine 600cc bigger and leave out the super- and turbo-charger. It would probably weigh less, last longer and not give you the worry of a potentially astronomical out-of-warranty repair bill. One of those with a DSG gearbox would not be welcome used buy at three years old I think?
1.4T VW Golf? - Avant
The most recent test I was thinking of was in Autocar, 21 March, where Andrew Frankel says that the Golf is "infuriatingly hesitant when you change gears, making even the most skilled and smooth driver look like an amateur"

From what we hear about VW's quality control, maybe this is a flaw that only some of them suffer from.

I've tried a 170 TDI and the power somes on very strongly and suddenly - in fairness I think one would get used to that. I'd like to know if the DSG gearbox makes this surge less or more marked.