Peugeot 306 Gear Lever Wobbles - cfcrules
I recently bought my first car, a Peugeot 306 1994 XL 1.6, and the gear lever and linkage wobbles, both in neutral and in gear, and even when I'm driving the car. This has me worried, and was wondering if anyone knows of anyway that I can stop this, or what is wrong.

Thanks
Peugeot 306 Gear Lever Wobbles - dieselhead
First grasp the gear lever and feel for any up and down play..if there is the bush at the base of the gear lever is worn. There is i believe a quadrant bolted to the subframe on one end of which is a nylon ball that becomes worn and makes the change sloppy...also check the 2 balljoint linkages onto the box, quite cheap to replace.
Peugeot 306 Gear Lever Wobbles - peugeotman0
Another possible place to check on this engine/gearbox combination is the two little nylon bushes at the end of the main gearchange rod. These are easily checked if you remove the huge air filter housing first. There is a small (10 or 11mm) through bolt, but tightening it won't help if the bushes are kaputt. I've had this problem on two 306 1.6's; the parts are really cheap and it really improves the feel of the gear selection.