Corsa 1.4 petrol engine cutting out - decoyotis
I have a Corsa 1.4 with a C14NZ (single point injection) petrol engine. Recently, I've had major idling and restarting problems. Usually, it starts first time with no difficulty, but it has a tendency to cut out or stall, and then is difficult if not impossible to restart. If I use the accelerator to prevent cut outs, the revs seem to stay high for far longer than necessary. The idling speed works erratically a lot of the time and the cut outs and difficulty restarting can happen regardless of whether the engine is hot or cold.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I used to have problems starting the car in damp weather, but I siliconed the leads and that seemed to solve it. Could this have affected the idle speed in some way?
Corsa 1.4 petrol engine cutting out - bell boy
change the carb (single point injection system) its a worn out bro
Corsa 1.4 petrol engine cutting out - Dynamic Dave
Sounds like the idle speed control valve could do with a clean out (if one is fitted to this engine?)
Corsa 1.4 petrol engine cutting out - injection doc
A live data diagnostic check is the best solution, I suspect the coolant sensor may have failed making it run rich when warm & keeping the idle speed up thinking the engine is cold and making hot starting difficult as it is overfuelling. The sensor is the blue one & cost about £20. The idle valves do get gumed up & well worth removing & cleaning. The throttle body's do wear arond the spindle & I have had several that have suffered a lot of air leaks where the SPI housing joins the manifold
Regards
Corsa 1.4 petrol engine cutting out - decoyotis
Thanks for the replies. The coolant sensor was changed recently. I can't find anything in my Haynes manual for the 1.4i engine about an idle valve; but there's plenty about an idle speed control motor. Are these one and the same thing? The manual explains how to change the idle speed control motor but doesn't suggest it can be cleaned. It sounds like a delicate piece of kit. It fits onto the outside of the carb/injection unit.
Corsa 1.4 petrol engine cutting out - bell boy
see my original post bro
best answer you will get im afraid (£25 at a breaker? )
dont bother the cleaning approach, it dont work bro
Fixed - for the moment - decoyotis
Well, touch wood, I solved the problem with ... a can of carb cleaner from Halfords!

I took off the air filter housing and squirted a dozen or so short bursts of cleaner into the intake while the engine was running.

I also squirted some WD40 on the accelerator linkage.

Hey presto, all the problems are solved.

I can't begin to understand why, but I'm not complaining.