£8k family hack - your advice welcome - DP
We have decided the Mondeo is going - it's been a damn good car, but the list of things needing doing are mounting up, and it's still (just) tidy enough, and the faults subtle enough that someone will probably give us a grand or so for it. So, we're off this weekend to have a look at candidates for replacement. At this stage we'll probably head to a car supermarket to see all the cars side by side and have a bit of a poke and a prod. to see what we like and don't like.

We know we want:

An MPV type car (have one toddler and one baby, and the extra height makes it so much easier to load them into car seats)
A reasonable sized boot (to fit in double pram and sometimes a border collie)
Decent rear legroom - I'm 6ft 2 and drive with the seat fully rearward.
A diesel engine
Ideally no more than 70k ish on the clock (we'll keep it for a few years)
Nothing with inherently expensive "known" problems.

Budget £8k

Liking the look so far of:

Renault Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi 120 - Budget seems realistic for an 04 plate with 70k or so on the clock. 7 seats not a must, but we like the huge boot it gives when 3rd seat row folded. Love the styling and the interior, and 5 star NCAP score is also reassuring. However, mildly concerned with rumours of horror stories of expensive Renault dCi engine failures, and I have never seen another car with so many electronics inside. Not so reassuring on a French car. As a product, it's our favourite of the list, but not prepared to buy something that's going to be no end of grief. What's the view?

Toyota Corolla Verso 2.0 D4D - loads of 50-60k previous shape models on 03/53 within budget. Don't know much about them, but the styling is reasonable, the interior looks like it's well screwed together, and despite some contradictions, I tend to trust Japanese cars to be reliable on the whole.

VW Touran 2.0 TDI - I don't care for the styling, but that's not a priority. If we bend our mileage criteria a little, these come in on budget. I like and trust the PD engine. Know very little about the car itself though. Seem to recall TVM being less than complementary about reliability, but any advice welcome.

Ford C-Max 2.0 TDCi - Budget will get a well specced 04 example with 60k or so on it. Will probably the best to drive, but what about boot space and reliability? I will also have to overcome SWMBO's initial view that "I don't want another Ford!", but if it's the best choice, it's the best choice.

Can anyone recommend anything else worth looking at, or have any comments or experiences on anything selected so far? I really want to like the Renault, but like I said, what will it be like with 100k on the clock?

Cheers as always
DP
£8k family hack - your advice welcome - Xileno {P}
Spend £5K on a nice petrol engined Zafira. It will do all the things the above cars will but will be nice and cheap to repair should something go wrong. No expensive fuel system, no dual ripoff mass flywheels etc.
£8k family hack - your advice welcome - TheOilBurner
I wouldn't bother with the old Zafira if safety is important to you. 3* NCAP is hardly reassuring.

I sympathise with your worries for the Renault dCI units though.

Faced with a very similar choice for the same reasons, we're torn between the latest Zafira and the latest Grand Scenic. There's lots to like about both cars, but the Renault is much better equipped, pound for pound. I love the toys and gimmicks, so the Renault is right up there at the minute. We're looking at a 1.8 petrol for the Zafira or the 2.0 petrol for the Scenic.

OTOH, I'd be much less worried about buying a Vauxhall, although saying that, our other Vauxhall (Vectra 1.9 CDTI) is currently in the dealers having £1100 worth of warranty work done at the minute... Hence why diesels are not figuring on our list right now.
£8k family hack - your advice welcome - Round The Bend
Can't comment on the others but we have a Grand Scenic (1.6 petrol) which we've had from new for 18 months. There have been a couple of recalls and the rear door lock needed attention but other than that, so far so good. SWMBO loves driving it and kids like riding it. Bear in mind that the excellent 2 rear pop up seats are strictly for the under tens.

Regarding long range 100k mileage, can only comment that we took our old 1998 Scenic and 1995 Laguna from new to 80k without any problems. For your budget, would have thought you could get a lower mileage example from a main dealer which should come with balance of warranty (& extendable?) for peace of mind.

_______
IanS
£8k family hack - your advice welcome - SpamCan61 {P}
I tend to agree, I wonder what annual milage DP does? Or is the diesel the first choice for reasons other than economy?
Thanks for the replies all.

The Mondeo has done 22k in the last year - this will probably do about the same. I seem to recall it being roughly a grand a year saving assuming a 15mpg difference, and taking into account a 3p premium for diesel at the pumps. This doesn't take into account any extra service costs on the diesel though.

I also find the power delivery of a diesel to be near perfect for general A to B driving (although will always prefer petrol for performance cars).

I like the Zafira as a car, but I had a 2004 2.0 DTI as a loan car for a week and found it horribly noisy. If the CDTi engines were available within budget, it would be a serious contender.

Although it has got me thinking whether we would get away with a petrol engine......

Cheers
DP

£8k family hack - your advice welcome - johnsnc
Just had a 2006 Grand Scenic as a hire car while SWMBO's Zafira was away being repaired . Just a couple of comments. I'm 6' 4" and couldn't get a decent driving position in the Grand Scenic . With the seat far enough back the steering wheel was miles away and I could barely reach it. May not be such an issue for you .
All the seats in the Renault were comfy to sit on but legroom is a problem. The rearmost seats are severly restricted. The Zafira has much more room. esp if you are going to use it for 6/7 people.
The Renault we were given was a 1.6 petrol. It couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.
£8k family hack - your advice welcome - TheOilBurner
DP: both me and Mrs Oilburner do about 20k per annum in our cars, and yet we are returning to petrol engines after diesels.

Yes diesels, common rail especially, are nice to drive (the 1.9 CDTI is very good), but IMO they *do* deserve the reputation of going wrong often. Annoying in warranty, very expensive if you intend to keep for many years.

I stress again, I own a car with the GM-Fiat lump and it's currently off road awaiting parts for an expensive repair. I'm having to wait a long time because the parts are on back-order (i.e. they're all going wrong at once...), check out sites like www-vectra-c.com and you'll see lots of cars suffering various failures. The swirl valve/inlet manifold (the problem mine has) being almost universal.

Once these cars get out of warranty, it's going to get messy, just ask Renault about their dCIs!

Once extra purchase cost and potential repairs are taken into account, I don't really believe there's much of a saving to be made with diesel.
Only real advantage with cars like this, is that there will be a big choice of diesels.

At least give the petrols a go. :)
£8k family hack - your advice welcome - Xileno {P}
I am going back to petrol. Although my Renault dCi has been perfect, it's the thought of what *might* go wrong and the associated cost that worries me. I will however buy another Renault but a petrol one when I can decide which spec to get. Doing only 10K a year diesel doesn't really make sense.

I shall leave diesel to high mileage drivers as I waft along in my 225 Turbo :-)
£8k family hack - your advice welcome - BobL
One thing to bear in mind about the Scenic. Believe cambelt needs changing at 70k. Presently only can be done main dealers as the there is a special tool that locks the engine and renault will not release details to tool suppliers about specifications. Dealer will charge around £500 for this job. I have a 54 plate 1.9dci dynamique from new. Cost £13k new. Not impressed with quality of fittings and been back to dealers obout five times for warranty work. Dealer service is variable. Currently has under 30k on the clock. The engine is the best bit about this car so far .......
£8k family hack - your advice welcome - Avant
I think out of that lot I'd go for the Verso. The 2.0 diesel is livelier, not to mention more economical, than the 1.8 petrol and the one I tried on a long test droive wasn't excessively noisy. If you need mroe room, there was an Avensis Verso made for a time - but they're fairly rare.
Thanks for all the replies.

After consideration, we want to stick with diesel for the driving characteristics and the fuel economy, not to mention the fact it will be easier to sell on again. Reliability is a gamble, but Warranty Direct will cover, for example, a 60,000 mile Renault Grand Scenic dCi with full cover on the turbo, complete cr fuel system and even timing belt failure if it's within the prescribed change schedule for £300 pa (against a £1000 pa fuel saving, better driving characteristics (IMO) and better residual values). I don't want a diesel Zafira, so that's out. A shame as it's a nice car in a lot of respects.

I am really keen on the Verso from what I've seen of it. We'll go and have a look at one at the weekend. We've got a test drive booked in a 2005 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi 120 this afternoon at the local Renault dealer. Not that I'll buy it from there (or until we've looked at the others), but I don't feel guilty about wasting a main dealer's time fitting car seats, playing with seat configs, and putting stuff in the boot, whereas I would if it were a private sale.

Have eliminated the Touran - bumped into a mate of SWMBO's dad's last night who is a VW dealer tech and said they have a whole host of things go wrong with them and far too many QC issues. Considered against the inflated screen prices, it's been eliminated without further consideration.

So, Scenic, Verso and C-MAX will be poked and prodded over the coming days, starting with the Scenic this afternoon. Will keep you informed.

Cheers for all your help
DP
£8k family hack - your advice welcome - y2k+4
For me it would C-Max or Verso. Touran was essentially the prototype for the Golf, testing out the new engines and such so the Golf wouldn't suffer problems it did with the Mk4 - you can see this by the vastly different reviews given by owners of the two, essentially sister models. The Scenic would be pre-facelift and as such I'd have difficulty trusting the Renault electrics - especially the one's on that age of Megane/Scenic. That said, C-Max hasn't been that reliable either - but I would sooner pick it over the Scenic. Actually, as the all-rounder the Verso is probably the best option.
OK just got back from the Renault dealership. The 1.9 dCi demonstrator had been clumped by a truck overnight and was out of action, but we did have a good poke/prod around, and a decent drive of a 1.6 petrol Dynamique model

Apart from being quite possibly the slowest car I have ever driven (made the Mondeo feel like a sports car), I was really very impressed. Just a very smooth, refined, comfortable drive. Build felt solid (car had done 15k and was as new), interior space is cavernous, and the seats and driving position were superb. Good visibility for a big car, doesn't seem to roll too much in the corners, and loads of lovely clever little detail touches such as the underfloor (and underseat) cubby holes, integral rear sunblinds, and the moveable rear seats that allow you to adjust rear leg room to boot space. The whole thing also reeks of design. As SWMBO said, "it's just so French, and I mean that as a complement".

Shame the demo car had an electric window fault.

Had a quick chat on the figures. The petrol model we tried (off the forecourt) is priced about a grand over the odds which is par for the course for a main dealer, but they're offering a silly money as P/X on the Mondeo (£2k for a 2000 Mondeo 1.8TD mk2 in no better than average condition with an intermittent PAS fault, a clonking CV joint, a clutch definitely nearing the end of its time on this mortal coil, and 135k on the clock - if I got a grand for it privately I would be happy). Good warranty - 6 months standard, with extension to a full year for just £125, and it covers all the cr injection parts, and the turbo / intercooler.

We're getting the diesel delivered to the house on Saturday for us to try. No obligation or pressure whatsoever.

Food for thought so far. Very impressed by the dealer's efforts. They're really trying to win our business, which many other dealers could do with taking notes about.

Cheers
DP
£8k family hack - your advice welcome - mlj
See my thread on buying a berlingo. We went to see a Scenic and a Grand Scenic. The Citroen has them both beat. Bigger boot by a huge margin, diesel 1.6 HDI is fine, spec is good and it costs thousands less.
mlj - I really like the Berlingo, and know someone who has one and is well chuffed with it. Sadly, SWMBO doesn't like the shape, and will not compromise on it.

We're going to find a Verso to have a play with at the weekend and see how they compare. Might have a sneak look at a C-MAX as well.

Cheers
DP
£8k family hack - your advice welcome - PeterRed
My wife's got a 2004 Zafira 2.0 DTI. While it's rougher than my old 406 HDI when cold, it isn't that bad once warm. In fact, I much prefer driving it to my petrol turbo Passat. Maybe your loan car was a bad one (or my hearing's not what it was........).

We too were tempted by the Scenic - mainly by the snazzy interior - but reliability concerns stopped us from going ahead.
OK, we've decided on the Grand Scenic in 1.9dCi guise, either in Dynamique or Privilege trim (depending on what we can find).

The C-Max was a grin a minute to drive (and went like stink in 2.0 TDCi trim), and the Verso better built, but neither could match the Renault's, comfort, engine refinement ,equipment and boot space. The Renault is also the most practical, best equipped and by a country mile (in our opinion) the best looking inside and out.

Salesman is hopefully finding us a car this week. Likely to be a 54/05 with around 30k on the clock and a 12 month comprehensive warranty chucked in.

Cheers
DP
£8k family hack - your advice welcome - Jase
Hello DP,

Don't rule out the C-Max if you like driving!

We have a C-Max 2.0TDCi Ghia (and a baby daughter). C-Max replaced a Leon Cupra, which was great, but to be fair the C-Max is stunning for what is supposed to be a diesel bus. Drives really well, goes like a rocket and in Ghia trim is nicely appointed with cruise, millions of parking sensors, auto wipers, lights, dimming mirrors etc..basically drives itself. Also, it's easily the most comfortable car we've owned (ours has leather seats btw) and very easy to get both us and baby in and out of. Not managed to match the official mpg figures but overall it's averaging about 40mpg and on a motorway run at illegal speeds does 45mpg. I've had over 50mpg if you keep to the motorway limit (never got near official MPG in any of my cars - they must have all been faulty!). Lots of space, decent boot, gangster windows with built in blinds blah de blah all good for baby. Comically good on motorways. Build quality OK although some cheapo plastics and Ghia has electronic parking brake to go wrong one day. Early 2.0TDCi's suffered EGR problems, rear wash wipe motor recall and needed several software patches to cure poor MPG but later ones seem OK. Plenty around and pretty cheap now. Note this is not the same engine as in the Mondeo TDCi.

Reckon you'd enjoy driving this more than the Renault IMHO.

Good luck with your choice tho' anyway.