Computer Related Questions - Volume 123 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 124 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 123. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Folder protection - external drive - Peter
I have just purchased an external hard drive to store pictures and similar files. At the moment it is open to all users as a storage medium, with no folder protection per user. It would appear that whilst XP can provide protection for folders located in My Documents on the base PC it cannot do so for external drives. I'm probably wrong, can someone point me in the right direction enabling me to put password protection on my external drive folders to stop prying eyes. Or is there a freeware program out there that can.

Many thanks.
Folder protection - external drive - Stuartli
You require something on these lines:

www.magic2003.net/

www.majorgeeks.com/Cryptainer_LE_d1483.html

www.majorgeeks.com/Security_Toolkit_d4849.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Folder protection - external drive - Peter
Thank you.

Peter
ADSL Modem recommendation - Mike H
I have a wired modem/router that works just fine. however, i'm thinking of going wireless and have found a highly recommended wireless router. however, this means i need to find a separate ADSL modem. can anyone recommend one that is reasonably priced and reliable? i only have a 2mb connection if that's relevant and don't download loads of music, videos etc.
ADSL Modem recommendation - local yokel
The manufacturer of the wireless router almost certainly makes a combined ADSLmodem/Wifi router also. Have a look at their website - it's a much neater way of doing things. However, you could use your existing modem and fixed router with a standalone wifi router, by plugging in an ethernet cable to a port on the existing router, and connecting it to the network in port of a wifi router.
Yes, I did wonder whether that would work. - presumably all routers have a network in rj45 connection? the product in question is a ZyXEL P-336M.
Indeed they all do - if you have a cable connection then you just get an RJ45 ethernet feed, and that's what the router you describe is mainly used for. The ADSL modem + wifi router version of the same is the ZyXEL P-660HW I think.
Zyzel.co.uk says that the P-660 HW ADSL combo comes with a free client adaptor right now, either USB, PC-Card or laptop card.

Prod IDs are:

91-004-508010B P-660HW Wireless Router + USB Client Bundle
91-004-508013B P-660HW Wireless Router + PCI Card Bundle
96-996-000005B P-660HW Wireless Router + Laptop Card Bundle

Yup, and Scan have got some keen pricing at £77.51 including the laptop card - which is the bundle I want :-)
So can I safely order this secure in the knowledge that it will work through my modem/router?
If you order the one I've listed above you won't need the existing modem/router.

Dabscom have the 660 with USB adaptor for £45.23 inc VAT tinyurl.com/yoos47

This is why i specifically want the stand-alone router tinyurl.com/2scxc2 , hence my question.
I'm sorry - I don't understand? There's nothing about that model of stand-alone router that can't be found in a combined ADSL modem and router.
You said " i only have a 2mb connection if that's relevant and don't download loads of music, videos etc." - bear in mind that these 125 Mbit wifi units will be about 50-60 times faster across your wireless LAN than the speed of your broadband connection to the outside world. Unless you are moving humungous files between PCs in your house, you really won't notice the 125 Mbits speed. I have a 54 Mbit speed wifi connection - and that's still 10 times faster than the 4 Mb line speed I get on ADSL. You'll be paying for functionality you will never use.
I was making perhaps an erroneous assumption that the P-336M had particularly good performance, as noted by PCW. If the combined modem/router is as good then it's worhwhile going that route. I'm just confused as to why the cheaper alternative would be better than the proven option, and why thet didn't appear to recommend the combined modem/router (ok, so they might not have tested it). What I don't want is to be in the same position as my sister where the wireless connection was unable to stabilise across 20 ft of space and one wall forcing a wired connection to be made.
ADSL Modem recommendation - carl_a
Personally I'd go for a new ADSL2+ router with wireless included, as when BT get there act together next year your old router might not work. After switching to Sky's ADSL2+, it marvelous and increased speeds from 1Mbps to 6 Mbps
>the wireless connection was unable to stabilise across 20 ft of space and one wall forcing a wired connection to be made

What's the wall made of? Some breeze blocks have a very high slag content and are very effective at blocking the signal. The make of wifi probably is not the issue. In situations like this the best thing is to run a wired phone extension as high as possible, even into the loft, and put the wifi router there.
Just to close this off, I went for a ZyXel wireless access point with a Zyxel PCMCIA card, had them installed & working with 0 minutes (took me 8 monutes to open the shrink wrap!). Thanks for trting to help the other day.
ADSL Modem recommendation - cheddar
Our wireless router is 3 years old and is 802.11b / 11Mbps LAN speed, on an 8Mbps BB service it syncs at around 7000Kbps. My workstation is wired to it though the kids PCs and the laptop are wirless and all four measure around 6600Kbps actual broadband speed and I can dump a reasonable amount of data across the LAN without it taking ages, afterall 11Mbps is around 1.4MBps.

I.e. the advantge of 54Mbps and faster is really only if you have a massive amount of date to mover around a LAN in a corporate environment, it is true to say that the signal should also degrade less over distance though there is a lot of distance and structure between our router and one of the kid's PCs and we still get a very good signal.
Does broadband have an REN? - L'escargot
It's probably a silly question but does having broadband contribute to the total REN of your telephone line, i.e. does it affect the number of telephones you can have? I assume dialup has an REN because it ........ er .......dials.
--
L\'escargot.
Does broadband have an REN? - adverse camber
Not actually checked, but it should make ren irrelevant. The micro-filters have a built in ring circuit that doesnt depend on the ring wire in the phone wiring. As all the phones should have microfilters it dhould avoid the issue.

In fact it can improve the performance of adsl to cut the ring wire at the socket.
Does broadband have an REN? - Altea Ego
REN is a product of the *equipment* you have attached to your phone line (i think its impedence calculated but someone can correct me)

So a modem can have a REN number, and a phone can have REN number, and an ADSL Modem/router can have a REN number,

so you add up the equipment ren numbers plugged into your phone sockets.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Does broadband have an REN? - Stuartli
The Ringer Equivalence Number total of the communications equipment in my home exceeds the presumed REN available by a factor of at least 50 per cent, but never had any problems.

Some info on the subject at:

www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Telecoms/Telephone%...m
wireless network question - borasport20
is there any way of monitoring the functioning of a wireless network - I have a wireless router, with a usb wireless adaptor in the PC and a PCMCIA (or whatever they are called) in the laptop
the laptop link seems to be 100%, but the PC is not, according to SWMBO. I have had the laptop running next to the pc, both fine, I have put the USB adaptor in the laptop and tested it at work and it dropped out once in 6 hours

I'd like to see how often problems where happening at home, and my primitive little mind says that if i installed something like the bbc news ticker that is always on, and some internet monitoring software, I ought to be able to say that it dropped out once, or 5 times, or every ten minutes. Is this viable ? - if so, with what software, or is there soem software to do precisely that ?
I await your answers with trepidation

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
wireless network question - Citroënian {P}
Hi Mike,

Network stumbler could provide some of this functionality, but not the ticker - have a google for it and see what you think!

Lee
-- He\'s a cheeky wind-up scamster and he\'s on the radio....
Two cookies CCleaner can't delete - L'escargot
I've run CCleaner several times recently and there are two cookies that it seemingly can't delete, even though they are designated to be deleted. The cookies are forbes.com and m3.net. Should I be concerned, and if so what should I do to get rid of them?
--
L\'escargot.
Two cookies CCleaner can't delete - Stuartli
forbes.com is listed in Google as a business and financial new website using a capital F; m3.net is stated to now be "a division of Unanimis, a media services company."
Two cookies CCleaner can't delete - local yokel
Have you tried Spybot and Lavasoft's AdAware?
Two cookies CCleaner can't delete - Dalglish
.. cookies are forbes.com and m3.net. Should I be concerned, ..

well i just visited radiotimes website and forbes.com.

raditimes placed a m3.net cookie, and forbes.com placed one of its own.
latest version of ccleaner (v1.38.485) got rid of both.

should you be concerned? if the answer at www.forbes.com/fdc/privacy.html bothers you, then yes:
"Forbes.com Web servers automatically collect information about a site user's IP address, browser type and the URL that you just came from (whether this URL is on the website or not) and which URL you next go to (whether this URL is on the website or not) by reading this information from the user's browser (information provided by every user's browser). This information is collected in a database and used--in an aggregated, anonymous manner--in our internal analysis of traffic patterns within our website. This information is automatically logged by most website. Forbes.com also uses a third party to collect information, including through the use of web beacons. "

m3.net owners www.unanimis.co.uk/footer/privacy-policy.html say:
"To make advertising more relevant to users of the Internet, Unanimis uses a common Internet technology called "cookies." Cookies are small and harmless packets of information that are placed on people's computers when the computer browser views one of our client's advertisements. A cookie is a bit like a sign saying, "This computer browser saw an ad". It tells us the computer's browser has at some point viewed one of our client's advertisements. A cookie has no information in it that could identify you as an individual, such as your name, address, phone number, email address. It's a random and anonymous number that we assign to that Internet browser on that computer just to tell us we've seen this browser at a site where one of our clients advertises. We assign a cookie to every user who visits a website where a Unanimis banner advertisement is displayed and where our web beacons (see discussion below) are placed. Many websites use cookies to help tailor web pages to the user's unique needs and interests, based on either a user's past actions when visiting a website, or based on ways a user has chosen to customize the website. Unanimis uses cookies solely to track advertising effectiveness and to select the best ads to serve. One example of this is measuring how often an anonymous user sees an ad; among other things this helps us ensure that the user is not shown the same ad over and over again. "

you amy like to compare this with honestjohn's privacy policy:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm

Two cookies CCleaner can't delete - Stuartli
The vast majority of cookies are fairly harmless - you can set Internet Explorer and Firefox to delete them on closing down if you prefer.

You should also define your cookies policy in these browsers.
Thanks - Xileno {P}
I had problems in this thread:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=49...1

and wanted to say thanks to those who helped: JH, billy25, adverse camber, Dalglish & fossyant

Thanks - billy25
Thanks for the thought Xileno, hope you got it workin in the end.
Billy.
blackberry synching via bluetooth - Nsar
My job means I'm now up and down to London on the train all the time. I'd like to be able to bluetooth emails that come in on the journey onto my laptop so I can work on attachments.

Our IT desk looked blankly at me but it seems such an obvious thing to do that I can't believe it's not possible.

Any clues?
blackberry synching via bluetooth - cheddar
I am sure it is possible, I dont know the Blackberry well enough though. However a 3G card in the laptop would be better particularly if your IT Desk will provide it.
blackberry synching via bluetooth - Nsar
3g reception on the train between Manchester and London effectively non-existent - believe me, I've tried!
Digital camera memory compatability - tyro
I don't know a thing about digital camera memory. I gather that the amount of memory that is supplied with cameras is minimal, and hence one ought to purchase some additional memory - but I don't know what is compatible.

I'm wondering if this would work in a Canon Powershot A620 - tinyurl.com/3a9tju
Digital camera memory compatability - PhilW
Probably, A620 takes SD cards but 2 gb one will probably store hundreds of photos (400? 500 - maybe even more) I use a 512 mb card in my Fuji 5600 and it will store over 200 photos - but I never take that many before downloading to my computer. You may be better off with a couple of 512mb (£4.99 each from same place) cards (or even 256mbs) rather than one huge one.
--
Phil
PS
This table shows how many photos can be stored on each size of card.
www.card-media.co.uk/memory+info.htm?page=sd
--
Phil
Digital camera memory compatability - tyro
Thanks, Phil.
Digital camera memory compatability - Stuartli
The cheapest outlet to buy virtually any form of SD or any other memory cards, CD or DVD media or whatever is 7DayShop.

See:

www.7dayshop.com
Blimey - you are right - 1 gb cards for a fiver or less -added to favourites.
Thanks for link
--
Phil
Digital amnesia risk ! - cheddar
Two points:

Dont buy memory because it is cheap, it can result in digital amnesia, you can get a 1GB Lexar Pro SD or CF card for under £20 now.

A 5 megapixel dig cam will store nearly 400 HQ images on a 1GB card better to have say two 1GB than one 2GB in the event that a card does go wrong or get lost you would lose less memories.
Digital amnesia risk ! - PhilW
"in the event that a card does go wrong or get lost you would lose less memories."
Cheddar,
I agree. That's why I mentioned it might be better to go for a couple of smaller cards but on your first point, would you sy hat "Dane elec" and "Kingston" and "Sandisk Ultra" (all offering 1gb cards for less than a tenner) are goo, reliable brands?
--
Phil
Digital amnesia risk ! - PhilW
Sorry for typos "sy hat" = say that, "goo" = good
--
Phil
Digital amnesia risk ! - cheddar
point, would you sy hat "Dane elec" and "Kingston" and "Sandisk
Ultra" (all offering 1gb cards for less than a tenner) are
goo, reliable brands?

Kingston are reputable and Sansdisk are fine though IMO Lexar are the leader in this area, I once went to a presentation by a Lexar tech bod, very impressive, the difference between various manufacturers cards is more than you may think! Hence I would not buy a Dane whatever, and if a Kingston was a tenner and a Sandisk 15 quid I would still pay 20 quid for a Lexar Pro.
Digital amnesia risk ! - Stuartli
There are also different speeds available. See, for instance:

tinyurl.com/24tgmr

Some special offers this weekend on the TodayOnly page:

www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/
What's for you won't pass you by
I want to buy a new computer - Mapmaker
My trusty old beast has probably reached the end of its life. The hard drive sometimes makes awful grinding noises. It has 128MB of RAM, and RF described it as a boat anchor two years ago. So what do I replace it with?

It should be a laptop. It must have a good screen - looking in Curry's this week all the laptops they sell have much better screens than I recall noticing 18 months ago.

It does not need to be able to download films from the 'net. It will not be used for playing games over the 'net.

It needs to be able to word process and do spreadsheets. Just like my PCW8256 used to be able to. And to surf the 'net more quickly than this thing will do

Three sources spring to mind. Dell's advertisements in the newspaper... £350 for a laptop seems cheap, but I imagine that to be a reasonably expensive route. Those computer fairs where you what I presume to be last year's stock. A reconditioned computer from eBay*.

*My car is second hand. My dining table and chairs and cutlery, most of my furniture, my pictures, my carpets are all second hand (and who knows how many owners they have all had over the last 200 years). So why not a computer?
I want to buy a new computer - Baskerville
A 200 year-old laptop will be running Windows XP (I think it came out around the time of Waterloo). Don't you want Vista?

Here's your problem. At the cheap end a laptop will be heavy and fragile (so not very portable). But second hand laptops, even "reconditioned" ones, may have had quite a life and may not be a good long-term bet (I assume this is heirloom material). My personal feeling is that I'd marginally favour cheap and new over cheap and reconditioned when it comes to laptops. But then my cast-offs are very beaten up and pretty much worthless when I've finished with them.
I want to buy a new computer - Altea Ego
This is a VERY bad time to buy a NEW computer. MS is pushing vista (in reality this means MS is offering Vista to computer makers cheaper than XP and providng incentives for units shipped)

This means

1/ Hardware that is NOT suitable for VIsta, is having Vista pre loaded on it
2/ VIsta is bug ridden and an age away from the rock steady reliability of XP-SP2

My advice?

Buy second hand or hunt down old stock preloaded with XP. The secret of life the universe and everything is that stuff written for a 32 bit version of Visa will work on XP! The other way round is not guaranteed! This means that XP is future proof for the next 7 years.,
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
This is a VERY bad time to buy a NEW computer.
MS is pushing vista (in reality this means MS is offering
Vista to computer makers cheaper than XP and providng incentives for
units shipped)

It's worse than you thought. Ubuntu 7.04 won't be out until April and Mac OSX 10.5 may well not appear until June. What's a girl to do?

I agree though about Vista. A relative of mine went ahead against my advice and is having a nightmare with a custom-built machine. The builder (well known, good reputation) didn't understand Vista it seems.
I want to buy a new computer - cheddar
£500 will buy a good spec laptop that is compact and robust, with a widescreen display if you want it, with a "crystalbrite" display if you want it (I dont like them personally though good for watching DVDs) and with high spec basic components like Intel an 945 chipset, a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo processor, 1GB memory, a DVD+RW drive and an approx 80GB hard drive (you dont want more than 80GB data on a portable computer.

Only pay more if you must have Bluetooth, 3G, 17" display, the very fastest Core 2 Duo processor, a 250GB hard drive etc.

Look at Acer, an Aspire is more for home use, multimedia etc, has the crystalbrite screen, a Travelmate more business orientated though specs are similar:

www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_Laptops/cat.asp?PT_Ma...y

www.ebuyer.com/UK/store/45/cat/Notebooks/Laptops

www.dabs.com/productlist.aspx?&CategorySelectedId=...1

www.simplyacer.com/

Comet had an Acer Aspire 5634 for £650 recently, very good spec for the price, 2Gb memory etc.

In a way it would have been better to buy a few weeks ago, PCs bought with XP before 15th March came with free Vista upgrade. I would still stick with XP currently, there are issues with Vista not least of which drivers for preipherals you might have such as router.modem. printer, scanner, camera etc. If Vista go for Home Premium or Business rather than Home Basic.
I want to buy a new computer - cheddar
Scuse spellin!

Also further to TVM's point most retailers have good deals on very good spec latest model machines on XP MCE or XP Pro for around £500 or less, it just that two weeks ago you would have got a Vista upgrade thrown in.
I want to buy a new computer - Mapmaker
>>In a way it would have been better to buy a few weeks ago, PCs bought with XP before 15th March came with free Vista upgrade. I would still stick with XP currently,

So better; or worse....??? ;)

So I sticks with me boat anchor. Will a splodge of WD40 on the HDD stop the awful whirring that happens increasingly frequently on start up - particularly if the computer has been unattended for a week or so. When it does this, a reboot quietens it.
So I sticks with me boat anchor. Will a splodge
of WD40 on the HDD stop the awful whirring that happens
increasingly frequently on start up - particularly if the computer has
been unattended for a week or so. When it does
this, a reboot quietens it.

The noise is either the fan or the HDD. If it shte fan WD40 will fix it, if its the disk it wont, and the disk will fail and you will have a genuine boat anchor when it goes.

Read my last post, now is a good time to find the last of those machines with XP. NO wants wants them now tho the poor saps know no better.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I want to buy a new computer - Stuartli
This is an excellent company to deal with for sales and special offers:

www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/New_Dell_Laptops.html

You'll find other marques on the home page.

I want to buy a new computer - Dalglish
.. PCs bought with XP before 15th March came with free Vista upgrade. I would still stick with XP currently,

mapmaker:
i am not hearing too many (not anything of significance to speak of really) problems with vista, and certainly for what you want, it should be no problem at all preinstalled on a new laptop.

in which case, look at these two dell offers from this week:
www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=429871
www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=429848

or if you want the dell product with xp instead of vista, look here:
www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=424112

also look at the advice given here a few days ago to " m.m "

I want to buy a new computer - Dalglish
also look at the advice given here a few days ago to " m.m "

>>

here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=49456&...e
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=49456&...e
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=49661&...e
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=49863&...e

Re the Vista upgrade "thrown in", this may be of interest:

tinyurl.com/ypcpod
I want to buy a new computer - Citroënian {P}
I'm with everyone on Vista. I'm running it on my MBP under Parallels and without Aero, I can't really see what it does better than XP. Take advantage and get a decent XP box while they're going cheap. Just ordered a Vaio B series through work, it's the last XP box Sony are selling with XP as standard.

You'll not go too far wrong with Dell, but try and get it with XP, you'd be better off.

That said, if you've got safe copies of your important data away from the anchor, running with that for a bit longer will mean you'll get more for your £££ when you decide to swap.
>>I can't really see what it does better than XP. >>

Personally I'll be sticking with XP for as long as possible - it;s proved the most stable and reliable OS I've ever used over the past 25 years or more.

This may prove of interest, although I haven't had much personal involvement with Vista so far:

www.cnet.com/4520-13111_1-6687520-1.html
I'm with everyone on Vista. I'm running it on my
MBP under Parallels

That's like being married to a supermodel with an IQ of 180 and then going out and paying for hookers. Don't you feel dirty?
>> I'm with everyone on Vista. I'm running it on
my
>> MBP under Parallels
That's like being married to a supermodel with an IQ of
180 and then going out and paying for hookers. Don't you
feel dirty?

Mind linux is like getting a porny book and playing with yourself.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Mind linux is like getting a porny book and playing with
yourself.

I swear I'm only reading it for the articles. And I keep it hidden inside a copy of "Unix Command Line For Dummies."
I want to buy a new computer - Citroënian {P}
{snip } ...IQ of 180... {snip}

Laughing..yes, you're right. I need XP for work so its a necessary evil. Had to use Boot camp as well as, since Parallels USB support isn't great as yet. Coherence is though, like that a lot.

I'm telling anyone who'll listen that Macboks are top drawer, I'm writing this on SWMBO's Macbook, loving them. Don't want to start another religious war on Mac/PC lines, but anyone looking for a computer domestically should really look at the Apples - given the discounts they do on the Apple Store refub section, you get as much power (if not more than a PC) for the same money, with the bonus of OS X & iLife. And if you hate it, use boot camp and get a lightning fast Windows machine.

A Macbook could be as little as £549 if you catch it right, more than we're thinking of spending here, but it's a lot of bang for the buck

(and BV, thanks for the help/advice in my early Apple days, you were right!)

I want to buy a new computer - M.M
Mapmaker,

I was given loads of help by the guys here when I asked about buying a laptop a few weeks ago. Similar to you much of our stuff at home is older/used but after looking about I decided the most likely satisfaction would be from a new laptop. Oddly I found many of the refurbished and similar sourced machines were often very poor value compared with the current low new prices.

There is currently a Dell at £329 delivered that would suit you....and I watched similar spec 1yr old machines go for more than that on EBay!

Two weeks on I can report that following (mostly) the advice given on HJ I'm more than happy.

I have Vista (Home Premium) but would have been quite happy to take XP it it had been available.... but all the new machines I looked at were Vista loaded. I have found it stable and to be honest have not seen any of the reported bugs.

I have a glossy or crystalbright screen which is brilliant for images and movies but I would prefer the older matt screen for Word/Excel and outdoor use.

Mine is a larger heavy machine because that is what felt best for our use around the house. We will not be carrying it on travels apart from in the car so weight not an issue.

The icing on the cake was getting a wi-fi modem a couple of days after the laptop. Making the laptop wireless has doubled its use within the family... great success.

DW
Printing at right angles - drbe
I wish to print text on sheets on A5, with at the bottom a number of tear off strips at right angles. These tear off strips would have a name and a phone number on them.

You know, the sort of thing you see stuck to lampposts at the side of the road offering work, or things for sale.

How do I do that please, O expert ones?
Printing at right angles - Altea Ego
I would use MS excel, and format the row of cells. Excel can format text into any driection between 0 and 180 degrees.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Printing at right angles - JH
d
or you could use Word and Format, Text Direction for the text you want at right angles. Maybe put a box or 1 * 1 table at the bottom and format everything inside that as you require.
JH
Printing at right angles - cheddar
... or used text boxes and rotate the 90deg.
M.S. Outlook - malteser
Just to prove that I am not biased against Microsoft products per se, I am now using M.S.Office, including Outlook. The integration of all the elements is a huge advantage, of course.

I have configured Outlook to my liking, except for the ability to display attachments, particularly pictures, in line rather than as an icon in the toolbar.
I cannot find an option to do this, even with the mail format set to "rich text" rather than" HTML".

Is there a secret?

Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
M.S. Outlook - Citroënian {P}
Roger,

Not 100% but the later versions of Outlook disable any automatic viewing of attachments (or opening in some cases) in case they carry malicious content (viruses, etc), so this feature is likely to be missing by design.

Lee

M.S. Outlook - cheddar
Better off set to HTML as default.

In Outlook XP (XP is 2002, 2003 is similar) Open Outlook, click on Tools > Options > Mail format > Message format - choose "HTML" - then > Internet format and check ?When an HTML e-mail message contain pictures etc".

That should do it.

In Outlook Express, Open OE, click on Tools > Options > Security - then un-check ?Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail?

Regards.

M.S. Outlook - Stuartli
>>then un-check ?Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail? >>

Also, just above, you can safely uncheck "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that can potentially be a virus".

Your AV utility such as Avast! covers this area.
M.S. Outlook - malteser
Stuartli & Cheddar - thanks for your suggestions which I have followed. (I have Office 2002, updated very recently with security and SP updates)

I still cannot see images sent by email, to Outlook, in "real time".
Specifically I want to be able to see the photos. of our grandchildren , sent from the U.K., in the body of the message, not as an icon requiring an external photo. editor to open.

M.S. Outlook - Stuartli
>>Specifically I want to be able to see the photos. of our grandchildren , sent from the U.K., in the body of the message, not as an icon requiring an external photo. editor to open.>>

If you open OE's Help and type "pictures, inserting" into the search box you'll find the means to do what you require.

PS

Should have stated to select the second option in the menu panel which appears
What's for you won't pass you by
M.S. Outlook - malteser
It's Outlook, NOT Outlook Express - I'm O.K. with the latter!

I've been meddling with my computer .... - L'escargot
I've been meddling with my computer and I've inadvertently dragged a shortcut icon out of one of the programmes in the programmes list and onto the desktop. I assumed I would be merely copying the icon onto the desktop. How do I get it back where it belongs?
--
L\'escargot.
I've been meddling with my computer .... - BazzaBear {P}
Do you mean out of the start menu list?
If so, it's just a matter of doing exactly the opposite. Drag it to the start menu button, and the menu should open, then drag it to the place you want it and drop.
I've tried that but it didn't work. I 've also tried dragging it from it's location in C:\Windows\Help and that didn't work either. I dragged it to the place I wanted to drop it, but it didn't drop! In case it makes any difference, it's an Adobe Acrobat pdf file.
--
L\'escargot.
I've been meddling with my computer .... - No FM2R
Are you trying to drop it in to the list of recently used files and/or the list of recently used programs ? Because it won't do that.

Other than that, it shoudl move it. I just tried it myself without any issue. What happens when you try to drop it ?
I've been meddling with my computer .... - Stuartli
Try right clicking on its original>Create Shortcut and then dropping the shortcut onto the Start Menu..

Or right click on the Start button>Properties>Customise>add Shortcut.
Are you trying to drop it in to the list of
recently used files and/or the list of recently used programs ?

Nope ~ into a programme via Start>All Programmes.

>>What happens when you try to drop
it ?

Nothing!
--
L\'escargot.
I've been meddling with my computer .... - Dalglish

funny that.
someone with a name that rings a bell asked a similar question, and the solution given there might work for you ! :: ;-) ::

I've been meddling ........ - L'escargot Thu 9 Nov 06 17:18
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=46336&...f

try it and see. otherwise, come back here and post a few more specific details of where the shortcut icon is and was it was originally, etc.

I've been meddling with my computer .... - Brian Tryzers
I think the answer here depends on your version of Windows. XP allows you to drop directly into the Start menu, but I don't think 95 and 98 did. (Can't remember with 2000 - that may be like XP.) 95 and 98 require you to right-click on the task bar, select Properties and go into the Start Menu...Customize panels. (Brings up a Windows Explorer panel that lets you move items into the Start menu.) Fiddly but not truly frightening.
I've been meddling with my computer .... - Dalglish
l'escargot :

if you have not found the item i referenced in the thread above, it is here:
Thu 9 Nov 06 20:52
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=46336&...e

As well as being a meddler I've also got a short memory!

Without referring to my Nov 06 post, by trial and error I finally managed it by dragging and dropping it into the All Programmes list and then dragging and dropping it from there into the actual programme.

I'm L'escargot ~ I'm slow (witted) ! Doh!

Head now withdrawn into shell in shame!

Thanks everyone for your continued patience.

--
L\'escargot.
I've been meddling with my computer .... - tyro
L'escargot.

No reason for shame. You've just made me (& perhaps a few others) feel a lot better!
Keyboard markings wearing off - L'escargot
After only 5 years the markings on the most frequently used keys on my e~machines keyboard are starting to wear off. Is this because it's a cheapo? What replacement would you recommend? I don't need anything fancy.
--
L\'escargot.
Keyboard markings wearing off - borasport20
Well if you want another cheapo, Scans' cheapest is £4.10 inc vat - www.scan.co.uk

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Keyboard markings wearing off - Stuartli
>>Scans' cheapest is £4.10 inc vat - www.scan.co.uk>>

But presumably plus delivery...:-(

Try your local Tesco or even discount store for a basic keyboard.

However, wireless keyboard and mouse sets are as little as £9.99 these days and many find them more satisfying to use.
Keyboard markings wearing off - SpamCan61 {P}
>>However, wireless keyboard and mouse sets are as little as £9.99 these days and many find them more satisfying to use.

One thing to watch out for here is battery life of the optical mouse, I bought a cheapo 'PCLine' wireless keyboard / mouse set a while back, a couple of alkaline AAAs in the mouse last about a fortnight. On the other hand the AAs in SWMBO's Dell wireless optical mouse last best part of a year.
>>On the other hand the AAs in SWMBO's Dell wireless optical mouse last best part of a year.>>

I use 2300mA rechargeables in my wireless keyboard and optical mouse - the former's batteries last months and those of the mouse about six to eight weeks. As my system is being used for many hours a day I find that quite acceptable.

The keyboard and mouse set I have was acquired from Lidl under its Silvercrest brand name and cost £19.99 - in actual fact, like so many of these products, they comprise rebadged models from A4Tech, a renowned Far East manufacturer.

See:

www.a4tech.com/en/

You may well spot your own somewhere in the lineup...:-)
Keyboard markings wearing off - L'escargot
Will my computer automatically recognize a new keyboard or do I have to configure something?
--
L\'escargot.
Keyboard markings wearing off - Dynamic Dave
Should just be plug and play.
If you buy a standard corded keyboard it should, as DD states, straightforward.

A wireless version will need the drivers installed and the keyboard channel "keyed" to the receptor - if you get a mouse as well this will involve using two different channels and is equally straightforward.
Tidying-up Forwarded Emails - drbe
Like many BRers I suspect, I receive and forward already forwarded emails. These are sometimes business orientated, but perhaps more often amusing or even rude.

By the time these have been forarded and re-forwarded there is a long list of senders and recipients and one has to scroll down quite a long way to see the message that matters.

The latest one I have received shows an animated drawing of a number of human figures. The top of the drawing moves and somehow the number of people depicted changes from twelve to thirteen - quite intriguing!

My question is - is it possible to remove the previous senders and recipients?

As usual, my thanks in advance. I won't embarrass anyone by trying to send them money. Simple language please.
Tidying-up Forwarded Emails - Stuartli
>>The latest one I have received shows an animated drawing of a number of human figures. The top of the drawing moves and somehow the number of people depicted changes from twelve to thirteen - quite intriguing!>>

Had this one about six months ago - very intriguing...:-)

Re eliminating the e-mail addresses. When you Forward an e-mail you should get a new e-mail message panel up to send on - in the body of the message will be the list of other recipients as well as you and these can be removed by highlighting and then Deleted.

It's all I do.
Thanks, Stuartli, That didn't work. However, it set me thinking (always dangerous) I saved it as a draft, then edited the draft and sent that.

BTW How does it work?
Tidying-up Forwarded Emails - Stuartli
I'm surprised you can't just use the Forward method - I've sent on (i.e. forwarded) several e-mails this morning (with the usual round of jokes, video funnies etc) and it works fine for me using Outlook Express.

Saving it as a Draft seems to be based on the same philosophy and, as it works for you, problem solved...:-)
I'm surprised you can't just use the Forward method - >>

I am using yahoo.co.uk for my email - if that makes a difference? When forwarding, a box opens, but it doesn't contain the actual email - it says words to the effect that the email is attached.

It wasn't a problem as such, more that I thought the forwarded email was looking untidy! Thanks for your thoughts and help.
Tidying-up Forwarded Emails - Dalglish
... I am using yahoo.co.uk for my email

it should not make a difference if you use outlook, outlook-express, etc. as your pop mail client - see here on instructions to set it up:
help.yahoo.com/help/uk/mail/pop/

Tidying-up Forwarded Emails - Dalglish
.. BTW How does it work?

drbe: i presume you are asking how the "trick" works. and i assume you are referring to this
www.defectiveyeti.com/images/1213.gif

if so, the solution is at www.defectiveyeti.com/archives/001258.html