Sat Nav told me to endager lives - runboy
"Driver turns left onto railway line because her sat nav told her to turn left":

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6430859.stm
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - Lud
Only endangering her own life, surely? Or was she driving a steamroller?

Very funny any way you look at it, although I'm glad no one was harmed. Where will she go next?
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - ablandy
i know that crossing. I am amazed that she could have made a mistake!

It normally has a man controlling it.
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - Armitage Shanks {p}
A man trying to control a woman - there's the problem!
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - mfarrow
It normally has a man controlling it.

This probably saved her life!

All full-barrier crossings have a man patrolling them locally or on CCTV 24/7. Had it have been a half-barrier crossing then no-one would have been watching.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - Bromptonaut
Only endangering her own life, surely?

It was a car on a l/c that caused the disaster at Upton Nervet. 7 dead. Selby was also a car on the line, albeit having run off the road.
OK, forgot that one, but cars don't usually derail trains.... and that train was unlucky in that there was a coal train coming the other way.
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - Hamsafar
She must have been gorgous not to have been charged!
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - Roly93

Can't have been that gorgeous she was 52 !
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - Martin Devon

She has been allowed another offence because she is gorgeous!

Pedantic..MD.!! sorry
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - graham woods
The police must have read BETWENN THE LINES and thought this is an odd case !!!
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - BazzaBear {P}
Sounds more like stupidity endangering lives to me.
As my dear old mum would have said "If your sat-nav told you to jump off a cliff, would you?"

Point: That sentence may have made it sound like my mum is dead, this is not the case.
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - Galaxy
Top Gear recently demonstrated the effects of a train hitting a car on a level crossing.

I wouldn't have wanted to have been in the car!

Sat Nav told me to endager lives - L'escargot
I expect if she was told to stick her head into a bucketful of water she would do!
--
L\'escargot.
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - Kiwi Gary
Why on earth do people treat Satnavs as more than recommendations anyway? As far as I am aware, a replacement for the necktop computer is still a long way off.
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - DP
As far as I am aware, a replacement for
the necktop computer is still a long way off.

Sadly there are some people who seem to have shut theirs down while they await said replacement.

Sat Nav told me to endager lives - Baskerville
I expect if she was told to stick her head into
a bucketful of water she would do!

Would she have been able to? Surely it would have been too buoyant.
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - sierraman
>> I expect if she was told to stick her head
into
>> a bucketful of water she would do!
Would she have been able to? Surely it would have been
too buoyant.

That was funny-perhaps she could tilt her head so water would go in one ear and air come out of the other.
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - Brian Tryzers
>As my dear old mum would have said "If your sat-nav told you to jump off a cliff, would you?"

I read a story a while ago of a car (a BMW 7 IIRC, in Belgium, also IIRC) ending up in a dock because the satnav didn't remind its driver to wait for the ferry. So I suspect the answer to Bazza's mum's question is too often Yes.

Sat Nav told me to endager lives - Dipstick
Did the driver end up somewhere similar?
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - ForumNeedsModerating
a replacement for the necktop computer is still a long way off.

Brilliant neologism Kiwi Gary - nearly coughed up a Weetabix laughing at that.

Surely this lady must be in a medal position for the Darwin Awards 2007?
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - BazzaBear {P}
>As my dear old mum would have said "If your sat-nav
told you to jump off a cliff, would you?"
I read a story a while ago of a car (a
BMW 7 IIRC, in Belgium, also IIRC) ending up in a
dock because the satnav didn't remind its driver to wait for
the ferry. So I suspect the answer to Bazza's mum's
question is too often Yes.

That's worrying. If she asked you a question like that, in that tone of voice, saying yes was a quick route to a smack!
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - oilrag
>> She must have been gorgous not to have been charged!
>>
"Can't have been that gorgeous she was 52 !"

I would rather spend time with Judy Dench than any young airbrains in the city tonight :)
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - madf
Sat Nav systems are an extension of Darwinism then?
madf
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - Martin Devon
Sounds more like stupidity endangering lives to me.
As my dear old mum would have said "If your sat-nav
told you to jump off a cliff, would you?"
Point: That sentence may have made it sound like my mum
is dead, this is not the case.

Bazz, she'll crack on forever with that wisdom..bless 'er!

VBR................MD
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - Bagpuss
A mate of mine in the USA has a Toyota with an OEM SatNav. When you switch it on, a disclaimer screen appears basically saying something along the lines of the driver will accept all responsibility for control of the car and Toyota is absolved of liability for any actions resulting from following instructions generated by the SatNav. If you don't press the button to accept the disclaimer then the SatNav won't be activated.
And you'd better toe the line from then on or it will lead you into the middle of a deadly wilderness and abandon you, and serve you right IMHO.
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - philipb
It doesn't say in the article whether it was a turn-by-turn Sat Nav or one with a full map. My VW MFD2 has both screens: a large map by the radio with a small turn by turn between speedo and rev counter. I do find that sometimes the turn by turn screen is a little confusing at complex junctions but I can usually work out what to do by looking at the large map. For example, when I go from Edge Lane out of Liverpool onto the M62, which is straight ahead through the traffic lights, the turn-by-turn tells me to turn right but the map shows clearly where I want to be heading. Needless to say, the only time for map reading is when you are stationary at a junction hence the value of the smaller display which gives just enough information to guide whilst driving.

Sat Nav told me to endager lives - mare
My mate's Tourag / toureg / cheap Cayenne thing has the full screen sat nav, and we succeeded in taking the wrong turn in Plymouth the other day - two mini roundabouts, he was going to fast and had to slow down for the first roundabout. Presumably the sat nav times its instructions based on your speed and position, and based on the higher speed told him to go right, which turned out to be wrong.

I don't have sat nav - it still seems a bit flawed personally. Plus on the VW one, the motorways are orange, surely they should be blue!
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - Stuartli
Just been reading about this incident in today's Daily Mail.

I have just one small query to make.

Why would this woman be using a satnav whilst driving home from work?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - Nsar
I think the short answer is that she is a complete eejit as her actions have demonstrated. The alternative could be that her husband is a Bedouin.

But when you see all these cars with sat nav screens lit up on motorways - you do have to wonder about how stupid you have to be to need one in those circumstances. How difficult can it be to remember a M/way junction number or the name of the town or city you're heading for?

Sat Nav told me to endager lives - tr7v8
But when you see all these cars with sat nav screens
lit up on motorways - you do have to wonder about
how stupid you have to be to need one in those
circumstances. How difficult can it be to remember a M/way junction
number or the name of the town or city you're heading
for?

Nothing to do with being stupid, everything to do with a journey not starting & finishing on the motorway. If I'm using mine then it gets fitted at the start of the journey & taken off at the end. I might add that even on the motorway it's warning of speed cameras etc.
What are you meant to do just attach it to the windscreen for the bits of the journey you don't know? I'm sure plod will love that 3 points & £60 please!
Speed cameras on motorways - you need to be reminded that you're in roadworks where there's a temp speed limit?

I'll just keep on using my eyes and brain - they came free and no-one's come up with better tools for the job.
>Speed cameras on motorways - you need to be reminded that you're in roadworks where there's a temp speed >limit? I'll just keep on using my eyes and brain - they came free and no-one's come up with better tools for the >job.

Can tell you don't travel far hence not needing Sat Nav. Loads of cameras on motorways not just in road works. Fine if you're local & a regular user but I do 22K miles a year & a lot of it is in new areas where I don't.
Regular ones on the Reigate Hill M25 in around 3-4 locations for starters. Road works I don't have an issue with although I do use the TT as a speed monitor hence me doing exactly the speed limit whilst you'll be doing 3-6MPH less & wondering why I'm overtaking!
"but I do 22K miles a year" OK I'm sorry, I'm obviously not in your league.

But when I do get to be as much of a cool driver as you are I'll be sure to remember your advice.

You need sat nav you say. You must have had a really tough time out on the roads before it was invented. I'm doing fine without it, maybe we really are different kinds of drivers.

"but I do 22K miles a year" OK I'm sorry, I'm
obviously not in your league.
You need sat nav you say. You must have had a
really tough time out on the roads before it was invented.
I'm doing fine without it, maybe we really are different kinds
of drivers.

Yup I used to do 45K a year a few years ago without one, in lower traffic densities. Then I bought one for the wife who couldn't use a map to save her life. And now I've started travelling again find it destresses a part of the journey of finding the customer. Also allows me to divert around roadworks without having a map on the wheel. And finally makes me a safer driver because I'm concentrating on driving rather than finding my way. But obviously you don't have to find obscure addresses on weird industrial estates & business parks!
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - james86
But when you see all these cars with sat nav screens
lit up on motorways - you do have to wonder about
how stupid you have to be to need one in those
circumstances. How difficult can it be to remember a M/way junction
number or the name of the town or city you're heading
for?

Also my sat nav is linked to the traffic updates system. When I'm going along, if there is an accident or a jam on my route it will work me out a quicker one. Hence I might be on the motorway, and it will bring me off at one junction and back on a couple of junctions later to avoid an accident in between. I can't tell you how much time I've saved with this service. As tr7v8 said nothing to do with being stupid.
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - mare
Why would this woman be using a satnav whilst driving home
from work?
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

My mate in the Tourag again: down to Plymouth, back on the A38 and he sets the sat nav for Bristol, having driven down five hours before! Asked why, he said that the sat nav tells how long it is to home. Ho hum.

The laugh is he lives in a lane that's been cut in two by a main road. If he followed his sat nav to the turn, he would take him to the wrong part of the lane!

I know his factory fit sat nav definitely doesn't tag speed cameras, because he sailed straight past one (hopefully no film in that one) and didn't see one until the last minute. So the speed camera argument doesn't hold with everyone.

I'll stick with my map for now.
Sat Nav told me to endager lives - rover 75
This Lady is a "senior executive with the N.H.S." I think that about says it all .
Float your 96K Merc and nearly die. - henry k
tinyurl.com/28yod8
A very lucky escape.
Includes a good view of just the roof.

"Although the track is signposted as unsuitable for motor vehicles', the driver carried on and found herself at a ford in the village of Sheepy Magna."

Float your 96K Merc and nearly die. - storme
just been to a place called Tortworth.....i live in Poole Dorset..the satnav...a honda system was impeccable absolutley perfect for going somewhere that i didnt know the directions....it made my wife's live so much nicer !!!!!

--
sometimes a little bit too much opinion....but its only because i care !!!