Kia Pride - Screeching when accelerating - Welliesorter
A friend has an ancient but generally serviceable Kia Pride, the one that was originally badged as a Mazda 121. Its only apparent fault is that it makes a screeching sound when accelerating. However, it only does this when the lights are on.

If, as he suspects, it's caused by a faulty fan belt, why would the screech not occur with the lights off? Presumably the alternator is working harder, but why would this cause the noise?

I'll stop before I display any more technical ignorance but any ideas would be gratefully received.

I'm guessing that the reason may be glaringly obvious to anyone with any mechanical knowledge at all (ie not me or the car's owner).
Screeching when accelerating - Lud
When the alternator is 'working harder' it takes more power to turn it. So if the drive belt is a little bit slack or worn the difference may just be enough to make it slip and squeal.

Usually a simple matter to adjust. While doing so, it's worth spinning the alternator pulley with no load to make sure the bearings are all right. If the belt seems very frayed or if the sides seem very shiny and with visible cracks, get a new one.
Screeching when accelerating - Welliesorter
Thanks for that extremely prompt reply, which I'll pass on.
Kia Pride - Screeching when accelerating - Robin the Technician
Easy test to see if its the alternator belt. Start the vehicle up and put the heated rear window on and the lights. This will put the alternator under a reasonable amount of load. Rev the vehicle up with the bonnet open and using a suitable container (possibly a watering can) pour water onto the belt whilst its screeching. If it goes off then the belt is slipping and either needs tightening or replacing. diagnosis guaranteed!!!

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Kia Pride - Screeching when accelerating - Welliesorter
Thanks Robin.
Kia Pride - Screeching when accelerating - Rattle
Is it not dangerious to poor water in this area?
Kia Pride - Screeching when accelerating - Ford Dagenham
Hello

Water gets the belt when you go through fords (not floods) or large puddles (this is dependant on how fast you drive through them)
--
(iam not a mechanic)
Martin Winters
Kia Pride - Screeching when accelerating - milkyjoe
Easy test to see if its the alternator belt. Start the
vehicle up and put the heated rear window on and the
lights. This will put the alternator under a reasonable amount of
load. Rev the vehicle up with the bonnet open and using
a suitable container (possibly a watering can) pour water onto the
belt whilst its screeching. If it goes off then the belt
is slipping and either needs tightening or replacing. diagnosis guaranteed!!!

wouldnt pouring water near the alternator whilst its spinning be a bit risky?