Vectra C Diesel Engines - brianrh
I am thinking of buying a Vectra and and it looks as though my budget will mean it will be a 2 litre or perhaps the newer 1.9 litre diesel engine car. I think I've read that the 2 litre engine is a chain driven camshaft while the 1.9 is cam belt that needs to be replaced at 4yr / 80000 miles.

Can any of you good people out there tell me from a reliability, maintaining & economy point of view which would be the better engine to go for. Is newer always better?

Is the 2 litre the Isuzu engine fitted to the earlier Vectras?

Thanks.
Vectra C Diesel Engines - TheOilBurner
The old 1.7 was the Isuzu unit, the 2.0 DTI and 2.2 DTI are GM units. The newer 1.9 CDTI is a joint GM-Fiat unit and it's brilliant.

Reliability wise, the 1.9 appears more reliable, although not perfect. the old 2.0/2.2 are chain cam, but are very noisy and slow.

Have a look on www.vectra-c.com for more info.

The 1.9 CDTI 150 is one of the best diesel engines on sale and suits the Vectra very well. Great performance and 45mpg upwards is easy to get with a light foot.

I've averaged 50.7 mpg over 21,000 miles in mine.
Vectra C Diesel Engines - Brian Tryzers
I've driven this engine in a Saab 9-5 estate, which is a hefty beast for a 1.9 engine but it copes very well - certainly better than the nasty, rattly old 2.2.
Vectra C Diesel Engines - barchettaman
I´d also recommend a browse on www.vectra-c.com, they´re a friendly and knowledgeable bunch over there.
Vectra C Diesel Engines - Dynamic Dave
while the 1.9 is cam belt that needs to be replaced at 4yr / 80000 miles.

Official recommendation is:

Z19DT/DTH is 10 yrs, or 100,000 miles (2006 onwards)

Z19DT (04MY) 6 yrs, or 80,000 miles.
Z19DT (05MY) 10 yrs, or 100,000 miles
Vectra C Diesel Engines - cheddar
As with Ford Zetecs that claim 100k belt life it is better to change earlier than that, a £400 job every 5 years or 60k is only £80 / year, a kinda insurance if you like.

Generally a chain cam engine offers advantages however I concur with the views expressed about the 2.0 / 2.2DTis, the previous 1.7 Izuzu was much more refined and the newer 1.9 is streets ahead though it lacks low donw torque comapared with some competitors.
Vectra C Diesel Engines - prm72
I've got the 2.0 Dti in my 03 Vectra, they're not as rattly as the same engine in the Vectra B, because they have pilot injection which does make them a bit quieter, they are however rattly on cold startup but once your rolling they are fine. Mine has 95000 on it now and it has never missed a beat, no belts to change and 52 mpg average 70% motorway, fantastic old lumps and not so many probs as the newer Common rail engines. Wish they still made them but my next diesel will have to be the cdti lump when i change the car.
Vectra C Diesel Engines - TheOilBurner
Not so many problems as common rail engines? Not according to the vectra-c polls, problems with the DTI units (especially the 2.2 version) occur as the highest proportion of faults compared to the number of cars owned. Also, lots of complaints generally about that engine too.

Not that the CDTI is without fault mind, lots can and does go wrong with it.

My CDTI has been perfect, but I wouldn't pretend that everyone has been as lucky as me, same with your DTI. :)