Golf GT TDi 2.0 - Dr Golf
In August 2006, I purchased a new Golf GT TDi 2.0. After 5,000 miles the oil warning light came on. The dipstick showed the oil level to be below the minimum. I put in half a litre of oil. At 7,000 miles the warning light came on again. The oil level was below the minimum. Is this usual or is there a problem with my particular engine?
Golf GT TDi 2.0 - Screwloose
Dr Golf

The obvious problem seems to be a lack of regular weekly checks. How did you not notice the falling oil level before the light came on? Do you even check your tyres for pressure, cuts and damage?

If a perfectly sound engine had been left to run dry and seize; then the warranty wouldn't have covered it and you'd have been looking at a £7,000 bill. Surely five minutes a week isn't worth risking a bill like that - let alone the occupants necks.

New diesels [particularly if run-in on synthetic oils] often use quite a bit of oil; it will probably get a little better with use - but check it regularly.
Golf GT TDi 2.0 - 659FBE
I have to agree with all of the above, but if the Golf is anything like my B5.5 clone, the light is an oil level light, not pressure.

PD engines do use oil during the running in period, some more than others. Mine has now done 26k miles and the oil consumption has settled down to the rate at which no added oil is likely to be needed between (10k mile) changes.

I still use the dipstick though - at least once a week. Only VAG could fit a black dipstick to a diesel engine so you can't easily see the oil level.

Golf GT TDi 2.0 - craig-pd130
On my PD the difference between max and minimum on the dipstick is under half a litre, using a pint in 2000 miles is perfectly normal.

Make sure you're topping it up with the correct VW spec oil!
Golf GT TDi 2.0 - daveyjp
My 2.0TDi has used about 3.5 litres in 31,000 miles, but most of this useage occured before it's first service.