First service - Evo
Hi,

I am about to take my VW Golf GTI for its first service tomorrow and i am abit worried as last time (different car , different dealership) i put my car in for a service and came back with a dent and some scratches which i had never seen before and i am now concern history will repeat itself........

should i get the guys from the dealership to take a look at the car before handing me keys to them?...
Re: First service - Graham
Mmm If you do ouy will feel foolish (I would anyway) if you don't you'll wish you did.

I bought an ex- demonstrator from my local VW dealer. When I called him about the mud flaps that it had, he confirmed that all the dems had them fitted. So, why did he steal mine then (as I remember them being on during the test drive etc).
"One moment sir.... oh no yours didn't."
"And the ABS?"
"Who told you it had it abs?"
"You did!"
"No I didn't"
"I only bought it because I wanted ABS"

and so it went on. The service? I don't believe they ever did one. But I can't prove any of it so I don't have a leg to stand on. But I'll never buy a car from a VW dealer in Stevenage ever again.
Re: First service - Big Vern
Damned if you do and damned if you don't, same thing when agreeing work, you should really get the service manager to sign a bit of paper outlining work you want done, but you feel a bit stupid insisting on it. A really good dealership / local independant will do this as a matter of course, however these are few and far between. Might be an idea to ask for a blank damage report sheet from a hire company next time you hire a car and photocopy it and had a compled one in to the service manager along with a list of the work you want done.

Otherwise scrape the car yourself once and get over it, it does wonders, suddenly you can park it where you want and not care!
Re: First service - RickyBoy
You ask the Service Reception Manager to step outside! ? obviously only to walk around your Golf, get him to agree that it's a 'square' motor (i.e. no scratches, dents, thumbprints,etc.) where they shouldn't be and tell him if it's not like that at the end of the day you'll beat seven shades of... You get the picture?

Be assertive mate, if it's returned with 'flaws' go for the jugular.

Happy servicing...
Re: First service - Pat
Evo,

I know exactly how you feel. When I leave my Audi in for a service I do worry about how it's moved around, dirt on the seats, scratches, dents etc. Though I haven't gone as far as asking the service manager to inspect the car - not yet, anyway!

I always ask them to write on the job sheet that I don't want it washed or cleaned inside. I haven't had a problem yet and I'm sure the service manager thinks I'm a bit over-protective, though I think making requests like this helps to get the message across that they're dealing with an expensive piece of your property. He now knows me as the guy who insists on 5,000 mile oil/filter changes and not the recommended 10,000 mile ones!

Keep them on their toes. You pay top dollar for their service - demand top quality treatment of you and your motor.

Regards

Pat