megane juddering - archiep
Hi there, I've just bought a 96 Megane, everything is great except for a couple of things. Firstly, it judders quite a lot while driving, could it be a slipping clutch? Also, the clock doesn't work, not a big problem but I'd just like to know why it's not working, could it be just a fuse?
megane juddering - Collos25
There must be a hundred possible reasons for this from clutch ,gearbox,engine mounts,driveshafts,suspension etc.
megane juddering - DP
Does the judder happen as the clutch bites and drive is taken up, or does it judder when driving along with your foot off the clutch pedal? Does it happen particularly under acceleration, deceleration, braking or when driving along at a constant speed?

With regard to the clock problem, the fuse would seem a logical place to start. Remove the clock unit and ensure the connections at the back are secure. It's also worth disconnecting the multiplug and checking there is power to the clock using a multimeter. If there is power, but no clock display, the clock unit is probably faulty. If there's no power, you have a wiring or fuse problem.

Cheers
DP
Took the car to the garage today and the mechanic says it's an engine problem, he's going to run it through the computer to find the fault on Monday. As for the clock, the fuse is OK so I suppose it's a wiring problem.
Forgot to say, the juddering happens just driving along but just noticed today that when the electrical fault light comes on the juddering stops.
megane juddering - davemar
You didn't fill up with dodgy petrol did you? If so, it might the lambda sensor.

The coil packs on the Megane are notoriously unreliable and can start to get temperamental. They take 5 mins to replace, and cost about £40 each. They can cause sporadic misfiring when they are on their way out. If you let the car misfire for too long it can destroy your catalytic converter as loads of unburnt petrol ends up on it; so best get it looked at ASAP.

Another possibility is the engine speed sensor which is a little magnetic pick up that sits above the flywheel. If that is misbehaving that can produce confusing signals for the ECU.

Thanks. Well I took it into garage today and it is now fixed. From what you say it could well have been the coil, but I'm not sure. The mechanic said it was a pipe that needed replacing and it cost me 40 pounds.