Smeary Screens - Tim Hirst
The windscreen of my Golf goes very "smeary" when it gets wet. It seams to be covered with lots of small does of "stuff".

Any suggestions on the best method to clean the screen plus what's the best additive for summer screen wash?

Thanks for any help.
Re: Smeary Screens - Mike Humpherson
If you have a dishwasher, the best way of getting wax and grease off the screen is to use a spoonful of dishwasher powder dissolved in a cupful of very hot water (from the kettle).

Use this on some kitchen towel to scrub the screen, leave it on the screen for half an hour or so, then rinse off thoroughly with a hose or watering can. I am
careful not to get any on the paintwork, as I suspect it would damage the paint.

Also, avoid getting too much of it on your skin or clothes, and especially avoid
splashing it in your eyes of course.

This method is the only way I have yet found of removing the grease that builds up on the screen on a long motorway run. (I think it may be unburnt diesel from truck exhausts, anybody else know what it is?)

Mike Humpherson
Re: Smeary Screens - Darcy Kitchin
Many HGVs & coaches have automatic lubrication systems which force grease through a network of tubes to e.g. spring articulation points. Like Queen Victoria's bathing habits, the joints get a dose of grease at a given time whether they need it or not. The surplus falls off onto the road or your windscreen. I use Decosol washer fluid.
Re: Smeary Screens - Brian Hosker
This one drove me mad for months. The wipers, the arms, and the swivel connections were checked out. Some renewed. Then all the fluids I could think of ( not dish washer powder). Numerous screen wash solutions. toothpaste, brasso and old newspaper. Halfords silicone remover. In desperation I went to the windscreen people who do my repairs and he sold me 'Jewlers Rouge'. A small portion for £4 as he buys in bulk. Two sore arms later success. It is messy stuff though.
I am convinced this is silicone both from some screen wash or silicone washing off the polished roof
Use Methylated Spirits...or - Richard Loweth
take a trip to your local Kentucky Fried Chicken and "steal" some of their handwipes that come in small sealed sachets. Either do the trick. For "meths" a couple of drops on a clean rage is all it takes.
Re: Smeary Screens - Tony Cooper
We had a problem with a Honda Accord windscreen which had strange blobs, like looking through polarised sunglasses, on it.

The local Honda dealer looked at and immediately diagnosed the washer liquid bottle, being of a plastic construction, causing a problem. A hefty dose of vinegar mixed with screen washer fluid in it neutralised it and it was fine thereafter. Smelt a bit until the vinegar had gone but a nice reminder of forbidden chips!
Re: Smeary Screens - Ashley
In work i use a substance called AL 11, or isopropanol is it's chemical name. It's used to clean rubber seals etc because it doesn't attack rubber. It can also be used as windscreen wash but it is ten times stronger than the stuff you can buy in the shops. It evaporates like hell but it works a treat. If you come across it buy some, you'll be amazed at its cleaning powers.

Regards,

Ash.
Re: Smeary Screens - John Kenyon
Isopropanol, Iso-propyl-alcohol, IPA (not india pale ale!) are all the same thing and can usually be purchased from a dispensing chemist in 500ml bottles.

Don't be surprised if you are asked "what do you want it for" - just tell 'em!

Its also good for cleaning the heads and rollers on cassette players - a good way of stopping them chewing tapes.

/John
Re: Smeary Screens - Kevin Alder
You can use stronger and stronger windscreen cleaners until finally your wiper blades get cleaned as well - oily wiper blades make oily windscreens!
Re: Smeary Screens - Martin
Many years ago in a previous life as a motor parts retailer we came across a Finnish or Swedish screenwash with the unfortunate brand name of "Super Piss".

This worked a treat but for some reason never retailed very well in the UK. I think Saab or Volvo used to sell it as own label product.

Martin
Re: Smeary Screens - Richard
Avoid using car washes with wax. This usually contains silicone which cannot be removed by screenwash. Try using glass polish made by various firms like Autoglym or Turtle Wax. This works in a similar way to T-Cut. (DON'T USE T-CUT !) You will also need plenty of elbow grease.
When you wash your car, clean the screen with neat screenwash concentrate and rinse off with water. This will remove "normal " traffic film.
Solvents only spread the stuff about more evenly.
Re: Smeary Screens - Gwyn Parry
Fairy liquid - use only the real thing. Solution in water and wiped on and polished off. Don't use any other make though and then when dry use Newsprint to degrease. Don't use any coloured newsprint, black and white only !Cheap and very effective.
Re: Smeary Screens - Rain X - Robin Hall
On a slightly different subject I have been using the Rain X rain repellant product for a year now and have found it excellent. I have applied it to the side windows, mirrors, rear screen and windscreen on both of our cars and it does an excellent job of keeping the windows clear of rain and clean. In the 12 months since first application I have only had to re apply to my car after 9 months as I do a lot of motorway miles. It has to be applied to completely clean glass so it won't solve the initial problem on this thread but I'm sure it would help keep the problem at bay. I'm not normally a big fan of these sort of products but as it came free with a pair of tyres I thought I'd try it - I'll certainly shell out of my own pocket for a new bottle when it finally runs out.
Re: Smeary Screens - Rain X - Marcus
Maybe the wiper blades are worn or damaged ?

I had this problem which iI suspected to be grease on the screen and tried meths, etc.

As I had replaced the blades last November thought It must be something else, But when my car was in for servicing, I mentioned the problem when I collected it, the guy in the garage told me thay had replaced them, which was surprising to me as they weren't "old".

I was suspicious at first. Anyway the reason they were knackered is:In cold icy weather we ofter switch our wipers on and spray the screen with de icer and wait for it to clear, what happens is that the ice on the screen cuts and damages the blades edge as it moves over the screen.

Now I have new blades there is no longer a problem !

Ideally you need to replace your blades after the winter.
Re: Smeary Screens - Guy L
Go 4 Wynns C-Thru anti-smear and also their C-Thru glass cleaner - will cut thru my Mothers Sunday Roast (sorry Mum) - and NO, I don't work 4 Wynns.
Re: Smeary Screens - simon saxton

I too have found Rain X to be an excellent product both on W/screen & side windows,enhancing visibility in rain. It also makes it easier to remove dead/squashed insects on the screen in summer months.
Simon
Re: Smeary Screens - simon saxton

I too have found Rain X to be an excellent product both on W/screen & side windows,enhancing visibility in rain. It also makes it easier to remove dead/squashed insects on the screen in summer months.
Simon