How to transfer a reg plate ? - CliveS
I intend to Part-Ex my Merc for another used Merc at a Merc dealer. I want to transfer my reg plate to the new car. If I use a DVLA V317 `Transfer` form, I understand that I need to take/post the vehicle reg documents for both cars to the DVLA - but how can I do that as I wont be in the position of owning both cars at the same time ? Would I therefore have to take a different approach and `retain` the plate, then transfer to the new car after Ive taken ownership ? Any advice from anyone having done the same thing would be appreciated !

How to transfer a reg plate ? - graham woods
Hi there, I would have thought that the garage could sort it for you if they are a main dealer, if not, the safest way is to put it on retention BEFORE you hand the car over with the new number plates that d.v.l.a. will allocate to it. Then when you have your new car in your name you can then contact d.v.l.a for your private plate to go on your new car. Hope this helps. I have found in the past this is the safest way to do it, although it does cost a bit more money. Cheers, Graham.
How to transfer a reg plate ? - paulb {P}
I second what Graham says - the retention route is slightly more expensive (I think £105 as opposed to £80) but is in my view actually less faff in the long term. On the occasions when I or members of my family have tried to register a new car with a transferred reg number it has delayed the picking up of the new car by at least a week and nearer 3 in some instances.
How to transfer a reg plate ? - BB
By far the easiest method is to instruct the dealer to do it for you. They do this kind of thing on a daily basis and usually do not charge to do this (you will have to pay the DVLA fee though.)

Otherwise, yes, put it on retention (£105 I think) then queue up at your local DVLA office to get it asigned to your vehicle. Beware that this could be delayed due to your V5 being changed. There is a form that you can use to transfer before your new V5 has been issued, but if the new V5 has been sent out then you will have to wait until it arrives.

DVLA queues are usually comparable to Alton Towers queues. Take a few sandwiches and a sleeping bag.
How to transfer a reg plate ? - Mad Maxy
Retention, then transfer, OR get the dealer to do it (decent dealers do it all the time). As has been said above. I've done both. Each has worked OK.
How to transfer a reg plate ? - Sunny22
I do this for a living with Porsche so there is two ways. The dealer will do a number swap which the dvla say can take upto 7 working days, so get the paper work into the dealer and get them to get the ball rolling. If you need the car before that time, take the car on its normal number and once the swap has been sactioned the dealer should ring you telling you to come and get your plates fitted and collect your new tax disc...

Retention wise will take even longer for you to get your number on your car, as you have to wait for the dvla to issue your certificate which cna take upto 4 weeks, and also you will have to wait for your new log book which the dealer should send off and then will come back to you in your name...

Hope this helps...