I Have A Question - Volume 177 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 178 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 177. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Race to exchange contracts - L'escargot
Both us and another couple have made offers for a bungalow and, although our offer is the highest, the vendor has accepted both. I get the impression that when the time comes the estate agent for the vendor will expect us to have a race to exchange contracts. Is this normal and accepted practice, and would you take part in such a race? Is there any way round this? I reckon that if we lost the race it could cost us anything up to £2000.
--
L\'escargot.
Race to exchange contracts - No FM2R
As a vendor I would certainyl adopt this tactic as it is likely to result in a faster sale and potentially a little more money. Indeed I have done so in the past.

As a purchaser I would use that situation as part of my buy/no buy decision. If I felt I could be quicker it wouldn't worry me. If I felt I couldn't be quicker then I might not bother. Either way I would reduce my offer to that of the other party.
Race to exchange contracts - FotheringtonThomas
and, although our offer is the highest, the vendor has accepted
both. I get the impression that when the time comes
the estate agent for the vendor will expect us to have
a race to exchange contracts. Is this normal and accepted
practice, and would you take part in such a race? Is
there any way round this? I reckon that if we lost
the race it could cost us anything up to £2000.

How can he accept both? A contract race is not normal or good, and if it were me, I'd state to the vendor in simple terms that my offer was just that, if he wants a lower amount sell to the other person. I would also make rude remarks about the estate agent in question, and the vendor for (apparently) going along with such a slimy tactic.
How can he accept both?

Well he can't but then its nto really "acceptance" in the true definition anyway.

>>A contract race is not normal

It may or may not be "normal" but its pretty frequent.
or good,

Depends if you're buying or selling
and if it were me, I'd state to the vendor in simple terms that my offer was just that,

Now that rather depends on how much you want the house. Or would you really walk away from a house that you love and will live in for years because the vendor might annoy you over a couple of week period ? nose, face, cut, spite.
would also make rude remarks about the estate agent in question,

Why ? It wasn;t his decision ?
with such a slimy tactic.

Slimy in what way ?

Ever sold a house ?? Did you try to get the hgihest price or the quickest completion ? Are you telling me that you wouldn't set two buyers against each other if you felt it would get you more money ? I don't believe you.
>> How can he accept both?
Well he can't but then its nto really "acceptance" in the
true definition anyway.

Of course it is not. I did not say it was either.

>>A contract race is not normal
It may or may not be "normal" but its pretty frequent.

It happens in a small minority of sales.

>> or good,
Depends if you're buying or selling

In either case it can cause problems. As a buyer, I would not participate in a contract race. As a seller, I would not try it on.

>> and if it were me, I'd state to the vendor
in simple terms that my offer was just that,
Now that rather depends on how much you want the house.
Or would you really walk away from a house that you
love and will live in for years because the vendor might
annoy you over a couple of week period ? nose, face,
cut, spite.

Of course there are exceptions.

>> would also make rude remarks about the estate agent in
question,
Why ? It wasn;t his decision ?

You don't know estate agents or selling if you say this is the sole decision of the vendor.

>> with such a slimy tactic.
Slimy in what way ?

S L I M Y.

Ever sold a house ??

A few times.

Did you try to get the
hgihest price or the quickest completion ?

One needs to achieve a balance, as you ought to be aware. A contract race is not the only way of getting the best price, and is far from the best.

Are you telling
me that you wouldn't set two buyers against each other if
you felt it would get you more money ? I don't
believe you.

[sigh]

> >> >> How can he accept both?
>> Well he can't but then its nto really "acceptance" in the true definition anyway.
Of course it is not. I did not say it was either.

No, you asked a question. To which a frequent response is an answer.
>> >>A contract race is not normal
>> It may or may not be "normal" but its pretty frequent.
It happens in a small minority of sales.

You are bluffing. You have no idea if you are right or not. In my experience you would be wrong.
As a buyer, I would not participate in a contract race. As a seller, I would not try it on.

Inexplicably the original poster asked for your opinions. Try offering them and leaving mine alone.
>> Now that rather depends on how much you want the house. Or would you really walk away from a house that...
Of course there are exceptions.

That was exactly my point, hence the use of the work "depends".
One needs to achieve a balance, as you ought to be aware. A contract race is not the only way of getting the best price, and is far from the best.

Stuff the balance. I want the most money and the quickest time. If a race will achieve that for me, or I believe it will, then it is a tactic I would use. Please try and retain a grip on the word "if" since if I did not feel it was the best way , then I wouldn't do it.

However, since you concede both exceptions and balance, I extrapolate from that the idea that you could live with it as a buyer if you wanted the house enough, and would try it as a vendor if you felt it the best way in a given circumstance.

I suspect that is the type of response best suited to your abilities. Try reading, understanding and thinking since you may well find that it enhances your experience over and above what you have obviously tried over the last few years.

However, if you are seriously saying that you would walk away from a house you loved sufficiently over this, or you would forgoe an additional sum of money rather than do it, then I stand by my opinion - you are a liar.
You are bluffing.

If you want to play stupid games, that's up to you - but you're on your own.
>> You are bluffing.
If you want to play stupid games, that's up to you but you're on your own.

Not a game, just a bit more polite than saying that either you know nothing or you are talking our of your backside on a subject about which you clearly have either thought little or know nothing. And, as everybody knows, I always try to be polite.
Race to exchange contracts - Clk Sec
We've moved house quite frequently but have never encountered this before. If it was me I'd take a walk in the opposite direction.
We've moved house quite frequently but have never encountered this before.
If it was me I'd take a walk in the
opposite direction.

Hear, hear, but I'd first give them the opportunity to sell to me, bearing in mind I offered a higher price anyway, and the vendor may have been misled. If no joy, walk, telling them why!
Race to exchange contracts - cheddar
Perhaps inform the agent that you are not happy about incurring costs on the basis that another party is in the frame though you will not withdraw your higher offer as long as the seller agrees to reimburse any (reasonable) costs you have incurred if they proceed with the other other party. You would probably have liitle chance of getting anything out of them in such circumstances though it is not walking away, it leaves the door open (scuse the pun!) and might focus the seller's mind.
Race to exchange contracts - Dalglish
I get the impression that.... will expect us to have a race to exchange contracts.
Is this normal and accepted practice, and would you take part in such a race?
Is there any way round this?
I reckon that if we lost the race it could cost us anything up to £2000.

if i have formed the wrong impression, please ignore this post, but the impression i have is that l'escargot likes to take his time (hence his name?) and is a pretty cautious fellow. in which case this kind of race may not be one for his character (even though the tortoise may have won against the hare, i doubt if a snail will beat the tortoise ! :: ;-) :: ).

1. so whether it is normal or not, enter the race only if you are comfortable with the whole process.
2. you could speed up the process and try to win, for example by getting a bridging loan pending the sale of your current house.
3. weigh up the potential loss against the potential gain, how badly you want this house, and whether you think house prices are rising at a rate which means your next "i want this" house moment will cost you a lot more than this current "i want this" one.
iirc, it has taken 2 years or so for you to get to "i want this" bungalow.

Race to exchange contracts - Vin {P}
My take on this would be:

Call the vendor directly and ask them what they are trying to achieve. Is it a guaranteed sale, or a quick sale, or best price (apparently not in this case)? Then see what it would take to reassure them that you are going to help them achieve what they want. Point out that one possible outcome (if, say, they want speed) is that if you feel you're dropping behind in the race you'll likely cut your losses and drop the purchase - then they'll be left with the lower price AND no pressure on the other party to rush.

If you find out what's driving their behaviour, you'll be able to come up with a solution that suits them, I'll bet.

V
if i have formed the wrong impression, please ignore this post,
but the impression i have is that l'escargot likes to take
his time

Not at all. I would be happy to proceed as fast as is humanly possible. But the time taken for me to complete would depend on my surveyor, my solicitor, and my buyer and his solicitor etc. In other words it would to a out of my control to a great extent. If I agreed to a race I could be flogging a dead horse.
--
L\'escargot.
l'escargot ........ (hence his name?)

Dalglish,

If you really want to know, it was a nickname given to me during one period of my life by friends who watched too much "Magic Roundabout", and it appealed to my whimsical nature to use it here. Originally it was "L'escargot by name but not by nature" but I shortened it because I thought that was too ostentatious.
--
L\'escargot.
Race to exchange contracts - AngryJonny
Both us and another couple have made offers for a bungalow and, although
our offer is the highest, the vendor has accepted both.

That's appalling behaviour. I wouldn't begin to open negotiations with a seller who employed such a disgusting tactic. "Accepting" two offers is a quirk of the UK property industry that you just can't do elsewhere. If a vendor is prepared to do this to you, how else are they going to screw you? Someone is going to lose out and 50/50 it's going to be you. Walk away and find a seller with some concept of moral decency.

If an offer is "accepted" it should be concrete and any party backing out should be responsible for the costs of the other party/parties involved. The law surrounding property transactions in this country is far too lax. Unfortunately, over here, the concept of making and accepting an offer means nothing - it relies solely on the scruples of those involved. This vendor has none.
"That's appalling behaviour. I wouldn't begin to open negotiations with a seller who employed such a disgusting tactic. "

The problem you have here, though, is that this is a house L'escargot wants. Probably a great deal, if he's got to offer stage. Backing out now would be letting emotional responses guide an important decision.

The other person is behaving rationally. They must have a good reason for doing what they are doing. (even Hitler was behaving rationally, given his beliefs). What will it cost to give them a call to find out what the reason is? It MIGHT be that they have tried to sell before and been let down, possibly at huge cost. It might be that they need to move within a given period of time. It might be they are in dire need of the money for a life-saving operation. Without speaking to them, you're never going to find out what's driving them. Getting on your high horse and flouncing off into the sunset isn't going to resolve matters either for them or for you. Getting into a contract race is a gamble., and may well not resolve matters to your satisfaction. I hereby bet £5 that if you speak to them, there'll be a rational (and resolvable) reason for the race. I note, by the way, that your OP says only that you have a suspicion this may end up as a race. £5 to Help the Aged (I'll be old one day!) if I'm wrong and they are just being bloody minded.

V

What will it cost
to give them a call to find out what the
reason is?

This is quite often not possible because estate agents do not divulge things like the vendors telephone number. In this instance, although I have found out the telephone number of the property via the directory, the vendors are living at another property they own.
--
L\'escargot.
I
hereby bet £5 that if you speak to them, there'll be
a rational (and resolvable) reason for the race. I note,
by the way, that your OP says only that you have
a suspicion this may end up as a race.

It was their estate agent that implied that this would/could be the case, and I think it will be their policies that dictate this kind of thing. Don't forget that when you sell a house through an agent you are putting the sale in their hands.
--
L\'escargot.
Race to exchange contracts - defender
Accepting" two offers is a quirk of the UK property industry that you just can't do elsewhere
this is not the case in Scotland ,if an offer is accepted here it is legally binding .I put an offer in on a house 2 weeks ago before survey so no costs involved but the offer stated subject to survey and I negotiated an ajustment for a small problem that I never noticed that the survey brought to light ,however the downside here is guessing what the price will be as property can be anything up to 40% over the asking price which is just a gamble
Unfortunately, over here, the concept of making
and accepting an offer means nothing - it relies solely on
the scruples of those involved. This vendor has none.

I'm sure the vendors are merely following the advice of their estate agent. Any enmity I have over this aspect is towards the agent, not the vendors.
--
L\'escargot.
Race to exchange contracts - Altea Ego
I have bought precisly Two houses. Buying the first one I entered into a contract race. As a first time buyer with a confirmed mortgage I won. So where I live and with my experience contract races are pretty common.

On the other hand I helped someone else move. Saw house, made offer, Estate agent then said someone else was after it and could move quickly.

Response from us was Ok thats fine, let them have it. Funny thing was the other offer didnt appear, how strange.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
As a first time buyer with
a confirmed mortgage I won.

How did you persuade your solicitor etc to act swiftly? I can sign pieces of paper at the drop of a hat, but how do I make all the other parties accept the need for speed and give priority to my case?
--
L\'escargot.
Race to exchange contracts - Rebecca {P}
Perhaps stating the obvious, but make sure you instruct a real, proper solicitor, and preferably one that doesn't use a computerised conveyancing management system.

In my recent move (not a contract race), the vendors used a local firm with a management system that was the cause of a few days delay (not sure how, but that's what I was told).

I felt that my solicitor (one of the partners) really did work well for me. I think the fact I went in and met him prior to instructing the firm helped a lot too. I work just round the corner from their offices so could also cut out the need for a day's post each way by picking up and dropping off various documents. You could also find out about doing the local search yourself as this is where a lot of delays can occur.

I'm not sure if you need a mortgage, but I was told that the Woolwich (and associated companies) are dreadfully slow with their admin (and that has been my experience with two applications to them). This time I went with Alliance & Leicester via an independent broker who were very efficient.
One detail if you do get into a contract race. Tell your solicitor you will pay the exra for every document to go via Special Delivery rather than by DX post, which is the solicitors own postal system. Cheaper, but not as quick. Impress on them the need for speed.

Another way to go is tell the vendor you'll drop the price to the other offer, then offer your solicitor the extra cash provided you win the race. That'll get them to pull their fingers out.

I knew someone years ago who looked at a (admittedly empty) house on a Tuesday and completed on a Friday. It was about 1985 or so, and he just told the solicitor to send people to (for example) send a clerk down to the registry to submit a search and wait at the place till they got the result. Cost him more, but got the job done.

I still reckon that you should ask the estate agent to pass on your request for a direct chat with the vendor. Point out that they will get less commission if the other person wins. That will concentrate their nasty little minds.

V
Race to exchange contracts - Pugugly {P}
Where was I missed this one ?!

Contract races are an undesirable side effect of the current housing market. If you want that house you'll have to race simple as that. From the seller's perspective they might be in a race of sorts for their new property. The decision to race is down to the seller not the Estate Agent (unless prompted by them) or even by the Solicitor if it's got to that stage. This how things are in the real world these days, distasteful but not illegal.
Race to exchange contracts - CGNorwich
Totally agree with "Angry Johny". have actually been in this position some years back. I withdrew from the sale and the deal with the rival buyer then fell through. Estate agent actually then approached me to see if I was still interested! I had by then found nother property with seller who had some standards. Just walk away. Problem is in getting emotionally attached to house before its yours but there's always somethning else out there
Race to exchange contracts - Pugugly {P}
I had a buyer (for whom I was doing a favour) actually end up paying a couple of grand in hard cash to ensure they got the property, not illegal that either but very very tasteless.
Any wine experts? - David Horn
Going through my grandad's wine cellar, discovered 15 bottles of 1970 Chateau Reysson. We opened one and it tastes very nice, very mellow but still nice. Can't find anything about it on the internet - are there any wine experts out there who might know if it's worth keeping / selling / drinking immediately. ;-)

Thanks,

David.
Any wine experts? - No FM2R
Its my day for being helpful..........

Name: Chateau Reysson
Region: Bordeaux: Medoc/Haut-Medoc
Contact: Mestrezat & Domaines, 17 Cours de la Martinique - BP 90 33027 Bordeaux Cedex France
Telephone: 05 56 01 30 10
Also...

Since 1987 the owners are...

www.answers.com/topic/mercian-corporation
Any wine experts? - barchettaman
Can´t find anything either. Drink it, but save me a drop or two :-)
PS might be worth careful decanting, as it will have thrown a sediment (if you didn´t know that already)
Any wine experts? - No Do$h
On a similar note I have a couple of bottles of Cavendish Port from the late 1940s left to me by my late father. Any ideas?
Any wine experts? - cheddar
IIRC in general early 70's to early 80's Bordeaux not considered that great, mid 80's on better, 1970 should be OK if looked after though not a classic year AFAIK. Dont know any Chateau specifics, if sought after could be worth £50 a bottle though perhaps unlikely.
>>if sought after could be worth £50 a bottle though perhaps unlikely.

You mgiht be surprised. I also don't know anything about that specific Chateau/vintage, but some from that sort of era, or certainly the early 80s, can be a few hundred per bottle.

Worth checking with one of the wine auction houses, I would have thought.
Any wine experts? - Stuartli
I have a 150ml bottle of Chateaux Siran dated 1986 - reckoned to be worth into three figures.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I have a 150ml bottle of Chateaux Siran dated 1986 -
reckoned to be worth into three figures.

>>

Do you mean 1.5 ltrs?
>>Do you mean 1.5 ltrs?

Or are you a leprechaun ?
>>Do you mean 1.5 ltrs?>>

Meant cls of course...:-)

Stayed at the chateaux, which is quite near to Bordeaux, in the early 1990s and had a conducted tour - the red wine itself was quite superb.
Any wine experts? - Baskerville
I just consulted a friend who knows about these things and she reckons that between £100 and £130 in a restaurant would not be unfair for a Haut-Medoc from decent house like this, but she doesn't know this actual vintage. She reckons it's past its best and most of the value is now in its rarity.

At that price I'd drink it and toast the old fellow when you do.
Any wine experts? - bintang
The 2003 vintage costs £11 per bottle and should be drunk by 2012. Yours may be past its best so enjoy it now.
enjoy it now.

Good idea ..... and if you want any help ;-)
Can't help at the moment - still recovering from enjoying some excellent - and expensive - French reds last night...:-)

Any wine experts? - deepwith
David, my man who knows (wine importer) says drink most of it sooner rather than later, but hang on to a few bottles to drink in the future just to see what happens. If it has turned to vinegar nothing lost as it will still be great in cooking! We shared a 50 year old bottle with him some year ago - the first glass immediately after pulling the cork was okay - the second glass half an hour later after decanting was wonderful - I can still taste it!
Any wine experts? - Mapmaker
At £12 for 2003 from the Wine Society, a claret worth keeping. 1970 was a very good vintage (unlike 67,68,69,71,72,73,74).

1975 and 1976 Reysson (similar-ish sorts of years in Bordeaux to 1970, so good comparables) retailing at £15-£20. So It's not going to pay for your new car, sorry!

You liked it and enjoyed it; I'd continue to do the same with the rest. I really doubt it's worth keeping it any longer; it's 35 years old now, and probably fully mature - hence the 'mellowness' you describe. Equally, it's probably not going to go off in the next five years.

With wines that age you may want to experiment with decanting and not decanting; with drinking the moment that the cork is pulled, and watching what happens over an hour or two. Sometimes with an old wine all the interest will evaporate within minutes (30 seconds even) of opening; and you will be left with a flat, tasteless bottle. Sometimes, letting some air get into the wine allows layer upon layer of undiscovered flavour to appear.

You have a few bottles, so you should be able to work out what suits it best. And for an educational interest point of view, always sniff the bottle the following morning. You may be surprised at the fragrance.
Gurgling Toilet - PhilDS
Last night out of the blue, our downstairs loo started making gurgling noises. It happened 2 or 3 times for a few seconds each. It has also done the same today. The water level also dropped slightly. There are no noises elsewhere and as far as I can see the washing machine and dishwasher are unaffected.

Is this a blocked drain or over flowing toilet heading our way?

I have drainage insurance in place but have realised I haven't changed addresses with Homeserve since we bought the place in November.
Gurgling Toilet - local yokel
You need someone to rod the pipe from your manhole outside the house and away to the main sewer. Most probably someone has flushed a few items down the loo that have become stuck in a mass. By the sounds of things some water is passing through, or you'd know about it.

You could try getting a couple of big buckets (the size builders use, 15 litres) full of fresh water, and emptying them into the downstairs loo at speed, one after the other. The weight of water may just shift the partial blockage.

If you are close to Wallingford I'll come and rod them for you!
Gurgling Toilet - mjm
When is it gurgling? Is it after it has been flushed or totally at random with no one using it?
If it is after flushing then local yokel is on the right track(pipe?)
If it at random without being used then it might be the vent (stench pipe) for the manhole blocking up. It is the right time of year for birds to start nesting and they may have decided to build on top of the pipe.
Gurgling Toilet - PhilDS
Gurgling randonly. No one had used the toilet for maybe a couple of hours. The toilet is on the opposite side of the house from the soil vent pipe which is attached to the bathroom loo. It is very close to a manhole cover outside. Should I lift that and have a peek with torch? I was thinking if getting some chemical cleaner. Any suggestions?
Gurgling Toilet - defender
chemical cleaner should never need to be used on toilet drains and in fact are very detrimental to the biodegrading proccessand should be avoided ,different story perhaps on a gunged up bath or sink outlet where cleaner may work,take the advice given about lots of water down it quickly or having it pushed through with drain rods
Gurgling Toilet - mjm
Is the sewer a shared one? ie does the main drain serve a run of houses on an estate?
If it does, "waste" from connections further up the sewer run may be flowing through your manhole and causing a slight vacuum in your house sewer connection pipe. This can be enough to "pull" some water out of the "u" bends in your WC, sinks etc, giving you the gurgling. I would suggest a good look at the vent pipe to your manhole.

The WC gurgle would sound louder than a sink one, the bowl is a natural amplifier.(and also a direct telephone link to God on the odd ocaision!)
Gurgling Toilet - Group B
If the loo does not have a proper soil and vent pipe that goes through the roof, does it have a stub stack with an air admittance valve (AAV) fitted? If so it could be the valve sticking so not letting air through, and allowing the vacuum in the sewer to suck water out of the loo trap?

snipurl.com/1e8oy
Gurgling Toilet - Altea Ego
Happens to me a lot, Whip up the man hole cover and flush the loos in the house to see what happens. 99% you have a blockage., Get some rods donw the local DIY if you have.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Gurgling Toilet - local yokel
Is it just the one loo that's gurgling? If so it would suggest to me that the blockage is close to it.

www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=14843&ts=5...0 are your friends.

FWIW drainage insurance is a big waste of money, in my extensive experience of drains. 99% of problems can be cured with rodding. Get some long gloves while your are about it!
Gurgling Toilet - wemyss
Water being siphoned from the pan as suggested earlier is a good one.
It could be when you flush the upstairs one and as the water enters the manhole a vacuum occurs and tries to pull the downstairs water trap.
Have you a short pipe up the side of the house from the manhole with a flap to admit air which was an old way of doing it. Long ago on multiple storey buildings such as Hospitals a small pipe was taken from the soil stack back into the building and connected back into the pan to avoid siphoning when an upstairs toilet was flushed. How they do it nowadays I've no idea.
However lifting the manhole is the first thing to do before anything else.
wemyss.
Video to DVD - Doc
I want to archive some old videos onto DVD.
My recorder (Panasonic) will cope with most discs.( DVD-Ram, etc.)
Which would be the best type to use for quality and what make?

Video to DVD - Stuartli
>>Which would be the best type to use for quality and what make?>>

DVD-R media will be the one most likely to play in most domestic DVD players; as for makes, any manufacturer that rebadges Taiyo Yuden media (or even TY branded media itself) will guarantee quality, among the brands being Imation and Infiniti. Taiyo Yuden own branded products generally tend to be more expensive though.

However, as in the manner Carlsburg claims, it's "probably" the best" media in the world...:-) TDK is also excellent.

Best and cheapest outlet to my knowledge, and the one I use, is www.7dayshop.com, which is based in Guernsey - no VAT on orders of £17.99 or under and you can buy a lot of DVD-R disks for that price at this outlet.
Video to DVD - Stuartli
A little more info on DVD media quality:

www.cdr-zone.com/articles/recordable_dvd_quality_p...l

www.dvdshoponline.co.uk/Taiyo-Yuden.html

Incidentally, Imation claims that the majority of its DVD media is good for up to 100 years' storage (don't ask me just how it can make this claim!).
Video to DVD - Big Bad Dave
I bought a Philips DVD HD player in December, it's very nice bit of kit. I've had no problems burning and replaying dvds on it but the dvd player in the kids' room is a £25 cheapo jobbie (they break them every other week) and unless you use premium media (i.e. Sony) it won't replay them. It's a bit of a bummer to fill a disk up with two hours of Peppa Pig and find that another player won't play it. Just something to bear in mind...
Client contract Q - arnold2
I run a web-design company, and we've run into a problem with one of our contracted jobs.

Essentially, we agreed to do a job based on a (minimum) up-front payment, followed by a percentage from the profits from the website (it's a shopping type site, generating revenue). We were happy with the potential returns off the site, so we went ahead.

The problem we now have is 'meeting-itus' from our client, who essentially want endless meetings/phone calls to discuss the project, and keep slipping in 'extras' into the deal. Also, because the person 'dealing' with the site from the company is not really proficient for the job, it has taken twice as long as scheduled. Of course, that means the website isn't live, & we don't get paid ...

On the one hand they are a good client of ours, so we don't want to annoy them, on the other hand we have been sorely taken for a ride ! Our expenses payment now doesn't cover what we have spent ...

We feel it is down to the fact that they aren't really 'paying' for the site - all our other jobs have been normal paying ones. Anyone any ideas how we should move this forward with the client without upsetting them ?
Client contract Q - Dalglish
.. Anyone any ideas how we should move this forward with the client without upsetting them ?

i will restrain myself to answering your question as positively as i can:

my suggestion is that at your next meeting, tell them that you would like pay any penalty due and to renegotiate the terms of the contract. learn from this and don't offer this kind of contract ever again - unless you are willing to accept the rough with the smooth and accept that some may turn out to be winners like google or e-bay whereas others will disappear off the scene without any trace (such as the ones i cannot find any trace of now ).

hope it goes well and good luck.
Client contract Q - Altea Ego
Next time (for its too late now) you include a tight "scope of work" in you contract. For this type of work your scope would include

"xx days pre design consultancy"

"web site to include xxx number of function y, xxx of function z, xxxmb of space, xxx extrnal links.

addtions to the scope will be charged at £xxx for yy, live date must be by mmddyyyy or penalty £xx. for lost revenue.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Client contract Q - arnold2
ah - wise advice ! Cheers :-)
Digital LCD TVs. - FotheringtonThomas
Someone in thread 176 asked about these. Try Aldi (www.aldi.co.uk), on 1st. April 19" LCD TV & DVD Combi with Freeview £249.99 , with Aldi's very good 3-year warranty.

Digital LCD TVs. - Stuartli
That appears to be good value - equivalent to a 21in CRT set and can also be used as a monitor.

Full details at: www.aldi-stores.co.uk/
Digital LCD TVs. - artful dodger {P}
Just a reminder that the TV ariel may need to be changed to get a good signal. I use digital TV but was considered to be in an area that could not receive it but a change in ariel did the trick. After the full switch over to digital I believe the signal strength is going to be increased.

--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Digital LCD TVs. - Stuartli
>>that the TV aerial may need to be changed to get a good signal.>>

This is quite true and the type required is a wideband aerial, sometimes incorrectly referred to as a "digital" aerial.

The older narrowband aerials missed out on the middle channels of the original ON/ITVDigital transmissions even if you were, like me, able to receive a strong signal.

Cashing in an endowment - mare
Can anyone recommend a firm to sell an endowment? Personal recommendation preferably, I can do a google search, but it's not as good as someone's experience.

TIA
Cashing in an endowment - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have not used these people but they have been in the business for a very long time which should be a good sign!
www.foster-and-cranfield.co.uk/
Train Speed Record - rtj70
Just watching the coverage on BBC News 24 about the record set by the TGV v150 train - the one with "bigger wheels and two supercharged engines"...

So what do they mean by a supercharged engine in this instance. The train's electric... Do they simply mean more powerful than a normal TGV? Or something totally different.

cheers
Train Speed Record - henry k
Just watching the coverage on BBC News 24 about the record set by the TGV v150 train
the one with "bigger wheels and two supercharged engines"...

>>
See it again but a longer clip.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGlIMJ7PlTY
Train Speed Record - bell boy
looks like they turned up the power on the scalextric power supply
used to blow the motors when i put 14 volts through my old racing cars mind
wonder if the tgv will melt a middle white bearing?
Train Speed Record - SjB {P}
I've taken the Maglev from Pudong airport to the suburbs of Shanghai many a time and the 431kph (268mph) is mightily impressive. Makes the Eurostar and regular TGV feel slow, so I would rather like to experiece the 356mph of the demonstration special TGV or the Japanese development maglev with the outright train speed record at 361mph! Constructed - rumoured at a loss - by a Thyssen, Siemens, and Adtranz, joint venture, the Shanghai-Pudong maglev line is just under nineteen miles long and has a journey time of less than seven and a half minutes with a good proportion of the journey spent simply slowing down! A Chinese colleague tells me that during a commissioning test run on this line, a speed of 501 kph (so 312 mph) was reached, and the aforementioned JV is bidding for the Shanghai-Beijing line. I personally feel however that given the distance involved, the complex construction, and the huge operating energy requirement, that a wheeled TGV-style train is more likely to get the nod.

On describing the first time I took the Maglev to my father, he retorted that it was "an English invention left under funded and under developed by ourselves, taken up and worked out by the Germans, and showcased in Asia!"
Train Speed Record - SjB {P}
I just searched Wikipedia for "maglev" and gained a wealth of information now copied for when I'm bored on my next long haul flight!

This bit made me smile though! ...

Vactrain
Maglev ground speed is capped by aerodynamic drag and noise limitations. The use of evacuated tunnels (i.e. a partial vacuum) similar to the external air pressure of air travel at 40,000 feet could boost travel speeds for Maglevs to 5,000 mph (8,000 km/h). As early as 1973, a RAND study concluded that future high-performance maglev systems built with advanced tunneling and control technologies, could form the backbone of a true global "subway system".[9] Theoretically, these tunnels could be built deep enough to pass under oceans or to use gravity to assist the trains' acceleration. This would likely be prohibitively costly without major advances in tunnelling technology. Alternatives such as elevated concrete tubes with partial vacuums have been proposed to reduce these costs. If the trains topped out at around 8000 km/h (5000 mph), the 5567km trip between London and New York would take a short 54 minutes, effectively supplanting aircraft as the world's fastest mode of public transportation.
Train Speed Record - Altea Ego
MAglev is a promised flower that has never bloomed. And it probably never will. For the very reasons you gave, "the complex construction, and the huge operating energy requirement," Dont forget you cant easily switch maglev trains from track to track, they are utterly unflexible and only suitable for point to fixed point.

For those very reasons the Germans have dumped maglev plans as well.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Train Speed Record - Stuartli
This is the YouTube video of last year's run.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJb-oUgSwN8

Is anyone able to explain just why the train is on the left hand track - the captions etc are not reversed...:-)?
Train Speed Record - SpamCan61 {P}
The French railways drive on the left side of a double track, like in the UK, but unlike most of continental euope, which drives on the right.

www.sinfin.net/railways/world/france.html
Except of course where reversible lines are used. And i Seem to recall that my use of high speed trenitalia (italian railways) last year, was on the left.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Train Speed Record - cheddar
The French Railways were laid out by a British engineer who's name escapes me however the lines in Alsace run on the right because they were laid out by the Germans before it became part of France so there are complex switchover as you enter that region of France.
Yet the videos of yesterday's record breaking run show the TGV on the right hand track, in contrast to last year.

I am aware that the train and track were upgraded for the attempt; even so I don't think I would be too keen at travelling at such speeds on a train which only has narrow wheel flanges keeping it on the track...:-)
The wheel flanges do not keep it on the track. The wheel flanges are only used on slow sharp corners.

Train wheels are slightly connical, thinner diameter inwards, the effect of which is to keep the train on track without the flanges even glancing the track. With correct radiusing* and cambering *of bends, at speed the flanges dont even touch at speed round bends.

* Which is why dedicated track is required for "trains of great speed" train à grande vitesse Pendilino or titling train technology just dont cut it. High speed train technology is as much about the permanent way (thats track to you and me) as it is about the train.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Train Speed Record - Number_Cruncher
>>The wheel flanges do not keep it on the track

Quite true. In my opinion the railway bogie with solid wheelset and tapered wheels (small diameter outside as I'm sure you meant to say) is one of the most elegant mechanical designs there are.

There is a conflicting design requirement against which we struggle in the UK with our meandering tracks. A bogie designed for very high speed running has very poor curving ability. If you modify the tyre profile (typically by increasing the taper) to cure the poor curving, the bogie suffers from yaw instability. This is why most trains in the UK that can go 100 mph or more are fitted with extra yaw dampers.

Number_Cruncher
Thanks for the info regarding the wheel flanges.

Train Speed Record - rtj70
Nice to know about flanges and wheels but what did they do to the "engine" to supercharge it to go so much faster apart from increase current. Or was that what they did?
Train Speed Record - cheddar
Nice to know about flanges and wheels but what did they
do to the "engine" to supercharge it to go so much
faster apart from increase current. Or was that what they did?

I assume the higher current will provide more power or specifically more torque at the same motor speed and the larger wheels raise the gearing.
Train Speed Record - Number_Cruncher
>>but what did they do to the "engine"...

Switching the speed limiters off would probably be the change with the biggest effect in allowing the train to produce the required power.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were tyre profile and bogie suspension changes to prevent instability.

There may have been changes to the pantograph suspension and aerodynamics to make sure there was sufficient contact pressure at high speed. The catenary and its supports presents a periodically varying stiffness to the pantograph as it passes beneath, and this can make the contact pressure fall below that required to pass the current.

Number_Cruncher
Train Speed Record - mfarrow
They probably just put a more powerful motor in the engine, or tweaked the software to operate above the normal parameters.

They certainly had to increase the power to the motor as they upped the voltage from 25kV to 31kV in the overheads.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Payroll yr end question - wd 40
as you are a knowledgeable lot...

are there any global tax code uplifts this year end, and if so, can anyone point to an authoritative source ?

the last set of HMRC's notes refer back to a set of notes from last december which don't seem to have any uplifts

cheers

Payroll yr end question - rtj70
Is this what you want:

www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

Personal allowance for 07-08 goes up from £5035 to £5225 according to this.
Payroll yr end question - wd 40
Thanks, RTJ,, but I have that.

What I am looking for is confirmation of global tax code changes - I'm not sure if it's happened for a year or two, but you used to get notification to do something along the lines of increase the taxcode by 10 for everybody on suffix H, decrease by 5 everbody on suffix L, so everybody on 529H would become 529H, 450L would become 445L, etc, etc - indeed, for the current allowances, I would expect 503L to become 522L

Payroll yr end question - JH
wd
"global" tax code changes? Don't put ideas into Gordon's head. World domination. There'd be nowhere to hide.
JH
Payroll yr end question - hxj

I understand that the notification will be going out at the beginning of May with the new codes being used for paydays on or after 17 May - it isn't really a year end question!
DVD soundtracks - bintang
Shouldn't it be possible to play DVDs on a CD player for the sound only? I can't on mine, a Marantz 57 or 67.
DVD soundtracks - Altea Ego
No - Completely different layout of data and type, completely different media.

DVD players usually play audio cd's tho. (because they use multi format drives stolen from the PC industry where mutli format drives are required)

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
DVD soundtracks - rtj70
The simple answer and probably all this post needs is no because as TVM says totally different technologies for the data on a DVD to how CD's represent music.

Ignoring the fact the type of laser needed to "read" a CD is different to that needed for a DVD... another reason this could not work by the way. But this is why a 12cm single layer DVD can store 4.38Gb of data, a dual layer one about 7.92Gb and a 90min CD only holds the equivalent of about 780Mb. The physical way the data is represented on DVD vs CD is very different - the features like pits are far smaller on DVD hence packing in more information.

But a DVD stores everything as data files (a music CD is encoded entirely differently) and the sound and video is all encoded in files referred to as VOBs. To extract/access the sound the "reader" would have to understand the structure of the DVD which is stored in the IFO files.

So basically this will never work.

The other way around of course does work.

DVD soundtracks - Stuartli
>>I can't on mine, a Marantz 57 or 67.>>

See the information in this link under Data Pits and Lasers.

www.imation.com/products/dvd_media/differences.html

DVD-ROM/RW drives and DVD players have two lasers, one for CD and the other for DVD.

You can "rip" audio from a DVD using software such as:

www.aoamedia.com/audioextractor.htm

www.jodix.com/ (both freeware).

any legal buffs able to help - wotspur
sorry to get serious but any legal buffs able to help, please??

From JAN to May 06, I was working for a large national company, in a specialised home improvement product, that I had to quote 12-16 weeks, before commencement of work, so this I put on all orders.
Due to turmoil within the company I seeked pastures new, having been paid on all the contracts, once the company had carried out their survey, prior to planning aplications.

So by now, April07, all the contracts I signed up should have been installed.

so I applied to have all the finance sales amounts, outstanding paid to myself, only to be told that I actually owe the company in excess of 3k, because several of the contracts weren't carried out, some because of planning problems, but others because they couldn't complete within the time scale and the customers felt let down and pulled out.

Now I appreciate those that didn't pass planning I shouldn't have been paid on, but I don't see why I should loose out on all the others, because of internal cock ups, and they not being able to stick to contracts timescale.

Have I a chance of challenging this, getting paid for my time and finacne deals.

Finally,during that time I was very successful, and with my other job from June I earnt enough to register for VAT, I've been informed that I could claim for upto 3 years, but it's really only from that Jan 06, till now where it would be worthwhile - can they refuse to pay any claim against them once my registration reference comes through, and if not how can I force them to pay - cheers Richard.
any legal buffs able to help - hxj

Too confusing I'm afraid - I assume you "self-employed" although it doesn't really sound like it. The VAT issue is irrelevant to the recovery from your "employer"

It depends upon your contracts and what they say.

I think that you need proper legal advice - it will cost you though
any legal buffs able to help - pmh
I am afraid that if your attempt to get paid was presented in such a convoluted manner as your posting most people will just disregard the request.

--

pmh (was peter)

any legal buffs able to help - Pugugly {P}
You need advice face to face, start with your CAB they have briefs who work for the love of it - you'll need a specialist in employment law. I think I understand what yu're getting at.
Egg to chicken - how long? - Armitage Shanks {p}
During a slack moment at work yesterday I was discussing food with a colleague ie cost of organic food etc. He told me that the supermarket chickens that we buy and eat (Medium = 2Kg) go from chick to maturity ie ready to eat in 12 days. I know they are pumped full of steroids and hormones but is this possible? Comment please
Egg to chicken - how long? - PhilW
"Broiler chickens are slaughtered after just six or seven weeks (a chicken's natural lifespan is around seven years). Some chickens are slaughtered after four weeks. These are marketed as pouissons or spring chickens. A few are kept beyond the seven weeks to be sold as the larger roasting chickens."

From
www.vegsoc.org/info/broiler.html
--
Phil
Egg to chicken - how long? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks Philw! That puts things staright!
Egg to chicken - how long? - drbe
However, The Vegetarian Society could, quite fairly, be accused of not beibg totally unbiased!