Is Banning Bikes On Topic? - The
If motorcyclists were a race, this would be classed as discrimination and we'd be reporting Mr Meacher to the Race Relations Board!
Re: Is Banning Bikes On Topic? - Derek
Unfortunately, some bikers give the rest of us a bad name. It happens in all sections of society and any minority can become a target.

There must be groups of "travellers" who don't make a mess of the countryside, 4x4 drivers who don't tear up ancient paths and cyclists who obey traffic lights. However, the thoughtless actions of some miscreants in those groups simply get reflected on the reasonable majority.

I don't see this as an unfair swipe at bikers as a whole, but the insuperable problem of sorting out the good from the bad.
Re: Is Banning Bikes On Topic? - Brian
Going home last night on a NSL 60 road I was overtaken by another biker who was doing at least the ton. I never saw him coming and he was out of sight in less than 20 seconds.
THAT is what gives bikers a bad name.
Re: Is Banning Bikes On Topic? - Dave
C'mon Brian!

Car drivers routinely ignore speed limits!

A biker is *much* more likely to stick to 30's & 40's.

However I agree that a small percentage of any one group of road users give the rest a bad name.

Except car drivers and cyclists who are all irresponsible and shuold be banned. ;-)
Re: Is Banning Bikes On Topic? - David W
The problem I have Dave is.........

So much is heard from bikers about having to be so much better "motorists" than car drivers because they have to ride for themselves and the failings of others. The classic being the "this old idiot who pulled out in front of me" comment.

But then the same biker will be doing warp speed and expect impossible advance reactions from his fellow motorists.

We live on a country main road that is part of a straight section for perhaps five miles. Our group of houses is smack in the middle of a NSL section between two 30/40 limit villages. Hence we get the max speed outside. Now I really don't mind this, bikes routinely pass here at 80mph+ in the day and I guess at 100mph some nights. Sounds unlikely?? Not with a straight road and no cameras.

What does dissapoint me is when I'm waiting at the top of the drive to pull across the road, there is a car parked part on the road opposite and a mum with two small kids stands waiting for the bus....and the commuting bikes still cane past at 80. If they read all those hazards correctly the'd be down to 50, covering the brake and horn.

It is a sad fact each one of these occasions negates the next time I hear the "he pulled out in front of me" argument.

I don't ride a bike any more but like them, I'm happy to see speed over the national limit on the open road in carefully considered circumstances. The main proviso must be the "speeder" has to take the fine, ban, death card that is dealt. And avoid killing anyone else please.

When hazards abound the speed must be hauled off, and too often that just doesn't happen.

What point am I trying to make? I really haven't a clue!

David
Re: Is Banning Bikes On Topic? - Flat in Fifth
May I suggest the point you are trying to make David, is that people with the right attitude should apply common sense, but then I'd just be repeating myself.
Re: Is Banning Bikes On Topic? - Dave
I agree with your words DW! I will always slow for a junction or driveway when on the bike. This is for purely selfish reasons [1] but it does have two advantages:

First would enable me to avoid unexpected children/adults/dogs/cats jumping out.

It has to be polite to reign in the revs from my air cooled 4 when passing peoples houses. [3]

I also never put myself in a position where another motorist has to change speed or direction to avoid me.

All other bikers should do so if they want to live to grow old and grumpy and not get my excellent jokes on HJs bulletin board.

[1] "Sorry, I didn't see you mate." [2]
[2] Probably spoken to my mother rather than my mangled corpse.
[3] Although why the occupants *wouldn't* want to hear such a great sound I just don't know.
Re: Is Banning Bikes On Topic? - David W
Thanks Dave, you can have a virtual pass to the the Fen straight then.

And of course you live another day to enjoy the real pleasure of the Rover ;-)

Best weekend for us is that of the BMF rally. It's just up the road and we are on the non-motorway alternative route. Some brilliant machines pass the drive and 99.9% demonstrating excellent riding discipline.

David