Polo-not starting - Siba
I have a V reg Polo which wouldn't start this morning. At first I thought it was the battery as have had problems with it before and tried to jump start it but to no effect. Also I noticed the electric front windows, clock, mileometer and central locking are working so decided it can't be the battery.

When I turn the key in the ignition- nada - no click, revving etc

I'm calling AA out tomorrow to take me to a garage but just wondered if anyone had any advice or suggestions as to how much it might cost to fix

Thanks

Polo-not starting - Rattle
Have you checked the ignition fuse?
Polo-not starting - Siba
Thanks Rattle but wouldn't know where to start. Is this smtg AA can fix or will it require visit to a garage?
Polo-not starting - Rattle
Its very very easy to check, look on your users manual and it will tell you how check the fuse. Checking the fuse is as easy as checking the oil.
Polo-not starting - charlesb
I had this with a V reg polo 1.4 in 2001. AA Man spliced a wire to bypass the ? ignition coil. VW replaced under warranty. Common fault apparently.

-------------------
VW Bora (51) 2.0 SE
VW Touran (54) 1.9 TDI
Polo-not starting - Siba

Just thought I would let you know that the prob was caused by a faulty ignition switch. The AA man spiked a wire (?) which gave enough power to the started motor so he could tell the starter was ok but the switch wasn't firing.

I took the car to the nearest garage which incidentally was a Nationwide Autocentre that are recommended by the AA. After initially telling me that as the problem was a electrical error they would not deal with, they changed their mind and accepted the job when the AA man came in to check they were aware of what needed to be done. Didn't fill me with confidence.

They've come back to me today to say it will cost cost £83.23 for the job to be done - £18.07 for the part and £62 for the labour. It was more than I thought and I discussed it with the chap but there was nothing to be done on the price. IS that an average hourly rate for a mechanic?!

One thing I would warn people about - as an AA member you are entitled to a 5 or 10% discount on work done at Nationwide garages. However this excludes main dealer parts which I have found is what an ignition switch is so prob best to check when booking the car in!

Siba